my thoughts with japan..

Reply #25 Posted: March 12, 2011, 12:00:14 am

Offline ArtanisNZ

• Addicted
  • ArtanisNZ has no influence.
Some of the earth shifting they are showing is crazy

Reply #26 Posted: March 12, 2011, 12:08:16 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:15:46 am by Growler

Reply #27 Posted: March 12, 2011, 12:11:52 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline ArtanisNZ

• Addicted
  • ArtanisNZ has no influence.

Reply #28 Posted: March 12, 2011, 12:23:19 am

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

• kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...
Is the Pasific plate detaching or some shiz?

fuck this im going to the moon

Reply #29 Posted: March 12, 2011, 12:39:44 am

Offline Clin

• Addicted
  • Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!

Reply #30 Posted: March 12, 2011, 12:53:32 am

lol @ console hate

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
http://img852.imageshack.us/img852/3413/12998424397614504443.jpg
Japanese Earthquake! 8.9 - 24km* deep

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/2997/12998360777644724293.jpg
Japanese Earthquake! 8.9 - 24km* deep

california

EDIT: Hmm.. Apparently that above image may not be current??
Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 01:09:25 am by Spork

Reply #31 Posted: March 12, 2011, 01:02:20 am

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

• kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...
somewhere, someone is having a good laugh playing simcity

Reply #32 Posted: March 12, 2011, 01:11:09 am

Offline 5tacK

• Addicted
  • 5tacK has no influence.
Not funny, and bad taste spork.

Earthquakes are bad, but tsunami are even worse. Pretty hard watching people in cars trying to outrun tsunami and getting washed away.

Death toll will be massive.

Reply #33 Posted: March 12, 2011, 01:12:46 am
[INDENT]
[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Click here to join our MAV Riding Platoon
[/INDENT]
[INDENT]

[/INDENT]

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

what is bad is my flatmate is ment to be going there in 3 weeks, has payed for everything in advance including a $750 train ticket for 2.5 weeks
He might have to stay here, and loose a bunch of money
Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 01:35:55 am by kookynic

Reply #34 Posted: March 12, 2011, 01:32:59 am

Offline 5tacK

• Addicted
  • 5tacK has no influence.
Yeah, I hope the people of Japan take notice and take care of him in his special moment of need :rolleyes:

Reply #35 Posted: March 12, 2011, 02:05:24 am
[INDENT]
[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Click here to join our MAV Riding Platoon
[/INDENT]
[INDENT]

[/INDENT]

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Quote from: 5tacK;1367653
Not funny, and bad taste spork.

Earthquakes are bad, but tsunami are even worse. Pretty hard watching people in cars trying to outrun tsunami and getting washed away.

Death toll will be massive.

I know it's extremely awful, however posting a picture as I did does not take away from that at all in my opinion.

Reply #36 Posted: March 12, 2011, 02:39:36 am

Offline Greaver

• Just settled in
  • Greaver has no influence.
It was in bad taste however its easier to scroll straight past 5tack

Anyway my thoughts go out to Japan this is a simply horrible event, the damage is just incredible

The Japanese are a very resilient people and I am sure they will do their best to come back from this.

I have a feeling Naruto and Bleach are going to be late next week

Ganbatte Nihon /weeaboo
Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 04:23:28 am by Greaver

Reply #37 Posted: March 12, 2011, 04:21:21 am

Offline camy205

• Addicted
  • camy205 barely matters.camy205 barely matters.
Quote from: Zenith;1367612
Can't watch anymore - the NZ woman commentating the 3 news is rambling and making stuff up now - claiming the oil refinery fire is at Tokyo and the airport they were showing has been washed away.  
Will check back on it later.

:(

Whatshername from tv3 was interviewing this kiwi from tokyo and asked, "how long have you lived in japan?"

I switched to BBC quite quickly.

My god NZ are shit at reporting the news. As are Fox, i checked it and all it said was "US state Hawaii tsunami warning", it's not just america affected by it morons.

My heart goes out to all in Japan, we have family in Kiribati, which have no mountains or hills. I'm praying they're alright.

Reply #38 Posted: March 12, 2011, 06:27:35 am
Quote from: Craigorsarus;1484182
GetSome Thread - Generic Timeline:

- Actual Topic
 - Variation of Topic
 - Someone calls someone a retard
 - Fight
 - Actual Topic
 - Fight
 - Troll
 - Your Mum
 - You\'re*
 - TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL
 - What is this thread about?

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
  • bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.

Reply #39 Posted: March 12, 2011, 08:23:36 am

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Quote from: Emrico1;1367601
If a wave even double that size has to travel across that much deep water and 11 hours, it will fade to the point of nothing much for us.

