Topic: Cool photos you've taken

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
could well be, done at night under a flash, not the most ideal settings, was more to try the focus stacking than anything. No PP done at all.

Reply #425 Posted: March 01, 2010, 08:35:55 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Deviant

• Addicted
  • Deviant has no influence.
y not just use low fstop?

Reply #426 Posted: March 01, 2010, 05:53:01 pm
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.4GHz | ASUS P5Q-EM | XFX 8800GT EXTREME | 2x2Gb G.Skill DDR2-1066MHz | Vista Premium x64 | Silverstone ST75F 750w Modular | Zalman Cooling | 1.32TB HDD | Samsung 226BW | LanBox Lite
| 13354 3Dmark06 |

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
macro...... wont focus to infinity...... so you have to stack if you want a full DoF no other way around it.

as much as I dislike wiki, this explains it pretty well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_stacking

Reply #427 Posted: March 01, 2010, 05:55:03 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Deviant

• Addicted
Quote from: Growler;1076798
macro...... wont focus to infinity...... so you have to stack if you want a full DoF no other way around it.

as much as I dislike wiki, this explains it pretty well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_stacking

unnecessary with the subject u have used.

pretty good result for one image.

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/8782/testcg.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

Reply #428 Posted: March 01, 2010, 06:09:44 pm
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.4GHz | ASUS P5Q-EM | XFX 8800GT EXTREME | 2x2Gb G.Skill DDR2-1066MHz | Vista Premium x64 | Silverstone ST75F 750w Modular | Zalman Cooling | 1.32TB HDD | Samsung 226BW | LanBox Lite
| 13354 3Dmark06 |

Offline Growler

zzzzzzzzzzzzz, learn to read Deviant. It was a test for the effect noob. So that I could make sure it worked beofre going and buying the macro lens.

Reply #429 Posted: March 01, 2010, 06:13:29 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Deviant

• Addicted
this method limits you to very select subjects tbh. each have their own opinion.

Reply #430 Posted: March 01, 2010, 06:22:40 pm
| 13354 3Dmark06 |

Offline Growler

hahaha no shit, it limits you to macro photography, as I clearly stated when I posted the pictures in the 1st place. Reading comprehension 101.

Reply #431 Posted: March 01, 2010, 06:24:14 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Deviant

• Addicted
ok so when you take a macro of a bee flying are you going to be able to stack 5 exposures in order to get a large dof?

No. 'limited' - To confine or restrict within a boundary or bounds

Reply #432 Posted: March 01, 2010, 06:35:18 pm
| 13354 3Dmark06 |

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Deviant.

Teaching pro photographers since 3 weeks ago.

Reply #433 Posted: March 01, 2010, 07:15:07 pm

Offline ss142

• Just settled in
  • ss142 has no influence.
Hmm, must get a digitial camera. The olympus om10 I have died years ago. Unable to replace the computer components as too expensive, or unavaiable.

Even the manual adaptor will not work if the computer chip is dead.

Pity as I have 2 good lenses for the camera being :

Olympus Zuiko auto zoom 28-46mm 1:4
Vivitar Series 1  70-210mm 1:3.5

Also have a motodrive capable of 5fps and a sunpak auto 30dx thyristor again capable of over 5 flashes per sec.

The question I have is can the old lenses and flash be used for a digitial camera ?

Reply #434 Posted: March 01, 2010, 07:35:59 pm

Offline Growler

lenses probably....

http://www.dpreview.com go into oly section, will tell you what mounts current oly dslrs use etc etc etc

Reply #435 Posted: March 01, 2010, 07:52:07 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Growler

Another stunning night in Christchurch last night.

Single exposures, basic PP done (Levels and white balance). High rez laying around.

Reply #436 Posted: March 02, 2010, 09:32:55 am
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Quote from: RetardoBot;1076029

Very very cool man.

Saved to my PC for future inspiration.

Reply #437 Posted: March 02, 2010, 09:33:15 am
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Thanks man.

I changed the levels a tiny bit. Thought that was too dark.

