Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Totally agree with you there. I started reading The God Delusion and was surprised at how well it was written - I don't know why, but I was expecting a lot more scientific language or something (before anyone asks, I only got a couple of chapters in, and then got distracted onto another book - planning to go back to it).

This Social Darwinism thing is crazy hey.
I might have to do a bit of reading on that too.

Reply #6800 Posted: June 22, 2009, 03:40:58 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Lynn Margulis

email her and ask her opinion. :)

Endosymbiosis: Lynn Margulis

Bacteria Don't Have Species

Microbial Microcosm

Also:

Shining Light on Life's Origin

Deconstructing Life

How Deep is the Gene Pool?

Life from the Abyss

There are two possible answers to the question of the origin of life. There may be something special about the Earth, and the molecules of life only formed here because of the special conditions we have of being in a solar system with the sun at the right size and at a certain distance. On the other hand, it may be possible to form the molecules of life around a star system anywhere. If that’s the case, life would be much more common, indeed maybe the most likely system to occur on any planet.

We’re trying to recall the chemistry behind these possible scenarios. For instance, investigating how the building block molecules like amino acids and peptides are made. In order to probe these questions we use a combination of experiment, observation, and modeling. We want to develop a model that takes us from the Big Bang through to now.

So we start with how the first matter in the universe was made and follow it through to when you start to have chemistry, which is about 1,000 seconds into the history of the universe. Then you try and follow that chemistry through to the formation of a planet and to the molecules in the planet. From there you try to see how those molecules may be assembled to create self-replicating, life-giving molecules.

the origin of Life on Earth

One readily apparent commonality is that all living things consist of similar organic (carbon-rich) compounds. Another shared property is that the proteins found in present-day organisms are fashioned from one set of 20 standard amino acids. These proteins include enzymes (biological catalysts) that are essential to development, survival and reproduction.

Further, contemporary organisms carry their genetic information in nucleic acids - RNA and DNA - and use essentially the same genetic code. This code specifies the amino acid sequences of all the proteins each organism needs. More precisely, the instructions take the form of specific sequences of nucleotides, the building blocks of nucleic acids. These nucleotides consist of a sugar (deoxyribose in DNA, and ribose in RNA), a phosphate group and one of four different nitrogen-containing bases. In DNA, the bases are adenine (A), guanine (G), cytosine (C) and thymine (T). In RNA, uracil (U) substitutes for thymine. The bases constitute the alphabet, and triplets of bases form the words. As an example, the triplet CUU in RNA instructs a cell to add the amino acid leucine to a growing strand of protein.

From such findings we can infer that our last common ancestor stored genetic information in nucleic acids that specified the composition of all needed proteins. It also relied on proteins to direct many of the reactions required for self-perpetuation. Hence, the central problem of origin-of-life research can be refined to ask, By what series of chemical reactions did this interdependent system of nucleic acids and proteins come into being?

Anyone trying to solve this puzzle immediately encounters a paradox. Nowadays nucleic acids are synthesized only with the help of proteins, and proteins are synthesized only if their corresponding nucleotide sequence is present. It is extremely improbable that proteins and nucleic acids, both of which are structurally complex, arose spontaneously in the same place at the same time. Yet it also seems impossible to have one without the other. And so, at first glance, one might have to conclude that life could never, in fact, have originated by chemical means.

The Origins of Order: Self-Organization and Selection in Evolution
by Stuart Kauffman

This said, I still agree with Kauffman (from the Epilog)
that: "Evolution is not just 'chance caught on the wing.' It
is not just a tinkering of the ad hoc, of bricolage, of contraption.
It is emergent order honored and honed by selection."
We see here Kauffman's literate writing style and his
joy in exposition, features that make reading his difficult
book much easier.
Biological order obeys the first and second laws of thermodynamics
and it is molecular in character. Its conceptualization
rests firmly in physics and chemistry. Mathematics
can sharpen some of the ideas, and it can make some ideas
more accessible to physical scientists, but it is no substitute
for experimental evidence from real biochemical experience
Empirically based conceptualization has come first and has
been followed later by mathematical formalization. I encourage
the continuing efforts in this direction and I applaud
Stuart Kauffnan for showing us some of what can be done.