LOL. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10711888

The tsunami has damaged boats in the San Francisco Bay Area, the ABC has reported.
The water reportedly dropped by about 9 feet (2.7m) at Santa Cruz's harbour as water was sucked out to sea around 8.10am Pacific Standard Time (5.10am NZST).

Several boats broke loose and part of a dock was also pulled away during one of several surges, each of which took about 10 minutes.

GNS is predicting about 1m here in NZ.

Reply #40 Posted: March 12, 2011, 08:30:49 am
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Zenith

• Just settled in
  • Zenith has no influence.
Yet to see what the quake damage is like in the north, was it far enough out to sea that the serious damage is due the tsunami or is there large scale damage inland, no one on TV wanted to touch on this simple point.  Such a massive quake!

Reply #41 Posted: March 12, 2011, 08:34:51 am
 (Until I find a current one...)

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10711889

This is what happens when tsunami warnings are not properly thought out. As if there was any danger.
If we keep getting these warnings and nothing happens, soon enough nobody will take enough notice...

Hawaii got a 2m wave but the speed of the tsunami had been slowed, keep in mind they are in a direct path of open ocean. Phillipines got a 10cm wave and yet they still have warnings out for here? Fail.

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/151449/dont-go-sightseeing-near-water-coastguard

DERP
Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:43:09 am by Emrico1

Reply #42 Posted: March 12, 2011, 08:38:18 am

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Quote from: TofuEater;1367681
LOL. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10711888

GNS is predicting about 1m here in NZ.

"Wave heights of 0.2m have been observed in Nauru and in the Solomon Islands capital of Honiara."

So the waves are going to grow from there to here?

DERP

Reply #43 Posted: March 12, 2011, 08:45:22 am

Offline maorifulla

• Addicted
  • maorifulla has no influence.
thoughts and prayed to our whanau in japan

I just saw there was another small quake just of the coast of molokai in hawaii or something like that

pacific plate going ape shit

Reply #44 Posted: March 12, 2011, 08:57:19 am

Offline Zenith

• Just settled in
  • Zenith has no influence.
Wave height or sea level change? I thought the experts measure based on the level of the surge.  Later waves will be bigger and if you combine it with tide it could have some unexpected results.  I also wonder if 2 waves traveling at different speeds or by different routes could double up.
Potentially dodgy to be in an entrance to port fitzroy on greatbarrier or any of the other other harbours.  Can't imagine open water having any issues except not the smoothest day to be out.

Reply #45 Posted: March 12, 2011, 09:02:22 am
 (Until I find a current one...)

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Greaver;1367662
The Japanese are a very resilient people and I am sure they will do their best to come back from this.

I have a feeling Naruto and Bleach are going to be late next week

Ganbatte Nihon /weeaboo
After the Christchurch Earthquake I had a look at all of the previous big quakes, especially the Kyoto earthquake.

I still dont know how the Japanese manage to make buildings which resist earthquakes so well. I swear it is their advanced space technology.

Ganbatte Kudasare Nippon.

edit: I am waiting for the Doomsday People to pop up and declare the end of the world. Again.
Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 09:18:43 am by Tiwaking!

Reply #46 Posted: March 12, 2011, 09:10:10 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Emrico1

Yeah, tidal surges can be an issue. Best to know about it but the risks are so tiny.

I've been watching swell maps and weather for so long chasing surf, there can be a massive typhoon off Japan causing 30ft waves for that whole pacific basin and NZ gets none of the swell.
We're just not in the open ocean path from there, swell and even tsunamis need deep water and a direct path to travel. A tsunami is still a shockwave through the water but over enough distance it acts more like normal swell as it slows.

So yeah, some minor tide efffects but nothing much for us.

Reply #47 Posted: March 12, 2011, 09:11:31 am

Offline monpepe

• Devoted Member
  • monpepe has no influence.
I have a 3 week holiday booked in Japan starting in 3 weeks for 3 weeks :(

Lucky I decided to get travel insurance early (2 days ago)!!!

But we are going to Tokyo and then South with a tour (not north) and the tour operator has said apart from Tokyo every other place we visit is fine. Tokyo only has minor damage (some fires) and issues with transport and power. Power off as a precaution apparently.

Japan are well prepped to respond to disasters. They will deploy quickly and rebuild quickly. Resilient people. Japan account for 20% of worlds earthquakes and have one every 5 mins in a different part of the country.

Its bad though when your aftershocks are in the sevens!!
Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 09:29:05 am by monpepe

Reply #48 Posted: March 12, 2011, 09:25:03 am

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: kookynic;1367655
what is bad is my flatmate is ment to be going there in 3 weeks, has payed for everything in advance including a $750 train ticket for 2.5 weeks
He might have to stay here, and loose a bunch of money

Wah wah. That's not bad at all.  He should have travel insurance and at least he has his life.
Get outside and get some perspective,kooky.

Reply #49 Posted: March 12, 2011, 09:32:09 am
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.