Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
  • Prowess has no influence.
Quote from: Arnifix;347581
How is that better? Some parts of evolutionary theory aren't as well fleshed out as they could be, which is why scientists are constantly working on them. The big bang is not yet a fact, but at this point in time, it is THE most likely option.

And besides this, even if all these theories are wrong, that in no way lends credit to the idea of a god.

Dr James Trefil, professor of physics at Mason University, Virginia, accepts the big bang model, but he concedes that a state of emergency exists regarding fundamental aspects of explaining why the universe exists.
‘There shouldn’t be galaxies out there at all, and even if there are galaxies, they shouldn’t be grouped together the way they are.’ He later continues: ‘The problem of explaining the existence of galaxies has proved to be one of the thorniest in cosmology. By all rights, they just shouldn’t be there, yet there they sit. It’s hard to convey the depth of the frustration that this simple fact induces among scientists.’

the fact that there was a begging to the universe proves it had a cause.the universe
is not self explanitory.

Reply #1275 Posted: February 23, 2007, 09:16:50 pm

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
Quote from: Arnifix;347581
How is that better? Some parts of evolutionary theory aren't as well fleshed out as they could be, which is why scientists are constantly working on them. The big bang is not yet a fact, but at this point in time, it is THE most likely option.

And besides this, even if all these theories are wrong, that in no way lends credit to the idea of a god.

evolution is crap.it was a nice theory in darwins age but with the amout of evidence
we have now it should be thrown out.

Reply #1276 Posted: February 23, 2007, 09:20:29 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
or more rationally, Dr james Trefil simply means our understanding so far doesn't explain why galaxies are there. You've got science a little topsy turvy. You make a theory based on observation. You don't assume god or whatever interfered with nature (according to your theory), to keep the theory alive. You accept there must be a problem with your theory and try to find how things you have observed occured. hence the frustration he expresses.

Reply #1277 Posted: February 23, 2007, 09:22:58 pm

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
Quote from: Black Heart;347589
or more rationally, Dr james Trefil simply means our understanding so far doesn't explain why galaxies are there. You've got science a little topsy turvy. You make a theory based on observation. You don't assume god or whatever interfered with nature (according to your theory), to keep the theory alive. You accept there must be a problem with your theory and try to find how things you have observed occured. hence the frustration he expresses.

even when you can see all these theorys are not true and the bible story is
still is intact as the most plausible option you won't accept it.

in the 1800s the mortality rate for mother giving birth was 50%.at that time
a doctor told his staff to start washing thier hands before touching them.they
laugh at him and called him an idiot,but he was the boss so they did it.in
that hospital the mortality rate droped to less than 10%.with all the modern
knoledge they had they were shown up by something written 4000 years earlier.

Reply #1278 Posted: February 23, 2007, 09:35:15 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
ok.
earth = 6000 years
jesus = 2000 years
soon = ? "Jesus will return soon" - Bible.

Reply #1279 Posted: February 23, 2007, 09:40:53 pm

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
Quote from: Black Heart;347603
ok.
earth = 6000 years
jesus = 2000 years
soon = ? "Jesus will return soon" - Bible.

"the lord is not slow in keeping his promise,as some understand slowness.
he is patient with you,not wanting anyone to perish,but everyone to come
to repentance." 2 peter 3:9

he has been around for awile soon could be a long time.

Reply #1280 Posted: February 23, 2007, 09:50:35 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Black Heart;347568
Sorry, but at the moment I feel like I'm feeding the fish in the barrel to make them bigger targets, before i go get the gun.

"Its like shooting monkey's in a barrel!" - Crazy Ivan
Quote from: Prowess;347586
the fact that there was a begging to the universe proves it had a cause.the universe is not self explanitory.

Seems someone needs a lesson in non-causal causality

Reply #1281 Posted: February 23, 2007, 09:51:57 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
Quote from: Tiwaking!;347614
"Its like shooting monkey's in a barrel!" - Crazy Ivan

Seems someone needs a lesson in non-causal causality

you bring another theory?

Reply #1282 Posted: February 23, 2007, 09:53:59 pm

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
Quote from: dirtyape;343985
No, it is Science vs Religion. , quantum mechanics, geology, biology, virology, etc. In fact evolution should not really be included at all because it's not testable and isn't really a very good theory. But then thats why it gets picked on isn't it, too easy to discredit.

But, what about discrediting these:

Cosmology: Light from 10 billion year old stars observed

All I can say is that at least scientists maintain a level of common sense, and try and explain what is seen - rather than blindly accepting what our ancient and primitive ancestors believed. Maybe one day, scientists will discover a proper religion.

The figure shows two pulses, A and B, several microseconds wide and of nearly the same shape. Pulse B has traversed their cesium vapor cell, and pulse A has traversed the same distance (6 cm) in a vacuum, requiring the normal 0.2 nanoseconds to do so. Essentially every point of pulse B has arrived at the detector about 60 nanoseconds ‘earlier’ than the corresponding point of pulse A. The completeness of the advance of pulse B implies we could indeed use it to transmit information faster than the speed of light in a vacuum.