Organic Compound Synthes on the Primitive Eart: Several questions about the origin of life have been answered, but much remains to be studied

A speculation on the origin of protein synthesis

It is suggested that protein synthesis may have begun without even a primitive ribosome if the primitive tRNA could take up two configurations and could bind to the messenger RNA with five base-pairs instead of the present three. This idea would impose base sequence restriction on the early messages and on the early genetic code such that the first four amino acids coded were glycine, serine, aspartic acid and aspargine. A possible mechanism is suggested for the polymerization of the early message.

That'll do for now. My head hurts :/

Reply #6801 Posted: June 22, 2009, 03:44:48 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;950856
(calling people who didn't believe evolution created life "stupid" and "not sane" and stuff).

He would not have been calling people stupid for claiming evolution didn't create life - i dont think you understand the scientific perspective and just using your own limited view, using the word "created" and all.

Dawkins may have been calling people who do not believe in the fact of evolution stupid, which is reasonable and almost completely limited to people with a religious agenda.

But it looks like this guy did a good job confusing people with a biased against evolution with misleading probability and i bet he chucked in some bad science in with that

edit: even if evolution was wrong (which is incredibly unlikely) that does not mean god - "i dont know" does not lead to "it must be god", it is the whole god only existing in ignorance that christians pray on

Reply #6802 Posted: June 22, 2009, 06:45:00 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: cobra;951010
But it looks like this guy did a good job confusing people with a biased against evolution with misleading probability and i bet he chucked in some bad science in with that

I'll give you his credentials next time I see him (next Sunday).
From memory he had a degree in biology and biochemistry, or something.

As for "misleading probability", I pretty much explained it all how he did (or at least, how I'd noted it down) - care to prove it wrong?

Alternatively, just go back to trolling the thread and outright dismissing everything without any real reason.

Reply #6803 Posted: June 22, 2009, 11:16:03 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;951135

Alternatively, just go back to trolling the thread and outright dismissing everything without any real reason.

That's what most sensible people do.

Reply #6804 Posted: June 23, 2009, 06:39:59 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!

As for "misleading probability", I pretty much explained it all how he did (or at least, how I'd noted it down) - care to prove it wrong?

The thing is, the numbers don't really mean much at all.

Consider this scenario, i'm not saying I believe this, but i think it's pretty reasonable.

God is not concerned with the physical world as such, he exists outside of it, before humans came along he pretty had nothing to do with Earth.
Humans have free will, and a sense of awareness, as in they are aware of their existence. Tree's are on the other side of the scale, they are living like us, but that's it, what they do is completely controlled by chemical reactions and the physical environment.
Then between trees and humans are the rest of the creatures, with increasing levels of intelligence.

This is where I think God could come in, somehow connecting an intelligent animal with a brain, to awareness. Therefore, before humans came around, God didn't create anything, the world, life all started by natural means.

However when a primate evolved to a stage where it had a certain level of intelligence, God gave is awareness, so in a way, God did create humans, you could even say God created humans in his image, not in the image of physical body, but in the image of his mind, giving us the ability of free will, and made us aware of our existence.

Reply #6805 Posted: June 23, 2009, 07:30:24 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Then he also gave awareness to other animals too because some of them have it including Apes, which makes it look like just another evolutionary step.

Reply #6806 Posted: June 23, 2009, 08:11:23 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Bell;951168
Then he also gave awareness to other animals too because some of them have it including Apes, which makes it look like just another evolutionary step.

Not on the same level humans are.

