Topic: Don't bother shopping at The Warehouse anymore.

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Gotta love corporate censorship....

How much of it is censorship versus marketing ?

I bet more over-protective parents shop at the Warehouse than gamers.
If this means more business for the Warehouse then the no r18 policy is a smart one to pursue that is rewarded by consumers in a market. I doubt they make much money from DVDs and games these days.

Marketing or Censorship - whichever the perspective, the net result is the same - a Company deciding to remove my ability to purchase an item that I am legally entitled to purchase, thereby artificially restricting my choice.

Which I think sucks the hairy fat cock

Yeah but ain't no one on this earth more put out than a legally entitled pom (and derivitives*, to a lesser extent). Excepting maybe an American who thinks cultural status quo is the same thing as legal entitlement.

Fuck yeah, how many people can I offend in one post? Pretty sure I just covered a third of the world.

*White folk most of the world over, including all the ex colonies beginning with A & their lesser & more put out siblings (like NZ).

I am no more offended than a king is offended by the petty squabbles of the peasants

Reply #25 Posted: November 25, 2014, 11:51:39 am

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.

If this means more business for the Warehouse then the no r18 policy is a smart one to pursue that is rewarded by consumers in a market. I doubt they make much money from DVDs and games these days.

Marketing or Censorship - whichever the perspective, the net result is the same - a Company deciding to remove my ability to purchase an item that I am legally entitled to purchase, thereby artificially restricting my choice.

There is a fundamental difference in state censorship versus private censorship.

State censorship undermines freedom of expression and information: it is an active subversion the citizen's ability to do something.

Private censorship, in this particular instance, is passive. The Warehouse is not stopping you from purchasing an item you are 'legally entitled to purchase' in general terms.

The Warehouse, unlike the State, is  actually unable to remove your ability to purchase R18 games or media because it operates in a competitive market. Part of the the market is incentivising the Warehouse to stop selling these games. Another part of the market is incentivising it's competitors to keep selling these games. You are more than able to take your money elsewhere. The Warehouse is not limiting your freedom at all. On the contrary, if you were to argue that the Warehouse should not be able to choose which products it does or does not sell, you would be limiting its freedom.

The issue worth pursuing is probably not to do with the Warehouse but more to do with the what is clearly a strongly-held view in some segment of the population that r18 content poses some danger to their concept of the moral society.

Quote from: Pyromanik
Also, for those confused... The thread says "don't bother shopping at", not "lets boycott". Subtle differences in the English language I know, but if you study hard you too could make it to this level of understanding.
I think the problem is that 'don't bother' infers that I would ever actually bother to shop at the Warehouse for these items. I'm confident that the overwhelming bulk of Warehouse sales are not comprised of, and thefore affected by this ban on, r18 items.
Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 12:08:43 pm by Tandoori

Reply #26 Posted: November 25, 2014, 11:55:30 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?filter=weeklongdeals

Buy POSTAL
POSTAL
 21 Mar, 2013 
-85%
$4.99
$0.74

Each POSTAL is made from a different perspective.
This one (the first) is top down isometric (iirc isometric).

I think you're thinking of POSTAL2

Most gloriously unPC game ever.
(GTA is like the M&M of our time, TRIES to offend as much as it can, 'coz ain't no such thing as bad publicity, or something).

Postal   1997-11-04
Banned due to depictions of revolting and abhorrent content.
REFUSED CLASSIFICATION
REFUSED CLASSIFICATION

Postal 2 was merely Unrated

This is true.
I was commenting more on the FPS part of the equation :>

Reply #27 Posted: November 25, 2014, 12:02:30 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
and I'm pretty sure JB hifi sells games the cheapest

I'm pretty sure Steam sells games the cheapest....

Was referring to hard copies :>

otherwise this thread should have ended at "oh well we still have steam"...

... oh wait ;)

Reply #28 Posted: November 25, 2014, 06:28:40 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!

There is a fundamental difference in state censorship versus private censorship.

State censorship undermines freedom of expression and information: it is an active subversion the citizen's ability to do something.

Private censorship, in this particular instance, is passive. The Warehouse is not stopping you from purchasing an item you are 'legally entitled to purchase' in general terms.

The Warehouse, unlike the State, is  actually unable to remove your ability to purchase R18 games or media because it operates in a competitive market. Part of the the market is incentivising the Warehouse to stop selling these games. Another part of the market is incentivising it's competitors to keep selling these games. You are more than able to take your money elsewhere. The Warehouse is not limiting your freedom at all. On the contrary, if you were to argue that the Warehouse should not be able to choose which products it does or does not sell, you would be limiting its freedom.