Lovin those shots, Growler. They look like incredible oil paintings.

Reply #438 Posted: March 02, 2010, 09:48:59 am

Offline Mjr.Carnage

• I Posted!
  • Mjr.Carnage has no influence.
Thats certainly a lot better. Can actually see the butterfly now and makes more sence to the overall. The downside is the ledge is a bit to o/e now that it still ditracts away :(

I too went a but nutso over the CHC sky yesterday. It had dimples even.

NW shadowing ftw.

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/6960/cloudhdr.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

Reply #439 Posted: March 02, 2010, 11:58:51 am

Offline EskemoJoe

• Addicted
  • EskemoJoe has no influence.
Quote from: RetardoBot;1077010
Thanks man.

I changed the levels a tiny bit. Thought that was too dark.

Lovin those shots, Growler. They look like incredible oil paintings.

I do like it that you can see more of the detail but i think that over all strikingness of the pic was better in the original.

Reply #440 Posted: March 02, 2010, 12:07:58 pm
Mmmm... Blueberry Muffins *drools*

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Quote from: EskemoJoe;1077071
I do like it that you can see more of the detail but i think that over all strikingness of the pic was better in the original.

Agreed.

But in lightening the image, I hope I have shifted the focus point to the monarch, which is what I wanted in the original.

Reply #441 Posted: March 02, 2010, 12:34:23 pm

Offline Growler

Ree I took your dark butterfly pic and tone mapped it, sort of a super levels. So the end result is close to your 'lighter' version. But it retains the details in all the hilites without burning out so much. Kept the detail in the drive, road, round the tree etc, and kept some of the blue in the sky.

Reply #442 Posted: March 02, 2010, 03:54:31 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Nice Photo Rii, and I have to say G-banger's edit looks the best.

Reply #443 Posted: March 02, 2010, 06:25:40 pm

Offline G!mp

• Devoted Member
  • G!mp has no influence.
Quote from: Spork;1077299
Nice Photo Rii, and I have to say G-banger's edit looks the best.

Sorry,  i mistook that as Gay-banger..............:sly:

I agree, G's editing looks like what your trying to achieve.  Still doesn't detract away from your excellent shot though, just amplifies it :sunnies:.

Reply #444 Posted: March 02, 2010, 08:52:30 pm

Offline Mjr.Carnage

• I Posted!
Moons starting to look good.

100% crop.
Handheld 70-200L2.8, 1.4x. 13 Stacked burst.
http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/494/moonmar.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

Reply #445 Posted: March 03, 2010, 12:51:44 am

Offline Growler

Mate that is truly stunning!

Can you share a few more details, like what you used to stack, what iso, speed etc the singles were taken at. The detail is amazing!

Reply #446 Posted: March 03, 2010, 08:27:52 am
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Mjr.Carnage

• I Posted!
Quote from: Growler;1077475
Mate that is truly stunning!

Can you share a few more details, like what you used to stack, what iso, speed etc the singles were taken at. The detail is amazing!

Doh, EXIF was removed. Its actually just as clear as the single, but layering allows you to tweak the sharpness a whole lot more bringing out craters etc.

ISO400, F4, 1/500 - Was hit and miss for about 4 shots to get it right, cause the camera will tell you its going to be well under exposed (due to the black content) but it LIES

I was trying to get the green halo it had (bizzare atmospherics last night) but failed. Going for 2nd shot tonight if its the same. May need to bracket expose. 1 for the moon, 1 for the sky and layer.

I used registax to stack. http://www.astronomie.be/registax/ can be cumbersome, but can make a good result as above.

Reply #447 Posted: March 03, 2010, 08:49:43 am

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
What camera are you using?

Awesome photo man, real nice.

Reply #448 Posted: March 03, 2010, 11:48:54 am
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Mjr.Carnage

• I Posted!
Quote from: swindLe..;1077552
What camera are you using?

Awesome photo man, real nice.

Canon boy :) 40d.

Reply #449 Posted: March 03, 2010, 12:19:05 pm