Reply #6807 Posted: June 23, 2009, 08:21:37 am

Quote from: Bell;951168

It's impossible to know whether Apes are aware on the same level humans are, unless you are an Ape.

Reply #6808 Posted: June 23, 2009, 08:22:44 am

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
I'll give you his credentials next time I see him (next Sunday).
From memory he had a degree in biology and biochemistry, or something.

yeah - you may have explained it as he did but it is completely meaningless - it would have been significant to a room of people all there ready to believe him but a doubt there was any critical discussion (this is another issue of christianity, you have what you want to believe and you just force the evidence to support your world view. a cult of ignorance)

your argument:

"the probability of pulling 26 letters at random and spelling a specific  sentence is close to zero

therefore god created everything QED"

I dont know how much discussion this needs to prove that it is meaningless, unless you are arguing that evolution is analogous to randomly picking letters out of a box in which case you should probably try and get a basic understanding of the process before posting your ignorant propaganda

His credentials are pretty much irrelevance, a degree is not much of an achievement these days, and it is obvious, that if he studied biology, he didn't grasp some of the basic concepts - probably because he is from the cult of ignorance and some of the facts conflict with his superstitions

you also do yourself a huge discredit by that list of people who were fans of Darwin's work and then committed crimes against humanity - Science does not command people to do things, and there is nothing in his works that condoned genocide - suggesting a link is just nasty antiscience christian propaganda (Darwin exposed facts that make our god irrelevant, lets discredit his name by saying he was the driving force behind all crimes against humanity since then)

Reply #6809 Posted: June 23, 2009, 08:35:33 am

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Spacemonkey;951162
The thing is, the numbers don't really mean much at all.

Consider this scenario, i'm not saying I believe this, but i think it's pretty reasonable.

God is not concerned with the physical world as such, he exists outside of it, before humans came along he pretty had nothing to do with Earth.
Humans have free will, and a sense of awareness, as in they are aware of their existence. Tree's are on the other side of the scale, they are living like us, but that's it, what they do is completely controlled by chemical reactions and the physical environment.
Then between trees and humans are the rest of the creatures, with increasing levels of intelligence.

This is where I think God could come in, somehow connecting an intelligent animal with a brain, to awareness. Therefore, before humans came around, God didn't create anything, the world, life all started by natural means.

However when a primate evolved to a stage where it had a certain level of intelligence, God gave is awareness, so in a way, God did create humans, you could even say God created humans in his image, not in the image of physical body, but in the image of his mind, giving us the ability of free will, and made us aware of our existence.

but in this situation you are just tacking god on, god is not needed in this situation and adds nothing to it (awareness, in no way, needs to be a supernatural phenomenon) and with no collaborating evidence

Reply #6810 Posted: June 23, 2009, 08:38:47 am

Which is why I called it a scenario. And my post was more aimed at Fleastyler.

And why do people keep brining up the word 'evidence' in a philosophical argument?

Reply #6811 Posted: June 23, 2009, 08:44:34 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: cobra;951179

your argument:

"the probability of pulling 26 letters at random and spelling a specific  sentence is close to zero

I dont know how much discussion this needs to prove that it is meaningless, unless you are arguing that evolution is analogous to randomly picking letters out of a box in which case you should probably try and get a basic understanding of the process before posting your ignorant propaganda
)

Read his posts again.
He wasn't talking about evolution, he was talking about the origins of life.
For life to spontaneously come about the right mix of ammino acids needed to combine together through the movements of the ocean.

Reply #6812 Posted: June 23, 2009, 09:12:10 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: Spacemonkey;951185
Which is why I called it a scenario. And my post was more aimed at Fleastyler.

And why do people keep brining up the word 'evidence' in a philosophical argument?

Because then we could just make shit up.
Even philosophical discussions are based on some sort of logic/evidence/reasoning.

Reply #6813 Posted: June 23, 2009, 09:16:03 am

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Since we're into reading posts again, did anybody pick up on this?:

Mathematics can sharpen some of the ideas, and it can make some ideas
more accessible to physical scientists, but it is no substitute
for experimental evidence from real biochemical experience.