Whatever the outcome, it is a handy reminder that we don’t know as much as we think we know about such things as how light really behaves or propagates in deep space, the nature of elementary particles, and so on, which is all very relevant to issues, such as starlight travel-time, radiometric ‘dating’ processes, etc. The dogmatic certainty with which many researchers and popularizers write about such things as this, and about an alleged ‘big bang’, for instance, is not warranted by the data. There are a number of physicists at the ‘cutting edge’ of such things who prefer a more humble approach.

this is state of the art science that discredits bad theorys and doesnt discredit a god.

Reply #1283 Posted: February 23, 2007, 10:44:23 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Prowess;347617
you bring another theory?

Non-causal causality is not theory. Its fact

God(or the theory of) is a non-causal causalitilogical entity. That is: An existent entity without a cause. Its own premise

Tachyon's are also non-causal causalities. String theory particles are also, in effect, non-causal causalities due to simultaneous Nth dimensional inhabitant capabilities.

Reply #1284 Posted: February 24, 2007, 12:12:45 am

Offline (BHP)Clyock

• Just settled in
  • (BHP)Clyock has no influence.
Prowess, it would be nice for you to post your own ideas and theories, all you are doing is cutting and pasting crap you find on the internet. It's easy to tell because your own ideas are baddly written and poorly spelt whereas any "evidence" you come up with is grammatically pure. This is the worst thing about someone captured by religious dogma, you are unable to express an independant thought much less extrapolate an argument based on your own experience, rather you rely on presubscibed material. Which, based on the many comments of others, you have little understanding of. Dude have a thought, nail a manifesto to someones door, do something other regurgitate the nonsensicle rubbish you have been.

Reply #1285 Posted: February 24, 2007, 01:57:36 am

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
Quote from: Prowess;347565
do you know how often asteriod hi the earth? no nether why bother asking stupid questions.

Actually yes, someone calculated that a hiroshima sized event is caused by a meteor hitting the earth every year and every 300 years or so there is a bigger one.

The point is that according to your religion - 15 large asteroids have struck the earth and their crators eroded away in a 6000 year period. And that sounds reasonable to you?

And what about continental drift? The formation of islands? These things occurr over millions of years. More illusions?

Reply #1286 Posted: February 24, 2007, 02:37:51 am
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
its 6 vs 1, cut him a break.

ape 7/8ths of  the earth is water, so that means 2 are likely to hit land. I think that 1 crater is still obvious. so it boils down to 1 crater having eroded in 6000 years.

islands have popped up due to sudden volcanic activity, or large earth tremors.

continental drift, is there proof that its a slow consistant movement ?

Reply #1287 Posted: February 24, 2007, 02:48:57 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Black Heart;347700

continental drift, is there proof that its a slow consistant movement ?

haven't they measured the rate of some continents? around 2cms a years i think.

Reply #1288 Posted: February 24, 2007, 09:35:51 am

Offline (BHP)Clyock

• Just settled in
  • (BHP)Clyock has no influence.
Though continental drift is constant, the rate of movement itself is not. It would far to an ordered world for that to be true. Most rates of movment expressed are averages of centuries of
geological observation.
Thnx Arnifix my first pos rep!:bounce:

Reply #1289 Posted: February 24, 2007, 10:25:56 am

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
  • TuataraDude has no influence.
Quote from: (BHP)Clyock;347757
Though continental drift is constant, the rate of movement itself is not. It would far to an ordered world for that to be true. Most rates of movment expressed are averages of centuries of
geological observation.

So what you're saying is..."The only constant is change, but it is the rate of change that is not constant"?

The trouble with this whole argument is that those who believe in creationism will not believe what the scientists say as their methods (those of the scientists) are either flawed, invalid or simply wrong and are a test of faith. The scientists will argue about that their imperical data shows the universe to be about 13.6 billion years old (by current estimates), that atoms are made of electrons, neutrons and protons, which in turn are made up of Quarks (which come is 6 different flavours) only to have those findings questioned 50 or 100 or 300 years later. I mean, even the Big Bang is now in doubt and Inflation (noooooo, not the financial inflation :disappoin ) is taking over as flavour of the moment. Even scientists, who scoff at religious people for believing without proof are sitting there saying, "The universe is made up of 15% matter, 25% Dark Matter and the rest is Dark Energy. We can't see or measure this Dark Energy, but we can see its effects on its surroundings". Excuse me, but isn't believing in something you can't see, feel or measure exactly what religion is? Both sides are as bad as each other, with neither side willing to concede points from the other.

My 2 cents worth, but now that we only have 10c coins, I guess it gets rounded down to zero.

Reply #1290 Posted: February 24, 2007, 09:07:21 pm
Just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in.

