Topic: Microsoft performs 180 on Xbox One

Offline Spigalau

• Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.
Amazing what a bit of consumer backlash can bring...

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

Q:    Does Xbox One require an “always on” Internet connection?
A:    No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does  require a connection to the Internet. We’re designing Xbox One to be  your all-in-one entertainment system that is connected to the cloud and  always ready. We are also designing it so you can play games and watch  Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection.

Q:    How do consumers benefit by being connected to the cloud?
A:    The cloud makes every experience better and more accessible.  Because Xbox One is powered by the cloud:

• Your games have more power available to create new gameplay, persistent worlds, and deeper experiences.
  • Your system and games can update automatically, so you shouldn’t have to wait for downloads or updates.
  • Your games and entertainment are stored and saved in the cloud, so you can access them anytime, from any Xbox One.*
  • Start a game, movie, or TV show on one console and finish exactly where you left off on another.
  • You can play multiplayer games  with your friends, stream movies or TV shows right away, and enjoy the  community and social features of Xbox Live.
  • Xbox One can recognize you, log you in and tailor your home screen just for you.

You can discover what your friends are playing, watching and listening to if they choose to share.
These are just a few examples of how customers benefit from our platform  being connected to the Internet. It brings the future of TV and games  to our consumers—and it’s designed for today and the decade ahead.

* Subject to content geographical restrictions.

Q:    When will Xbox One launch and in what markets?
A:    Xbox One will launch in markets around the world later this year. We’ll have more to share later.

Q:    Will Xbox One allow players to trade in, purchase and play pre-owned games?
A:    We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We’ll have more details to share later.

Q:    Will my current Xbox Live Gold membership work with Xbox One or will I have to buy a new one?
A:    You do not need to buy a new Xbox Live Gold membership. Your current membership will work on both Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

Posted: June 20, 2013, 09:07:05 am
49 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 6d 65 6d 62 65 72 20 77 68 65 6e 20 74 68 65 20 61 69 72 20 77 61 73 20 63 6c 65 61 6e 20 61 6e 64 20 73 65 78 20 77 61 73 20 64 69 72 74 79 2e

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Too late, fuck them for even trying it.

Though I may be tempted if Microsoft shows a little humour and renames it the Xbox 180.

Reply #1 Posted: June 20, 2013, 09:21:40 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Hey, they listened to their customer feedback and changed their policy. I'll give them credit for that.

I won't be buying either on launch. Maybe a year down the track I'll see how things look then and decide.

Reply #2 Posted: June 20, 2013, 09:34:01 am

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
If Playstation came out with the same policies I highly highly doubt Microsoft would have 'listened to their customers' and changed the Xbox.

They listened to their analysts who realised everyone were gonna buy Playstation.

Fuck them. Fuck them to hell.

Reply #3 Posted: June 20, 2013, 09:38:54 am

Offline PrinceTuiTeka

• Just settled in
  • PrinceTuiTeka has no influence.
I dont see where they have done a 180. Those answers look like typical vague media comments that arent worth a bag of assholes.

No the Xbox doesnt need to be constantly connected, but it does need an internet connect. That supports the existing comment that it would need to log on once a day.

And as to on selling games, The answer above still supports Microsofts original plan of being able to sell to registered pre apporved retailers so MS can take their cut.

Will have to wait until "they have more to share later".]

Edit: just noticed the article SM posted in other xboxy thread. Still keeping my guarded skepticism on this company however.
Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 09:50:06 am by PrinceTuiTeka

Reply #4 Posted: June 20, 2013, 09:43:03 am

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Quote from: BerG;1527465
They listened to their analysts

Exactly.

MS tried to pull some fucked up shit with that XBOne.

They must have shit themselves when the amazon poll was 15:1 in favour of the PS4.

Reply #5 Posted: June 20, 2013, 09:47:34 am
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: PrinceTuiTeka;1527467
I dont see where they have done a 180. Those answers look like typical vague media comments that arent worth a bag of assholes.

No the Xbox doesnt need to be constantly connected, but it does need an internet connect. That supports the existing comment that it would need to log on once a day.

And as to on selling games, The answer above still supports Microsofts original plan of being able to sell to registered pre apporved retailers so MS can take their cut.

Will have to wait until "they have more to share later".

Spig posted the old page.

This is the announcement from today.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

•An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Reply #6 Posted: June 20, 2013, 09:51:03 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
1st xbox one update.

Online activation enabled for all gaming, required every 24 hours.
Ability to trade and resell games has been revoked.

SUXKERS!

Reply #7 Posted: June 20, 2013, 09:59:09 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Spigalau

• Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.
So in a nutshell...