...and that is regarding the origin of life/ order/self-organisation in Evolution.

Has anybody emailed Lynn Margulis yet?

:bigglasse

Reply #6814 Posted: June 23, 2009, 09:18:48 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Nope I normally skim over your copy/paste wall-o-text.

Reply #6815 Posted: June 23, 2009, 09:21:53 am

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
your argument:

I'll let Bell explain again (thanks Bell):
Quote from: Bell;951191
Read his posts again.
He wasn't talking about evolution, he was talking about the origins of life.
For life to spontaneously come about the right mix of ammino acids needed to combine together through the movements of the ocean.
Hey, heres an idea Cobra: how about we actually have a civil discussion on a particular point instead of assuming what I was or was not saying?

I heard a guy talk about this stuff and thought I would bring his point here for discussion, given that there are guys here who are more knowledgeable on the math than I am - that act alone means that your assertion that Christians, particularly me, have "what you want to believe and you just force the evidence to support your world view" is unfounded. Frankly, I'm glad I brought it here - Stig, Bell and SM made some good points and Ngati brought forward some good reading, all while being civil and not rudely dismissing me.

As Bell says, I was just putting forward something I heard on the specific origin of life, not trying to discredit evolution. Don't take me for some idiot who thinks that pouring scrabble letters onto a table is analogous to the entire act of evolution, or that the scrabble analogy leads directly to the conclusion that "God did it" - Dawkins would be absolutely right to call me "stupid" and "not sane" if I truly thought that to be the case.

However, I do believe - and I don't know how you could disagree (indeed, you've presented nothing to show that the analogy is blatantly wrong) - that pouring scrabble letters onto a table to randomly form a sentence is analogous to amino acids randomly arranging themselves into the correct order to form a protein.

That is all I was talking about. You can put down your gun now.

(That was another analogy, by the way - I know you don't have a real gun).

you also do yourself a huge discredit by that list of people who were fans of Darwin's work and then committed crimes against humanity
You do yourself a huge discredit by not reading. Specifically, not reading the bit where I said that I didn't think those ideas were logical:
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;950846
It sounds like a non-sequitur to me though. Yes, there's a common strand, but it would be near impossible to say that one would lead to the other.
I don't think Nazis killed the Jews because of Darwin anymore than I think that the space shuttle Columbia exploding was the direct result of, and solely caused by, Newton's law of universal gravitation. I was just presenting what the guy was saying in furthering the conversation.

Reply #6816 Posted: June 23, 2009, 09:59:25 am

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
  • Zarathrustra has no influence.
Quote from: flea
However, I do believe - and I don't know how you could disagree (indeed, you've presented nothing to show that the analogy is blatantly wrong) - that pouring scrabble letters onto a table to randomly form a sentence is analogous to amino acids randomly arranging themselves into the correct order to form a protein.
Yeah, that is a good analogy imo.  But I don't think it's a very good anaolgy to use in any argument trying to show the unlikelihood of life creating itself from the "primordial ooze"

If you take into account the sheer amount of matter in the universe, the number of ways in which the atoms can connect to form amino acids, they ways in which those can interact to join and fold into proteins, and the amount of time (virtually limitless) there is for it to happen, then you have to ask yourself "how could it not happen, somewhere, sometime?".  And once the first steps take place, the rest is almost an unavoidable chain reaction, given time.

It may take an unimaginable number of monkeys randomly mashing typewriter keys before one of them accidentally spits out the complete works of William Shakespeare, but given enough monkeys and time, one of them undoubtedly will.

There's a lot of monkeys in the universe, more than any of us could comprehend.  And they've spent a very very long time sitting in front of those typewriters.