Offline Mr_St1nky

• Addicted
  • Mr_St1nky has no influence.
Just as the simple things are always hard, but the hardest things are always simple. Applying scientific thought to matter, and knowing that we can't see something but can see its affect is different from saying a deity is responsible. We can't see wind, we can see it's affects. Because we can't see it, did god make it? or is it simply the result of barometric pressure.

Reply #1291 Posted: February 24, 2007, 10:52:23 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: (BHP)Clyock;347757
Thnx Arnifix my first pos rep!:bounce:

Thanks for being one of the few new people who sign up here for something other than begging for an unban in the BF2 forums! Off Topic always needs smart new blood.

Quote from: TuataraDude;348135
Excuse me, but isn't believing in something you can't see, feel or measure exactly what religion is? Both sides are as bad as each other, with neither side willing to concede points from the other.

Not exactly. Simply because scientists as yet have no way to measure dark energy, does not mean that they will never have a way to measure it. It is also a work in progress, as we understand more and more about the subject, we will be able to make far more precise calls regarding it.

Quote from: Mr_St1nky;348158
Just as the simple things are always hard, but the hardest things are always simple. Applying scientific thought to matter, and knowing that we can't see something but can see its affect is different from saying a deity is responsible. We can't see wind, we can see it's affects. Because we can't see it, did god make it? or is it simply the result of barometric pressure.

Best post you've ever made stinky! +1

Reply #1292 Posted: February 25, 2007, 12:24:13 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Quote from: Arnifix;348195
Not exactly. Simply because scientists as yet have no way to measure dark energy, does not mean that they will never have a way to measure it. It is also a work in progress, as we understand more and more about the subject, we will be able to make far more precise calls regarding it.

Don't you think the same applies to religion? I have a theory that if we ever find "God" it will be as a result of human development. For instance, 3GHz was unheard of a few years ago, but it lets us communicate in ways that were dreamt of in Star Trek. Who's to say that we won't be able to "talk to God" on a 100GHz phone in the near future?

Reply #1293 Posted: February 25, 2007, 09:03:39 am
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Tiwaking!

So what you're saying is..."The only constant is change, but it is the rate of change that is not constant"?

The trouble with this whole argument is that those who believe in creationism will not believe what the scientists say as their methods (those of the scientists) are either flawed, invalid or simply wrong and are a test of faith.

Thats because scientists test ideas and creationists dont have to as their ultimate answer is God. e.g "Moses parted the Red Sea", but thats impossible, Impossible + God = Miracle!!!

When Creationists interfere with science, then things get a whole lot stranger. The funny thing is that science lacks the Peter Principle(Hierarchology) due to necessary skills and motivation required for different subjects. Religious organisations on the other hand, almost totally form the base of knowledge for Heirarchology. Coincidence? I think not
My 2 cents worth, but now that we only have 10c coins, I guess it gets rounded down to zero.

Only if you pay using non-electronic banking.

And you are right: Although people go on and on about relgious and non-religious argue, they've got NOTHING on Say's and Keynesian economic 'debates'. Economerists(Trademarked word) will never agree about it until the other side is dead.
Quote from: TofuEater;348272
Don't you think the same applies to religion? I have a theory that if we ever find "God" it will be as a result of human development. For instance, 3GHz was unheard of a few years ago, but it lets us communicate in ways that were dreamt of in Star Trek. Who's to say that we won't be able to "talk to God" on a 100GHz phone in the near future?

I would assume the other end of that line would be engaged

Reply #1294 Posted: February 25, 2007, 10:04:33 am

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
  • TuataraDude has no influence.
Quote from: Tiwaking!;348297

rofl

You're probably right.

Reply #1295 Posted: February 25, 2007, 11:36:11 am
Just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in.

Offline Mr_St1nky

• Addicted
  • Mr_St1nky has no influence.

Better that than hearing, "Hello telecom, how can I help you?"

"WTF?, this is supposed to be God!"
"Well we do answer to that. After enough people started cursing their computers, "God why doth my internet connection suck ass?" Well, he asked us to take over seeing as we....well, we own this mo'fucking lines."

Reply #1296 Posted: February 25, 2007, 03:10:45 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
anyone see simpsons last night with homer and the rapture i lol'd

Reply #1297 Posted: February 25, 2007, 03:37:30 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Mr_St1nky;348487
Better that than hearing, "Hello telecom, how can I help you?"

"WTF?, this is supposed to be God!"
"Well we do answer to that. After enough people started cursing their computers, "God why doth my internet connection suck ass?" Well, he asked us to take over seeing as we....well, we own this mo'fucking lines."

Well God could outsource his phone help line to India. All the big company names are doing it

Reply #1298 Posted: February 25, 2007, 07:28:30 pm

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Surely that's what all the angels would be for?

Reply #1299 Posted: February 25, 2007, 10:20:10 pm
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.