Topic: America's Cup

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Yesterday's first race saw Luna Rossa out of the race just after the start because of gear failure. And Team NZ almost went underwater, with two team members going overboard, yet still taking the win.

Second race was postponed till today because of too much wind.

Two races scheduled for today. Watch it here live form San Francisco Bay.
http://tvnz.co.nz/americas-cup-video/live-stream-america-s-5488887

Posted: August 19, 2013, 09:06:48 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
And racing is postponed because of too much wind.

Reply #1 Posted: August 19, 2013, 09:22:40 am

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
What a bloody joke the whole thing is!!

Have yet to see both boats finish a race in the final.

The holders are cheats!

Give the money to the basketballers next time

Reply #2 Posted: August 20, 2013, 04:19:20 pm

Offline Hmmmgood

• Devoted Member
  • Hmmmgood has no influence.
Fuck the americas cup.

That is all i have to say.

Reply #3 Posted: August 20, 2013, 04:23:41 pm

It's not a race against another boat.

It's more like a race to get your boat over the finish line without it falling apart.

Reply #4 Posted: August 20, 2013, 04:40:21 pm

Offline Hmmmgood

• Devoted Member
No its more like whos got the most millions to spend.

Reply #5 Posted: August 20, 2013, 04:42:18 pm

Quote from: SteddieEddie;1530180
What a bloody joke the whole thing is!!

Quote from: Hmmmgood;1530182
Fuck the americas cup.

That is all i have to say.

Na, it's awesome.

The boats are amazing to watch when they're not breaking.

Reply #6 Posted: August 20, 2013, 04:46:53 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
SM's right.

It's not about  fair racing, it's a contest of technology, human endeavor, business expertise etc, a bit like Formula One.

If you want a fair contest, watch Aussie super cars, Nascar. Rugby League, where the rules work to equalize the competition.

I admit it's a better competition when the rules specify boats that are more equal, but that's a cyclical thing.

The problem at the moment is that the boats are too big and expensive, and not suited to match racing, but that's Russell Coutts's fault

Reply #7 Posted: August 20, 2013, 05:48:26 pm

Offline Equity

• Addicted
  • Equity has no influence.
No its not...the whole thing is a sham. For NZ to be racing alone, and boats to first race in the finals is fucking rediculous. They should be disqualified for not racing in the preliminaries. To be smoked by NZ technology wise and have the time to re-do your boat then race is rediculous.

Reply #8 Posted: August 20, 2013, 06:05:11 pm
"think c2w might be a little to hard core for my skills atm anyways"-Splatter

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
The boats are fucking fast.

They go faster than the wind. Physicks what bro? That shits nuts. Did you see team NZ nose dive into the water and nearly flip? That shit was BAD fucking AS.

I like it.

Reply #9 Posted: August 20, 2013, 07:07:15 pm

Offline Hmmmgood

• Devoted Member
Change the rules imo,make it so you can board the other boat and sabotage their shit.

Like pirates.

We could call it "the rape and plunder regatta" or something.

Reply #10 Posted: August 20, 2013, 08:47:05 pm

Offline Lyesalot

• Devoted Member
  • Lyesalot has no influence.
I'd watch that

Reply #11 Posted: August 20, 2013, 09:42:55 pm
iM

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Hmmmgood;1530199
Change the rules imo,make it so you can board the other boat and sabotage their shit.

Like pirates.

We could call it "the rape and plunder regatta" or something.

That sounds supreme - I would watch the shit out of that

Reply #12 Posted: August 21, 2013, 10:26:15 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
What amazing pieces of machinery. I'd ove to have a go on one of those beasts!

Reply #13 Posted: August 22, 2013, 09:06:09 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Team NZ has this one in the bag.

Unless the boat breaks.

Reply #14 Posted: August 22, 2013, 09:24:56 am

Offline Spigalau

• Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.
4 - 1

Reply #15 Posted: August 22, 2013, 09:43:12 am
49 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 6d 65 6d 62 65 72 20 77 68 65 6e 20 74 68 65 20 61 69 72 20 77 61 73 20 63 6c 65 61 6e 20 61 6e 64 20 73 65 78 20 77 61 73 20 64 69 72 74 79 2e

Those Italians are too busy eating pizza.

Reply #16 Posted: August 22, 2013, 09:45:38 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
No seriously, america's cup is fucking awesome.

It always has been, and since they bought in the AC72's it's got a real insanity about it now, which I love.

I also love how it's also just a massive pissing contest between some titans of industry (and fashion).

Reply #17 Posted: August 22, 2013, 12:02:21 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Watched it today for first time,  was awesome.

Team NZ was going like twice as fast as the wind,  can someone please explain how the fuck that works.

Reply #18 Posted: August 22, 2013, 06:01:29 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!

Reply #19 Posted: August 22, 2013, 06:09:37 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
So, has this event become a laughing stock yet?

Reply #20 Posted: August 23, 2013, 10:16:44 am

Offline Growler

I don't think it will mate, it's the F1 of sailing, big $$$$ for people to see fast machines.

I enjoy watching it, wish the races were a little more competitive but these fuckers are fast and defy physics!

Reply #21 Posted: August 23, 2013, 10:42:28 am
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Growler;1530378
I don't think it will mate, it's the F1 of sailing, big $$$$ for people to see fast machines.

I enjoy watching it, wish the races were a little more competitive but these fuckers are fast and defy physics!

They don't defy physics - from memory the Sail acts more like an Aerofoil - the reason they travel faster then the wind is the area of low pressure on the opposite side of the sail actually sucks the boat forward.

This suction can propel the boat faster than the wind.

so its more like Glitching Physics really

Reply #22 Posted: August 23, 2013, 10:57:01 am

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
But they also hover.

They are flying boats with no engine that travel twice as fast as the wind.

Why can't we use this technology on the space shuttle?

I'll be watching next race.

Reply #23 Posted: August 23, 2013, 11:23:47 am

Another strong race by Team NZ, now 5-1. They'll well on their way to taking on USA in the America's cup.

Reply #24 Posted: August 24, 2013, 10:44:26 am