Topic: Bloody Students!

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
I'd rather see house pricing drop because there's a shift in demand, a CGT will help dissuade speculators investing in property and into more interesting parts of the economy (but it'll probably just go to Dairy) stemming from good R&D.

Reply #125 Posted: June 06, 2012, 08:41:49 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
Last I checked overseas people have a string of hoops to leap through if they want to buy here. I don't think we really need to compete with an international market with housing, a couple of straightforward laws like other small island nations have already, and we're sorted.

Reply #126 Posted: June 07, 2012, 08:57:06 pm

Offline deanox

• Just settled in
  • deanox has no influence.
Quote from: private_hell;1489079
not yet they dont - but im sure that someone will invent it - im looking at you japan

But it will end up being china, and then the robots will fritter out like furby's and kill the children!

Reply #127 Posted: June 13, 2012, 07:39:46 am

Offline varkk

• Just settled in
  • varkk has no influence.
Quote from: varkk;1488378
lol, you think they are going to reach surplus. Next year in the budget they will revise the date to be another twelve months later.

Hey guys how is that surplus coming along?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/7103387/Bollard-sees-delayed-surplus

OK so I guess I was wrong about how long until it was revised and how long until it would be predicted a surplus would occur. I wonder if treasury still believes their own lies?

Reply #128 Posted: June 15, 2012, 10:29:12 am

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: Black Heart;1488639
I love it  when people rage about Muldoon, seeing every single one of his think big projects still runs today, in the black, and have directly employed thousands of people. His debts were at least on tangible things that made returns. What the $#@! have any governments since created ? (And no relabelling/branding/imaging do not count as creations).

Kiwibank???

Reply #129 Posted: June 22, 2012, 11:16:46 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
postbank relabelled.

Reply #130 Posted: June 24, 2012, 06:28:48 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1488405
I just got an email from IRD about my student loan

What the shit? They're charging $40 a year for this?[/QUOTE]
Wow! After a decade the IRD have managed to physically track me down and send an actual letter updating me about my student loan situation.

But there seems to be some odd accounting.
(figures given are approximate)
Your Loan: $10,000
Loan Repayments: $4,000
Interest write off: $5,000
Balance Remaining: $1,000
WTF?!?! Can anyone explain this to me?

Reply #131 Posted: July 07, 2012, 12:04:24 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
I too would like to know how I can get half my loan wiped.
That would be... well into 5 figures though :P

Reply #132 Posted: July 07, 2012, 12:22:12 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
The feds finally tracked Tiwa down.

The wheels of just turn, but slowly.

Reply #133 Posted: July 07, 2012, 07:45:14 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1493061
Wow! After a decade the IRD have managed to physically track me down and send an actual letter updating me about my student loan situation.

But there seems to be some odd accounting.
(figures given are approximate)
Your Loan: $10,000
Loan Repayments: $4,000
Interest write off: $5,000
Balance Remaining: $1,000
WTF?!?! Can anyone explain this to me?

What's odd about that?

$10,000
- $4,000
- $5,000
= $1,000

The numbers seam to add up to me. Are you taught to add up differently down south?
Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 09:30:07 pm by Spacemonkey

Reply #134 Posted: July 07, 2012, 09:27:08 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1493135
What's odd about that?

$10,000
- $4,000
- $5,000
= $1,000

The numbers seam to add up to me. Are you taught to add up differently down south?

Loan Principal: $10,000
Interest: $0
Amount Repaid: $4000
Interest Write Off: $5000 (???)
Total Repayment Owing: $1000

Reply #135 Posted: July 08, 2012, 09:42:33 am

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1493135
What's odd about that?

$10,000
- $4,000
- $5,000
= $1,000

Tiwa has repaid $4000 of a $10,000 loan, and only has $1000 remaining.

What kind of math do they teach in Auckland? What kind of English do they teach in Auckland??

They must be cracking down on us. I too was recently tracked down and reminded how much I owe.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9076/loana.jpg
Bloody Students!

Ignorance (was) bliss.

Reply #136 Posted: July 08, 2012, 09:58:18 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
You, just like every body else, get's charged Interest on your student loan. It's always been like that since loans became Interest free.