• No more always online requirement
  • The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
  • All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
  • Authentication is no longer necessary
  • An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
  • All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
  • No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
  • Region locks have been dropped

Reply #8 Posted: June 20, 2013, 10:46:49 am
49 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 6d 65 6d 62 65 72 20 77 68 65 6e 20 74 68 65 20 61 69 72 20 77 61 73 20 63 6c 65 61 6e 20 61 6e 64 20 73 65 78 20 77 61 73 20 64 69 72 74 79 2e

Offline Scunner

• Addicted
  • Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...
So family sharing is out then? If there's no restrictions on re-selling games, what publisher would sign off on having their game shared by up to 10 people.

I didn't really have much of a problem with what they were doing, apart from making the console phone home once a day to let you play. Not that I'm getting an Xbox One, at least initially.

Reply #9 Posted: June 20, 2013, 12:09:50 pm

Offline PrinceTuiTeka

• Just settled in
Might buy a cheap secondhand 360 when these drop. just to play the last of us.

Reply #10 Posted: June 20, 2013, 12:16:56 pm

Quote from: Scunner;1527477
So family sharing is out then? If there's no restrictions on re-selling games, what publisher would sign off on having their game shared by up to 10 people.

I didn't really have much of a problem with what they were doing, apart from making the console phone home once a day to let you play. Not that I'm getting an Xbox One, at least initially.

It looks like it wont be there on launch. It was a pretty cool feature.

Reply #11 Posted: June 20, 2013, 12:24:41 pm

Offline Scunner

• Addicted
  • Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...
Quote from: PrinceTuiTeka;1527478
Might buy a cheap secondhand 360 when these drop. just to play the last of us.

You mean PS3, since The Last Of Us is a Sony exclusive. :friendly_wink:

Reply #12 Posted: June 20, 2013, 12:34:14 pm

Offline PrinceTuiTeka

• Just settled in
Oh, well in that case, no 360!

Reply #13 Posted: June 20, 2013, 12:37:46 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Meh, their original intentions to screw the consumer are clear.
It is my opinion that microsoft is trying to be apple with all of their scummy business moves lately, but they don't have the products, nor the loyalty that fapple has.
Too late douchebags, Sony it is.

Reply #14 Posted: June 20, 2013, 12:46:40 pm

Offline Warcrimes

• Just settled in
  • Warcrimes has no influence.
Microsoft is fuckin stupid.

Reply #15 Posted: June 20, 2013, 04:21:44 pm
Kookynic - "facebook, it\'s a Pokédex for people"

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.

Reply #16 Posted: June 20, 2013, 08:02:23 pm

Quote from: toofast;1527527
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/the-xbox-one-just-got-way-worse-and-its-our-fault/

Good article. Being able to re-sell digital games would be awesome. I hope they re-implement this at some point.

Reply #17 Posted: June 21, 2013, 09:18:48 am

Offline Scunner

• Addicted

Reply #18 Posted: June 21, 2013, 12:19:49 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
I wasn't, and am not going to buy one either way. It's forcing me to pay for a stupid Kinect that I don't like.

I don't think anyone has an issue with not being able to sell games back to game shops for a severe loss of money, It's being able to sell them on to your friends, auction buyers that has upset a lot of people.

The internet thing doesn't bother me. It would have been great to install some sort of leniency so that if you were to go without internet for a week or 2 for whatever catastrophic reason you could still enjoy your library.

EDIT: Fuck it, who am I kidding. I'll probably buy one.

Reply #19 Posted: June 21, 2013, 01:45:40 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

Its not ideal for those of us who cannot get ADSL and only have a SHITTY FUCKING T STICK THAT CUTS OUT ALL THE TIME AND ONLY GIVES US 4GB.

Reply #20 Posted: June 21, 2013, 01:56:20 pm

That's what you get for living in the mountains.

Reply #21 Posted: June 21, 2013, 02:17:09 pm

Codex

It's not like they changed this from "the goodness of their hearts" or purely to "please the customer"

They had no fucking choice.

It was was shape up or ship the fuck out.

It was either, continue with their big brother disgusting tactics and be shat on repeatedly by Sony doing what people actually expect from a console OR change their ridiculous policies to attempt to at least sell 1 or 2 consoles

Either way they'll have to do a lot more than this to mend their brand, their IP's and other exclusives just won't cut it really. They've been pissing their customers off since the kinect release and will probably continue to do so. I don't expect that there'll be any change in real attitude from the company towards these policies and will not at all be surprised if in the near future these policies or similar policies are forced back into the xbone really, I mean, once they have your money they give 0 fucks about your opinion on the matter.

Reply #22 Posted: June 22, 2013, 06:28:53 pm