24 (41.4%)
I have x-ray vision.
8 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Topic: Eyes

Offline Goldo

• Goldo has no influence.
I wear glasses, pretty short sighted :(

Can't wear contacts because I get something similar to an anxiety attack having shit on my eyes. Feels bad man.

Reply #25 Posted: April 30, 2010, 04:49:25 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: ChineseKiwi;1256783

Expertise getting you the right lenses however is key. Don't go into the mall ones. Shit selection [both in number of choices and quality] and average prices.
Had glasses since I was about 6 so I know my shit in that too. I'm probably more blind without my glasses than all of you. Interestingly though, my colour perception is better than the average person's.

How bad are your eyes?

And how do you know your colour perception is better?

Reply #26 Posted: April 30, 2010, 05:40:57 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Because he knows he is awesome

Reply #27 Posted: April 30, 2010, 05:46:15 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
I just wear glasses. I have contacts, but i cbf wearing them, unless there is a good reason.

If you want contacts cheap, just try ezy lens, quick lens etc. Using google is the fastest way to find them all, and they usually always have sales.

Reply #28 Posted: April 30, 2010, 05:53:11 pm

Offline Menial

• Addicted
  • Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.
But don't go to the ones in malls.

Reply #29 Posted: April 30, 2010, 05:54:54 pm

Offline Scream

• Devoted Member
  • Scream has no influence.
I have glasses, barely ever wear them though.

Reply #30 Posted: April 30, 2010, 06:01:51 pm
I have too many usernames.. look at my linked accounts haha.

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
I was short sighted, since about 15. I went to a optometrist about 22/23 and they told me I shouldn't be driving. oh well. so I wore glasses till I was 37. I had also tried the contact lens' they were annoying fiddly and tedious (hygiene), also heard some real horror stories about people getting wasted and leaving them in so long they basically glue themselves in place. (many days).

Anyway glasses steam up when you look in the oven, whack girls faces when kissing, just plain suck in the rain, prevent you wearing sunglasses or have a negative side effect if they auto tint (easy to scratch) / you have tinted & untinted pairs to carry around. Also get drunk & lose them.

So yea, at 37 I got laser eye surgery. TBH surgery is an overstatement. at 9:00 am I got prepped at 9:20am I was back in the prep chair with some clear eye goggles taped to my face (this is to stop you rubbing your eyes) the procedure is uncomfortable but painless. you get a whiff of the laser burning your flap of eye gel/goo they lift. The first 2 weeks I was quite sure my eyes were worse than before I went in. I could see long sighted stuff fine but close up was worse, it has improved over the months since. (did it in Feb).
I find I now am very light sensitive and wear sunglasses more. Which is probably better for my eyes anyway. The eye clinic in aucks was very awesome and professional, havea voucher for $200 off if you want/qualify

Reply #31 Posted: April 30, 2010, 07:03:18 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Great Story BH

Which clinic did you go to?

Reply #32 Posted: April 30, 2010, 08:20:52 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Black Heart;1256935
I find I now am very light sensitive and wear sunglasses more. Which is probably better for my eyes anyway. The eye clinic in aucks was very awesome and professional, havea voucher for $200 off if you want/qualify

Plus you look hotter in sunnies :sunnies:

Seriously though: How much did this cost you? When I checked at the clinic in Wellington they gave me a quote for $3000 an eye. One of my classmates came back from India where he had gotten laser eye surgery for $1000 NZD total.

However his eyes were pretty messed up (like your description) in the month he came back. They're okay now though thankfully.

I hate my glasses. They make using the MyVu's difficult to impossible to use properly. I've always been interested in Retinal Visual Display devices since they were shown on "Beyond 2000" over a decade ago.

I was going to go for this solution next year (since I dont know if I'll still be in Invercargill next year)

Virtual Retinal Display (VRD). This is a pretty crap article about VRDs. Modern VRD's totally bypass the lens of the eye, effectively eliminating my visual problems (lens is crooked).

A company in the states sells a version which runs on milli-amps of power. They cost $3000 NZD all up. The problem is that I am pretty sure they do not ship overseas. Most visual head wear is not able to be shipped (including the MyVu's which was very surprising to see for sale anywhere).

Reply #33 Posted: April 30, 2010, 09:01:58 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
  • ChineseKiwi has no influence.
Quote from: Menial;1256787
You just quoted his random spam/pop up/ad copy. Do you mean don't go into OPSM, SpecSavers, or Visique when you say mall ones?

I'm an expert on pubic hairs, had them since I was 11.

Not sure that lens shape has much to do with colour perception tbh.

More OPSM and SpecSavers. Visque is real hit and miss as they are franchised. Some are good, some are bad.
I never said that the glasses had anything to do with the colour perception of anything. Also talking about the glasses frames.

Reply #34 Posted: April 30, 2010, 10:04:06 pm

Offline hawkwindnz

• Just settled in
  • hawkwindnz has no influence.
My eyesight's bloody terrible in my right eye, average in my left, I should really have glasses.