The IRD then write off the Interest (if you stay in NZ).

What's odd about that?

Reply #137 Posted: July 08, 2012, 09:59:37 am

Quote from: BerG;1493155
Tiwa has repaid $4000 of a $10,000 loan, and only has $1000 remaining.

What kind of math do they teach in Auckland? What kind of English do they teach in Auckland??

He had a $10,000 loan, which was $5000 he borrowed, and $5000 Interest payments (from what I can assume with the information he has provided).

He paid back $4000, and the IRD wrote off $5000.

He has $1000 left.

Reply #138 Posted: July 08, 2012, 10:02:39 am

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Spacemonkey;1493157
He had a $10,000 loan, which was $5000 he borrowed, and $5000 Interest payments (from what I can assume with the information he has provided).

He paid back $4000, and the IRD wrote off $5000.

He has $1000 left.

You made way too many assumptions.

I borrowed $10000
I repaid $4000

I now owe: $1000

In fact: I will provide you with the exact numbers:

Account Summary: Opening Balance (This is the amount I borrowed) $9,320.00
Total Repayments Made: $3,409.89
Interest Write Off: $5,274.92

Total Owing: $635.19

With accounting like this, no wonder New Zealands economy is in shambles.
Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 10:21:04 am by Tiwaking!

Reply #139 Posted: July 08, 2012, 10:18:40 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1493156
You, just like every body else, get's charged Interest on your student loan. It's always been like that since loans became Interest free.

The IRD then write off the Interest (if you stay in NZ).

What's odd about that?

Because no interest was added before it was written off -.-

Reply #140 Posted: July 08, 2012, 11:37:56 am

It's odd.

You could log into the IRD website and see what the balance is.

IRD website is pretty crap, but it's still a thousand times better then the stupid studylink website and it's passphrase.

Reply #141 Posted: July 08, 2012, 04:42:17 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Good bye Voluntary Repayment Bonus!
Voluntary repayment bonus repealed

The voluntary repayment bonus has been repealed and will no longer be available from 1 April 2013. Any extra repayments previously made for student loan obligations for the 2010 to 2013 tax years (1 April 2009 to 31 March 2013) may still qualify for the 10% repayment bonus. Extra repayments made from 1 April 2013 onwards will no longer qualify for the bonus. However, these additional repayments will still help you pay off your student loan faster.

Reply #142 Posted: February 08, 2013, 07:46:07 pm

Offline deanox

• Just settled in
  • deanox has no influence.
Will help pay your loan off faster! That's just silly talk!

Reply #143 Posted: February 08, 2013, 08:07:32 pm

There is now absolutely no reason to pay anything more then the minimum towards student loan. Additional repayments are like throwing money in the toilet.

Better sticking it in a savings account, earn some interest.

Reply #144 Posted: February 08, 2013, 08:38:00 pm

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1517343
Good bye Voluntary Repayment Bonus!

Wait, with that bonus, you could take out your Course Related Costs ($1000) and then put it straight back in to get the bonus?

That's a bit silly.

Reply #145 Posted: February 08, 2013, 08:40:23 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Super_Hori;1517355
Wait, with that bonus, you could take out your Course Related Costs ($1000) and then put it straight back in to get the bonus?

That's a bit silly.

Or spend it on tools.

That's what I did.

Reply #146 Posted: February 08, 2013, 10:01:02 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Pyromanik

I spent it on rent, because living costs don't cover it.
By now they must think I own 5 computers, when really I was just surviving.

Reply #147 Posted: February 09, 2013, 09:47:15 am

Quote from: Pyromanik;1517383
I spent it on rent, because living costs don't cover it.
By now they must think I own 5 computers, when really I was just surviving.

Was the same here, living costs fall short of rent.

Reply #148 Posted: February 09, 2013, 10:20:34 am

Offline Pyromanik

And really, that's the bulk of the loan.
Meanwhile everyone cheating the system with allowance... shit they don't gotta pay back.

If they really wanted to stop student bullshit, they'd just cut the allowance. Go loan or go home.

Reply #149 Posted: February 09, 2013, 12:11:49 pm