The issue worth pursuing is probably not to do with the Warehouse but more to do with the what is clearly a strongly-held view in some segment of the population that r18 content poses some danger to their concept of the moral society.

Quote from: Pyromanik
Also, for those confused... The thread says "don't bother shopping at", not "lets boycott". Subtle differences in the English language I know, but if you study hard you too could make it to this level of understanding.
I think the problem is that 'don't bother' infers that I would ever actually bother to shop at the Warehouse for these items. I'm confident that the overwhelming bulk of Warehouse sales are not comprised of, and thefore affected by this ban on, r18 items.

Nail, meet head

Reply #29 Posted: November 25, 2014, 06:59:48 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
Does The Warehouse sell Bacon?

No?

Case closed.

Reply #30 Posted: November 26, 2014, 01:55:35 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 10:53:14 am by Spacemonkeyorsarus

Reply #31 Posted: November 26, 2014, 10:49:53 am

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
They may do, at the warehouse extra stores.

Well, almost bacon.

I should whip you for saying that you cur! 

Reply #32 Posted: November 26, 2014, 11:54:03 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Speaking of Bacon.. I discovered the Verkerks factory shop.. oh fuck me it's El Dorado

Reply #33 Posted: November 26, 2014, 02:00:50 pm

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
I'm in the US at the moment, and you can buy a 1.5L bottle of Bacardi in a pharmacy for $16

Makes this seem a bit... intense? lol

Reply #34 Posted: November 30, 2014, 04:50:16 pm
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Target Australia  is now removing GTA5 from sales.

Fair enough, but

"It's a game that encourages players to murder women for entertainment," Nicole, Claire and Kat, who didn't give their last names, said in the petition, which has gained more than 40,000 supporters.

"The incentive is to commit sexual violence against women, then abuse or kill them to proceed or get 'health' points –

I haven't played the whole game yet, but so far I haven't come across any missions where I had to murder women for entertainment, or commit sexual violence to get health points.

Is this DLC?

Reply #35 Posted: December 04, 2014, 10:48:55 am

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
Target Australia  is now removing GTA5 from sales.

Fair enough, but

"It's a game that encourages players to murder women for entertainment," Nicole, Claire and Kat, who didn't give their last names, said in the petition, which has gained more than 40,000 supporters.

"The incentive is to commit sexual violence against women, then abuse or kill them to proceed or get 'health' points –

I haven't played the whole game yet, but so far I haven't come across any missions where I had to murder women for entertainment, or commit sexual violence to get health points.

Is this DLC?

Funny you mention this, I just finished posting my disgust regarding this via facebook.

At NO point in the game are you awarded points or health (the petitioners may be confusing Super Mario World with GTA - Super Mario Theft Auto?) for killing female characters/NPCs. I've logged over 57-hours into the story mode and over 5-days worth of game time into the online portion of GTA V and NEVER has this great point/health mission shown for me nor have I been awarded points for murdering a female character/NPC.

Whilst on the topic, I also NEVER visited the strip club or hired a prostitute whether online or in SP...

Perhaps a counter petition is order, one would surely get easily 50k signatures for it.. even if GTA V is a *gasp* sexist, female murdering simulator featuring patriarchy DLC and special misogyny early access.

Reply #36 Posted: December 04, 2014, 12:11:33 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Sounds like the typical dumb misandrists are at it again.

Reply #37 Posted: December 04, 2014, 01:18:01 pm

Whilst on the topic, I also NEVER visited the strip club or hired a prostitute whether online or in SP...

So by a process of elimination, you only go to strip clubs and hire prostitutes in real life.

Ok.

Reply #38 Posted: December 04, 2014, 01:37:25 pm

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!

So by a process of elimination, you only go to strip clubs and hire prostitutes in real life.

Ok.

Believe it or not, I've only been to a strip club once in my life. And I've not had to hire a prostitute thankfully.

Reply #39 Posted: December 04, 2014, 02:11:48 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
I've also only ever been to one strip club.

Actually, it was more of a "weirdly dressed, pregnant, high as shit" club where said weirdly dressed, pregnant, high as shit 'dancers' used the walls to keep themselves upright.

Taupo, not even once.

Reply #40 Posted: December 04, 2014, 02:49:43 pm

Offline winter

• Addicted
This is something I could get behind.

Reply #41 Posted: December 04, 2014, 02:53:03 pm

And I've not had to hire a prostitute thankfully.

That's good to know.

Because Australia won't pay for it.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11368541

Reply #42 Posted: December 04, 2014, 03:27:17 pm