Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.

Reply #1850 Posted: April 05, 2007, 11:16:44 am
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline (BHP)Clyock

• Just settled in
  • (BHP)Clyock has no influence.
Quote from: TofuEater;381978
http://forums.iconzarena.co.nz/showpost.php?p=380646&postcount=1094
http://forums.iconzarena.co.nz/showpost.php?p=380737&postcount=1101
http://forums.iconzarena.co.nz/showpost.php?p=380777&postcount=1102
http://forums.iconzarena.co.nz/showpost.php?p=380894&postcount=1116
http://forums.iconzarena.co.nz/showpost.php?p=380915&postcount=1121

And that's just in the last couple of pages.

None of this is abuse it may be robust debate but not abuse, you are really reaching here.
The one from Cobra is the comment he ended up apologising for wasn't it?

"Older than you...smarter than you." This is abuse to you?

Like I said earlier.. "Idiots always think if they debate the loudest they will be heard, but they don't crave the debate, only the attention."

The manner in which Chip talks down to many of the posters here could be considered a form of abuse he goads people into retaliation then does the whole "whats the problem" deal.

I know there's a lot of young folks around here - most probably students and young people in their early 20s, and during that stage of development, everything still seems black and white. It's only when they leave their parent/'s nest and start their own families (get a job, get married or not, have children, buy/rent a house etc) do they realise the world is not so black and white, and shades of grey become quite common.

This kind of post detracts from his arguements and riles the blood of those posting in reply. And I'm quite certain he's doing it on purpose for the reaction so you can hardly blame those who reply.

You are doing much the same yourself, you've picked one line out of the entire post for a quick point score instead of engaging in debate. I tried to answers your concerns and questions as best as I could and the only comment you could make was this.

Still owe you a+1 when I can.:bounce:

Reply #1851 Posted: April 05, 2007, 11:46:42 am

Offline TofuEater

Quote from: (BHP)Clyock;381998
This kind of post detracts from his arguements and riles the blood of those posting in reply. And I'm quite certain he's doing it on purpose for the reaction so you can hardly blame those who reply.

I don't dispute that - i suppose it's just that
edit: (didn't realise i hadn't finished this sentence)... just that he appeared to be under attack from all sides. It's not easy to not get personal when you feel that way. I'm not condoning what he did, but hopefully everyone can just argue the point and not the person.

Quote from: (BHP)Clyock;381998

You are doing much the same yourself, you've picked one line out of the entire post for a quick point score instead of engaging in debate. I tried to answers your concerns and questions as best as I could and the only comment you could make was this.

I'm sorry if that's the impression that's being given, it wasn't intended. I was actually going to reply to BlackHeart, but you posted after so i decided to quote you instead. So i wasn't intending anything personal.  Anyway, i've said my piece - i'm happy to leave it at that.

Reply #1852 Posted: April 05, 2007, 11:55:53 am
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
can we all be friends now?

please? :)

Reply #1853 Posted: April 05, 2007, 12:09:28 pm
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
Quote from: TofuEater;382005
I'm sorry if that's the impression that's being given, it wasn't intended. I was actually going to reply to BlackHeart, but you posted after so i decided to quote you instead. So i wasn't intending anything personal.  Anyway, i've said my piece - i'm happy to leave it at that.

lol i especially went out of my way to avoid saying they weren't abused. just they weren't abused about anything to do with the topic.

YAY for easter i'm off to celebrate my pagan fertility. enjoy your junk food christians... bahaha /light hearted, sarcastic dig.

Reply #1854 Posted: April 05, 2007, 01:00:58 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
holidays are the only thing religion is good for.

Reply #1855 Posted: April 05, 2007, 01:17:55 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.

Reply #1856 Posted: April 05, 2007, 01:30:24 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
Quote from: Brendan_Chipp;381709
Of course he was wrong. Nowhere in scripture is the age of the universe/earth stated, nor can this be calculated working backwards through the geneologies or whatever. You would not believe the arguments I've had with those who differ. :D

:cussing:

The age need not be stated at all for Genesis to be proven false. The fact is that Genesis describes things that are a contradiction to the observable world and the fundamental laws of the universe as we understand them.

The very first 3 passages of genesis, and later passages 16 - 19, contradicts the observable universe:
Quote from: Genesis on behalf of God
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

2 Now the earth was [a] formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

Quote from: Genesis on behalf of God
16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

Now all Cosmologists or Astrophysicists will tell you this - the earth could not possibly have come into existence without the prior existance of a star for which to give birth to it. It's a simple truth - matter is forged within stars. The suggestion that the sun and stars were created after the earth is ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE. Stars are a pre-requisite for terrestrial planets.

Now, tell me how can Genesis be considered anything BUT a creation myth.

Now, I challenge you or any other christian to prove me wrong. And good on you if you do! For you will be considered one of the greatest minds of our time.

Just to clarify, this is what you must disprove in order for Genesis to be considered anything but a creation myth:

A TERRESTRIAL PLANET CANNOT EXIST WITHOUT THERE FIRST BEING A STAR TO CREATE THE HEAVY ELEMENTS WHICH THE PLANET CONSISTS OF.

Good luck! ;-)

edit: oh and by disprove - i mean provide evidence, hard physical empirical evidence. Not something like "this phrase in the bible says" or "my invisible space giant friend can do anything"

Reply #1857 Posted: April 05, 2007, 01:39:32 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Now, i doubt any christian will concede this point. You will argue it. And why? Even though all science says that genesis is a COMPLETE IMPOSSIBILITY.

Because it is the foundation of your religion. It is at the very core. And if it should be disproven then a fundamental brick of the religion that is christianity will be removed, and the entire religion would crumble.

