Topic: Git...

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Can fuck right off with the rest of programming hipsters who love it so much.

That is all.

Posted: July 08, 2013, 09:37:56 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Because Mercurial?

Reply #1 Posted: July 08, 2013, 09:51:37 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
My organization uses github because they wanted things to be open source so the guy before me choose it.
I mistakenly added some large files to my repo and tried to push to remote about a week later when I was deploying a new version.

The commands to fix something reasonably simple like that are retarded, if it wasn't for google i'd be fucked.
The first half is just finding the large files and printing out the file names.

Code: [Select]
#Order my repo files by size
git rev-list --objects --all | sort -k 2 > allfileshas.txt
git gc && git verify-pack -v .git/objects/pack/pack-*.idx | egrep "^\w+ blob\W+[0-9]+ [0-9]+ [0-9]+$" | sort -k 3 -n -r > bigobjects.txt
for SHA in `cut -f 1 -d\  < bigobjects.txt`; do
echo $(grep $SHA bigobjects.txt) $(grep $SHA allfileshas.txt) | awk '{print $1,$3,$7}' >> bigtosmall.txt
done;

#look at all these motherfucking params
git filter-branch -f --prune-empty --index-filter 'git rm -rf --cached --ignore-unmatch FILE_I_WANT_DEAD' --tag-name-filter cat -- --all
#now I have to just jam my modified git files into the repo overriding everything, what could go wrong?
git push origin master --force

I understand why doing this shit is more complex than svn and the like but jesus christ.
Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 10:46:30 pm by Bell

Reply #2 Posted: July 08, 2013, 10:28:44 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Agreed. We had a look a Git at my previous job, but it was unnecessarily confusing in my opinion.

I much prefer SVN, or the almighty Team Foundation Server!

Reply #3 Posted: July 09, 2013, 08:36:10 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Bell;1528227
I understand why doing this shit is more complex than svn and the like but jesus christ.

Yeah ok I can agree with that. Git gets a bit stupid when you try to do complex stuff.
But over all I like git. If you're getting confused while trying to do something simple, you must be about as smart as a (code) monkey. HEYOOOO, see what I did there? 2 birds, 1 stone!

NOT having a staging area confuses the crap out of me now.
Or more to the point not having a decentralised system.

Also, git isn't for storing big binary blobs. You can get away with small things if you're eg. web developer... but otherwise you probably should be looking at git-annex or something.

Yeah yeah, svn externals. I have to say svn sounds like it's come a long way since I last used it though.
Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 06:10:38 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #4 Posted: July 09, 2013, 06:07:37 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Is there any good products made for git yet? Most of the ones i've tried had been trash.
Surely if you wrapped those types of commands into a nice gui companies would pay for it.

I come from the world of Visual Studio with integrated SVN right in the project browser and that shit is gold.

Reply #5 Posted: July 09, 2013, 07:19:51 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Yeah, because of the decentralisation it gets tricky I think. But there are gui tools. Just no nice ones unless you're on a mac (or so I'm told). Linux has a few, but as with most things I think they're all pretty immature and aim for function over form & usability. And then there's tortoise svn port on windows. I don't think there's any other.

But then I tend not to look at paid solutions. I think there might be a few slightly above average GUI tools floating around if you're willing to pay.

Reply #6 Posted: July 10, 2013, 05:43:01 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
know what confuses me about SVN? there's no fucking UI (unless you download one) but at uni all we have is a stupid right mouse click "make SVN" button and then magically it's SVN, fuck knows where it's pointing, fuck knows how to comit etc fuck the whole fucking thing! fucking fuck the fucking fucked fuckers!

Reply #7 Posted: July 11, 2013, 08:14:50 am
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1528316
know what confuses me about SVN? there's no fucking UI (unless you download one) but at uni all we have is a stupid right mouse click "make SVN" button and then magically it's SVN, fuck knows where it's pointing, fuck knows how to comit etc fuck the whole fucking thing! fucking fuck the fucking fucked fuckers!
What OS? If it's nix, it's probably a bash script that sets up an SVN to the name of the directory. Probably have to use CMD to commit/udpate though.

Reply #8 Posted: July 11, 2013, 07:59:38 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Xenolightning;1528341
What OS? If it's nix, it's probably a bash script that sets up an SVN to the name of the directory. Probably have to use CMD to commit/udpate though.

nix wasn't too bad (except the gross linux labs) this was on win95 (yes, the computers in the electronics lab still run win95 - they were suppose to be updated last semester, they might be by now)

Reply #9 Posted: July 11, 2013, 08:29:39 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Probably Tortoise SVN ?

We use Tortoise Git at work becauase no decent alternative. Makes more sense though, because distribution means any git repo is a fully functioning independent repository. Not like SVN (last I used it at least).

Reply #10 Posted: July 13, 2013, 10:27:55 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: Pyromanik;1528459
Probably Tortoise SVN ?

We use Tortoise Git at work becauase no decent alternative. Makes more sense though, because distribution means any git repo is a fully functioning independent repository. Not like SVN (last I used it at least).

It's like chatroulette, except 40% of your course grade depends on getting this crappy software to put your code in the right place.

Reply #11 Posted: July 13, 2013, 12:30:07 pm