Reply #6817 Posted: June 23, 2009, 10:19:37 am

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted

Reply #6818 Posted: June 23, 2009, 10:34:06 am

Offline Distorted

• Devoted Member
  • Distorted has no influence.
Quote from: Zarathrustra;951213
Yeah, that is a good analogy imo.  But I don't think it's a very good anaolgy to use in any argument trying to show the unlikelihood of life creating itself from the "primordial ooze"

If you take into account the sheer amount of matter in the universe, the number of ways in which the atoms can connect to form amino acids, they ways in which those can interact to join and fold into proteins, and the amount of time (virtually limitless) there is for it to happen, then you have to ask yourself "how could it not happen, somewhere, sometime?".  And once the first steps take place, the rest is almost an unavoidable chain reaction, given time.

It may take an unimaginable number of monkeys randomly mashing typewriter keys before one of them accidentally spits out the complete works of William Shakespeare, but given enough monkeys and time, one of them undoubtedly will.

There's a lot of monkeys in the universe, more than any of us could comprehend.  And they've spent a very very long time sitting in front of those typewriters.

So you are a believer Z, I knew you had to believe in some sort of higher power... just never thought it  would be the infinite monkey theorem

Reply #6819 Posted: June 23, 2009, 10:45:54 am
[23:46] <Hori> I\'d do gay for pay
[23:46] <Hori> if the pay was right

I think I would know where to sign on a sexual harrassment settlement, thank you[/CENTER]

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
  • Zarathrustra has no influence.
We all have our vices :shifty:

Reply #6820 Posted: June 23, 2009, 10:50:10 am

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Quote from: Bell;951197
Nope I normally skim over your copy/paste wall-o-text.

You're an arse Your loss then.

You've missed out on some vital information, but if you want to just continue being ignorant, that's fine with me.

...and I take it you never read books.
Oh, the wall of text, I can't handle it
:asian:

Reply #6821 Posted: June 23, 2009, 10:57:59 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted
The math gets pretty epic.

125 billion galaxies * 100 billion stars per galaxy * number of inhabitable planets per star (unknown) * seconds since earth has been inhabitable * number of amino chemical reactions a second = very rough guess at the amount of attempts there have been to create life in the universe.

Reply #6822 Posted: June 23, 2009, 10:58:42 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;951241
You're an arse then.

you've missed out on some vital information, but if you want to just continue being ignorant, that's fine with me.

How about you put forward some of your own thoughts then making me read your constant link-o-thon.

Reply #6823 Posted: June 23, 2009, 10:59:20 am

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Quote from: Bell;951244
How about you put forward some of your own thoughts then making me read your constant link-o-thon.

Because these links bring you to information that is, in essence, my thoughts, just explained better than I can.
I'm not making you read, just suggesting that it would be a good idea, as the people who wrote the articles in the links provided have years of research upon the subject we are discussing and that it might be better to go to source rather than obfuscate and misrepresent with my own, admittedly deficient (present company excluded) thought processes.

My thoughts: Re-fucking-iteration :/ :

There is no 'God'.
That is a personal choice for me and I don't expect others to have to agree with it or like it, or disagree with it. That choice is couched in research and reading into the formation of the Universe, the formation of Earth, the nature of the elements and their commonalities/differences, direct observation and experimentation, reading pro and con arguments, life experience ....

...the 'beginning' of Life is quite easily a random act, which doesn't negate the reproducibility. It may even have begun in 'outer space' with comet on comet impact, or it might be exclusive to Earth (highly unlikely in my book, but not entirely impossible).
I presume that here we are talking about carbon-based life forms such as occur on Earth.
There are other elements that could be the base for life: Silica, Phosphorus,
Potassium, etc so while Life on Earth is carbon-based, that doesn't mean that Life elsewhere has to be.
As long as there are carrier proteins and a framework as has evolved upon Earth, the actual base can be different.
Follow the links in the previous post for some more information.

Reply #6824 Posted: June 23, 2009, 11:12:31 am