Topic: Father of video games dead at 92

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
At the dawn of the television age in 1951, a young engineer named Ralph Baer approached executives at an electronics firm and suggested the radical idea of offering games on the bulky TV boxes.

tbh I had never heard of him. But I guess maybe gaming today wouldn't exist if it wasn't for him.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/games/63944969/father-of-video-games-dead-at-92

Posted: December 08, 2014, 07:44:29 pm

Offline Raydiense

• Game Server Admin
  • Raydiense has no influence.
rest in pepperinos

Reply #1 Posted: December 08, 2014, 08:02:47 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
tbh I had never heard of him. But I guess maybe gaming today wouldn't exist if it wasn't for him.
He appears in the Game Development Essentials book

Rest in Peace you crazy guy. Who would have thought the pointless box in the corner would now be the TV

Reply #2 Posted: December 08, 2014, 08:37:29 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
I've heard of him. Was also surprised to learn of his role when I did learn of him though.
Sad in a way, but it happens to everyone eventually.
It's more weird to think that he was still alive. Like, this industry that I've seen grown and evolve so fast and become such a huge beast, from basic graphics to high fidelity real time realistic environments all started with this guy, who was still alive in my lifetime, showing that although this industry is older than me it is actually extremely young.

Madness.

Reply #3 Posted: December 09, 2014, 09:49:48 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.