Why? Because the bible is the word of god. And if it is proven wrong then god lied. And who is the father of lies?

Or maybe man misinterpreted it? In which case you must ask - what else was misinterpreted?

Either way, it's screwed.

Reply #1858 Posted: April 05, 2007, 01:46:33 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline (BHP)Clyock

• Just settled in
Quote from: TofuEater;382005

No prob, don't worry no knickers in a twist here.

:love2:  Big hugs all round.

What is the time frame for adding rep to the same person anyway?
How much do you have to spread around?

Reply #1859 Posted: April 05, 2007, 01:51:36 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: dirtyape;382101

Or maybe man misinterpreted it? In which case you must ask - what else was misinterpreted?

That is one of the major problems with christianity - you prove that something can not be true and they say of cause not, that part is not the literal truth, but later will come up with another line and say but this part is the literal truth so you can beat woman or stone homosexuals or whatever hate they are promoting at the time

Reply #1860 Posted: April 05, 2007, 02:06:13 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Quote from: Spacemonkey;381609
No.

The principle of Causality (i.e every effect requirs a preceding cause), is based on a universe governed by the laws space-time.

If the universe was created by a supreme being, then that supreme being wouldn't be subject to Causality, thus doesn't need to come from anything.

Same question could be asked about the Big Bang, where did that come from?

The answer is the same.

By this premise you can also state that because causality is a product of the universe then the universe itself needs no cause and therefore a creator is redundant.

I posted this a while back:

http://forums.iconzarena.co.nz/showthread.php?p=56138&#post56138

Reply #1861 Posted: April 05, 2007, 02:11:59 pm

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
  • Simon_NZ has no influence.
I apologize for being a cunt - you guys have your beliefs, I have mine.

Reply #1862 Posted: April 05, 2007, 06:54:50 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/8370/18763387ww9.jpg
Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Reply #1863 Posted: April 06, 2007, 06:34:22 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Dirtyape just answered the question the thread title was asking.

Science wins, thread closed.

Reply #1864 Posted: April 06, 2007, 10:46:47 am

Offline (BHP)Clyock

• Just settled in
Quote from: BerG;382750

Point being that if God created everything thats how she would make it look, knowing how inquisitive we are.
Everything may have been made to appear billions of years old when in actual fact(haha) it's all only 6007 years old in terms of it's existance.

Reply #1865 Posted: April 06, 2007, 11:48:58 am

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
  • TuataraDude has no influence.
Quote from: (BHP)Clyock;382788
Point being that if God created everything thats how she would make it look, knowing how inquisitive we are.
Everything may have been made to appear billions of years old when in actual fact(haha) it's all only 6007 years old in terms of it's existance.

I can just picture it now:

"I think I'll put some bones in the ground. That'll mess with their heads. Teach them for finding the answer to life, the universe and everything last time".

Reply #1866 Posted: April 06, 2007, 12:03:23 pm
Just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in.

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
The best defense rational people have is Occam's Razor, it just seems unnecessary to include in your would view a tricky god who would want to make it look like he didn't exist by including scientific evidence for the big bang and evolution

For anyone who has too much faith in the human race
Fundies say the darndest things:
 http://www.fstdt.com/

And Simon - you weren't being a cunt - if people cant handle jokes about their beliefs then they dont have a very solid belief system - If someone can find a joke about Darwin or Einstein that offends me i will be impressed (although offending me with your ignorance doesn't count)

Reply #1867 Posted: April 06, 2007, 12:09:48 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: cobra;382801
The best defense rational people have is Occam's Razor, it just seems unnecessary to include in your would view a tricky god who would want to make it look like he didn't exist by including scientific evidence for the big bang and evolution

Unnecessary, unless you were convinced - beyond any shadow of a doubt - that He undeniably existed.

You write as though the only people who believe in God are the 3 or 4 in this thread. According to this website there are around 2 billion people world wide who believe in God as described by Christianity, and altogether around 5 billion who believe in a God of any description. Sorry, but your generalisation is simply ignorant.

In fact, I would go as far as to say that your assertion that only "crazy people" believe in God is completely arrogant - if thats the truth, maybe you are the crazy one for not believing in God.

Reply #1868 Posted: April 06, 2007, 01:33:28 pm

Offline frog.

• Devoted Member
  • frog. has no influence.
Quote from: dirtyape;382101

Why? Because the bible is the word of god. And if it is proven wrong then god lied. And who is the father of lies?

Oh SNAP!

Reply #1869 Posted: April 06, 2007, 02:30:10 pm
pancakesrreal | Everyone of us is high but you

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Haha religion....
There have been/are 100's of religions over the course of humanity if one of them was/is right then the other few hundred are wrong.
It's like playing lotto where the balls might not even come out.

Reply #1870 Posted: April 07, 2007, 12:32:19 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;382839
to this website there are around 2 billion people world wide who believe in God as described by Christianity.

Thanks to the missionarys/armys that went around trying to wipe out the other religions.

Reply #1871 Posted: April 07, 2007, 12:36:00 am

Offline TofuEater

Quote from: BerG;382750

If it's being reduced to emperical levels, religion wins - they have the hotter chicks.

Reply #1872 Posted: April 07, 2007, 06:41:25 am

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: TofuEater;383283
If it's being reduced to emperical levels, religion wins - they have the hotter chicks.

But they don't put out, what fucking use is that? That's just teasing!

Reply #1873 Posted: April 07, 2007, 06:57:31 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
  • TuataraDude has no influence.
Quote from: Arnifix;383285
But they don't put out, what fucking use is that? That's just teasing!

You obviously haven't met many Catholic school girls.

Reply #1874 Posted: April 07, 2007, 07:02:56 am
Just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in.