When I read small print like a newspaper, or forums, I close my right eye to focus properly

Reply #35 Posted: April 30, 2010, 10:18:34 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
when my eyesight goes, i want my left eyefixed via laser surgery, and have an occular implant on my right eye, connected to some sort of awesome targeting system.

thats right, imma be this guy:
Spoiler :
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/Laura_shmlaura/What%20gets%20club%20soda%20out/RedAlert2.jpg
Eyes

Reply #36 Posted: April 30, 2010, 10:25:22 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
it cost $5800, I'd heard about the india thing also but I wouldn't risk my vision especially in a country where I know shit all about anything if it fucks up!

The place was called the EYE INSTITUTE, http://www.eyeinstitute.co.nz/ my surgeon was Adam Watson. They are pretty clear about whats going on and why they do tests before even accepting you for treatment. For instance if your vision isn't stable ie has changed recently they probably wont do it because the op fixes what wrong now, if they keep deteriorating your going to be unhappy.

Reply #37 Posted: April 30, 2010, 11:05:14 pm

Offline Nyan

• Addicted
  • Nyan has no influence.
My vission isn't the best. And im at risk for a few eye problems. Conical cornea mainly. But im chugging along quite nicely being kinda blind sometimes and half deaf all the time.

Reply #38 Posted: May 01, 2010, 12:03:42 am

Offline Farcity!

• Addicted
  • Farcity! has no influence.
Eye institute is where I go for my eye care too. Expensive but good.

Reply #39 Posted: May 01, 2010, 12:33:00 am

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
Anyway, Pyro, since you were wondering, I'm about -9 and -9.5. Not sure of exact numbers but I know it's in that ballpark.

Reply #40 Posted: May 01, 2010, 01:08:15 am

Offline vietnow

• Devoted Member
  • vietnow has no influence.
Quote from: ChineseKiwi;1257111
Anyway, Pyro, since you were wondering, I'm about -9 and -9.5. Not sure of exact numbers but I know it's in that ballpark.

holy fuck, Im -1.5 in both and I cant see shit captain

Reply #41 Posted: May 01, 2010, 01:46:48 am

Team Bell - SC2B GetSome Champions

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
My retinas are very much intact however thus why I have excellent colour perception, better than the average person's. The corneas of my eyes are fuxxorzed however and I have quite 'rugby-ball' shaped eyes cuz of it thus the blurriness. To get a idea of how screwed my eyes are: I cannot read the 8pt text on the computer screen 50-60cm away from me and I can only just make out the 18pt bold in my sig if I squint without my glasses. I'm basically legally blind without my glasses. Got some great quality lenses though, Nikon brand, I think made of polycarbonate, scratch-proof, de-fogs steam by itself.

Reply #42 Posted: May 01, 2010, 03:09:00 am

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: ChineseKiwi;1257130
I think made of polycarbonate, scratch-proof, de-fogs steam by itself.
Pffff. I bet you still cant play paintball properly.

Just do what I do.

Buy an extra 300 rounds and shoot at anything that moves.

Reply #43 Posted: May 01, 2010, 09:04:15 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
I haven't had an eye test for years, so i'm sure my prescription lenses need updating. I only wear my glasses for watching TV, but i want to get the laser surgery done so that i don't have to keep asking where my ball's gone when i play golf.

Reply #44 Posted: May 01, 2010, 09:07:56 am
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Quote from: ChineseKiwi;1257130
My retinas are very much intact however thus why I have excellent colour perception, better than the average person's. The corneas of my eyes are fuxxorzed however and I have quite 'rugby-ball' shaped eyes cuz of it thus the blurriness. To get a idea of how screwed my eyes are: I cannot read the 8pt text on the computer screen 50-60cm away from me and I can only just make out the 18pt bold in my sig if I squint without my glasses. I'm basically legally blind without my glasses. Got some great quality lenses though, Nikon brand, I think made of polycarbonate, scratch-proof, de-fogs steam by itself.

I'm about -4.75, however I can only just make out the 18pt bold writing on your sig from 50-60cm away.

Reply #45 Posted: May 01, 2010, 09:51:35 am

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: TofuEater;1257153
I haven't had an eye test for years, so i'm sure my prescription lenses need updating. I only wear my glasses for watching TV, but i want to get the laser surgery done so that i don't have to keep asking where my ball's gone when i play golf.

You probably just sliced it into the rough again.

Reply #46 Posted: May 01, 2010, 04:23:36 pm

Go the works, get a zoom lens installed, automatic satellite tracking finds your golf ball and zooms into it, no mater where it's gone.

Reply #47 Posted: May 01, 2010, 04:55:40 pm

Offline Nostargate

• Addicted
  • Nostargate barely matters.Nostargate barely matters.
Some eyes canot be fixed :(, my eye's are bi-astigmatic.

Reply #48 Posted: May 01, 2010, 05:03:31 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1257401

Go the works, get a zoom lens installed, automatic satellite tracking finds your golf ball and zooms into it, no mater where it's gone.

Have you ever tried walking with binoculars taped to your face?
Sure fire motion sickness right there, if you can even tell wtf's going on.

Reply #49 Posted: May 01, 2010, 06:25:14 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.