Topic: The Year of the Smartwatch

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Ive not worn a watch since I had a cellphone, but this year will see the release of some nifty new devices that will nicely compliment our phones. Would be nice to not have to pull the phone out of the pocket to check notifications or read a quick txt message.

Anyone got a smartwatch? I'm keen to get one, but the current releases are all a bit below par. Once they take off the next generation should be far superior.

http://dailytekk.com/2012/06/12/smart-watches/

Posted: March 12, 2013, 09:44:47 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Spectacles, testicles, wallet....phone

Same, I haven't worn a watch, except for special occasions (dress watch, grandads watch for luck, etc) since having a cellphone.

Though the pebble piqued my interest, I can't see lifting my arm being any more taxing whether I have a watch or a cellphone attached to it.

My wrist is pretty narrow and girly too so any watch which has a face big enough to have more than a few touch buttons on it will look silly and probably get in the way more than anything.

Though music control while biking (both motor and self powered) could be handy, and I can think of a slew of apps that people could use too....

Reply #1 Posted: March 12, 2013, 09:59:51 am
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
it's still retarded. I'll wait for my starfleet badge.

Reply #2 Posted: March 12, 2013, 10:04:48 am

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
I don't think it's retarded. Will probably be the norm in 5 years.

If you don't like the touch display, some of the ones available now look like a normal watch but have a small light/vibration when you receive a notification/call.

Reply #3 Posted: March 12, 2013, 10:21:17 am

Offline BerG

• Terminator

I just remembered back when I was about 12 I saw an infomercial on TV about the Casio Calculator watch. It looked so badass.

I saved my money for ages, got mum to order it for me.

First day I got it, wore it to school. PE class, jumped in the pool and broke it.

Awesome.

Reply #4 Posted: March 12, 2013, 12:01:17 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: BerG;1520440
I just remembered back when I was about 12 I saw an infomercial on TV about the Casio Calculator watch. It looked so badass.

I saved my money for ages, got mum to order it for me.

First day I got it, wore it to school. PE class, jumped in the pool and broke it.

Awesome.

I can see why you might want a smartwatch then....

Reply #5 Posted: March 12, 2013, 12:37:48 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Na, I don't want these digital watches.

I like my analog watch, with it's minute hands and it's shiny metal, and it's date calendar I have to change every time a 30 day month comes along. Or even worse, stupid February.

I'll skip the smart-watch, go straight to the brain implant.

Reply #6 Posted: March 12, 2013, 01:08:18 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

Inferior cyborgs will be destroyed by the smartwatch master race.

Reply #7 Posted: March 12, 2013, 01:26:11 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
I don't like the concept of a smartwatch replacing my phone. I _do_ like the idea of a smartwatch as a bluetooth addon to a phone so I can see notifications, time, etc without having to pull my phone out.

Reply #8 Posted: March 12, 2013, 03:34:48 pm

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...
Need something integrated into my sunnys so I don't have to waste precious energy lifting my arm. Some clever dick is probably working on that right now.
I wear my sunglasses at night .

Reply #9 Posted: March 12, 2013, 04:08:13 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Quote from: BerG;1520440

Dude, I had one of these (not this actual one). Best watch ever.

Reply #10 Posted: March 12, 2013, 04:40:56 pm

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
Smart watch... what the fuck will they think of next? We've got wireless enabled fridges - Kettle, Toaster next?
I bet Aliens have come to Earth and seen what we waste our money on, shook their heads (assuming they have heads) and left.

Fuck.

Reply #11 Posted: March 12, 2013, 04:45:35 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
James Bond has had smart watches for ages. And it has a frekin laser.

These new 'smart' watches don't have lasers.

Reply #12 Posted: March 12, 2013, 05:29:00 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

Quote from: winter;1520474
Smart watch... what the fuck will they think of next? We've got wireless enabled fridges - Kettle, Toaster next?
I bet Aliens have come to Earth and seen what we waste our money on, shook their heads (assuming they have heads) and left.

Fuck.

I would like wireless enabled undies, that adjust temperature to keep my semen at optimum temperature for instant impregnation if required. They could also send status updates to my smart watch, which would forward it on to my smartphone.

Reply #13 Posted: March 12, 2013, 06:49:09 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
I'm still waiting for the death of the laptop that Berg predicted.

Nothing would piss me off more than if everyone suddenly started wearing I-watches or some shit so they could show off their little apple symbol constantly.
Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 06:58:53 pm by Bell

Reply #14 Posted: March 12, 2013, 06:54:49 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
I bought a pebbles what seems like years ago. If it ever arrives, I can tell you how good it is/isn't. But for me the only use I really would like a smart watch for, is notifications, music adjusting and seeing handy information on the move (like seeing your workout info on stuff like runkeeper). Not to mention, as phones seem to get bigger and bigger, it does start getting annoying to flick out your phone, just to realise you got an email you dont care about when your not home.

Reply #15 Posted: March 12, 2013, 08:27:29 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

Pebble looks a bit shit to me, but if you funded it through kickstarter I would have thought you should have received it by now...

Reply #16 Posted: March 12, 2013, 08:33:32 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
google glass is 1 trillion gigatonnes cooler.  & whats the point ...
"I don't have to get my phone out" you still have to make almost the exact same movement, but with some lump of tech strapped to your arm. you'll still have to use the other hand to select what you want to see, or if its a message you want to reply to, get out your phone!

Reply #17 Posted: March 12, 2013, 11:24:05 pm

Offline deanox

• Just settled in
  • deanox has no influence.
Quote from: BerG;1520483
I would like wireless enabled undies, that adjust temperature to keep my semen at optimum temperature for instant impregnation if required. They could also send status updates to my smart watch, which would forward it on to my smartphone.

Wearing boxers is a good start :cat:

There are a few flexible Oled concepts in the internets that I can see would be a more practical idea due to limitations of size/screen area, once tech is there of course, having a wrist fixable option for me would help eliminate dropping phones and ending up with a cracked screen all the time. But talking to your wrist would make you look like a dick.
Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 12:07:19 am by deanox

Reply #18 Posted: March 13, 2013, 12:00:41 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
I havea binary Watch bitches

Whats the time?

oh its 0001 010100

Reply #19 Posted: March 13, 2013, 01:21:17 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

Quote from: Black Heart;1520512
google glass is 1 trillion gigatonnes cooler.

Yeah really cool.

I wish Google would stop trying to make it look discreet (and failing miserably). They may as well go, yep, we have a computer strapped to our face, we as as well make it look fucking badarse.

Reply #20 Posted: March 13, 2013, 02:01:04 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Google glass is not my thing either but that is about the dorkiest picture of google glass I have ever seen.

This one is better

Reply #21 Posted: March 13, 2013, 02:36:02 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

lol yeah, that is really cool man.

Reply #22 Posted: March 13, 2013, 02:46:41 pm

Offline Emrico1

Quote from: BerG;1520565
lol yeah, that is really cool man.

Glad you agree.

Just hope they bring out a water proof model for surf footage.
That would be cool.
Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 02:52:28 pm by Emrico1

Reply #23 Posted: March 13, 2013, 02:49:53 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
Pretty sure its still a prototype kind of gadget, but if you think sticking your finger back and forth over a tiny touch surface is more useable than a HUD with voice commands, and a lot more functionality, well your in luck, because you can (soon) have either... or ....BOTH!

Reply #24 Posted: March 13, 2013, 03:20:05 pm