Topic: Old games that used to float your boat?

Offline SaSa

• I Posted!
  • SaSa has no influence.
Is this the right section? I hope so.

For me it was Starwars Jedi knight: Jedi academy. There is something insanely satisfying about using force choke to smash storm troopers into walls, throw them off ledges, and electrocut them for no real reason. The story was not half bad either, and the fact that you could choose to be good or evil (yes i did both and it was awesome each time) was pretty out their for its time. (Clocked this about ten times, and it was worth it each time)

Honorable Mentions: Age of empires 2 (The first every lan game i played)
                                Call of Duty 1 (Thinking i was awesome that i could run it at full settings)
                                 Freelancer (for being an awesome space game, being an intergalactic space cop was extremely fun. Blasting baddies and running away, occasionally)

So what used to float your boat?

Posted: January 13, 2012, 11:31:31 pm

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
  • Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.
For me it would have to be the Marathon series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marathon_%28video_game%29 or Escape Velocity Override http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EV_Override

Reply #1 Posted: January 13, 2012, 11:36:42 pm

Offline Bane

• Addicted
  • Bane has no influence.

Of course, games like Total Annihilation (Not supreme commander) and Earth 2150: Lost Souls, even SYNDICATE

Reply #2 Posted: January 13, 2012, 11:51:05 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
The original Caesar game.

I remember it being absolutely terrible when I was a kid, but I still played it. No manual. No instructions. The game was impossible to play or understand.

Jump forward 20 years to today and the game hasnt changed at all. It is still just as horrible as it was back then.

Thankfully Civilization was released a year later and it fixed everything. So I guess my answer is: Civilization.

Reply #3 Posted: January 13, 2012, 11:55:04 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
^Yea, I had the same issue, I liked the look of it, but had absolutely no idea how to play.

Reply #4 Posted: January 14, 2012, 05:16:57 am

Offline camy205

• Addicted
  • camy205 barely matters.camy205 barely matters.

Reply #5 Posted: January 14, 2012, 06:58:12 am
Quote from: Craigorsarus;1484182
GetSome Thread - Generic Timeline:

- Actual Topic
 - Variation of Topic
 - Someone calls someone a retard
 - Fight
 - Actual Topic
 - Fight
 - Troll
 - Your Mum
 - You\'re*
 - TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL
 - What is this thread about?

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Wolfenstein.

Reply #6 Posted: January 14, 2012, 07:34:25 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Heretic and Doom 2, Worms, X Wing and Tie Fighter, Jazz Jackrabbit

Reply #7 Posted: January 14, 2012, 07:53:40 am

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!

IK+,

Supercars, and the epic

fairytale.

50 calibre... Man, I could actually ramble on about great old games for ages.

Amiga 500 was my gaming heyday.

Reply #8 Posted: January 14, 2012, 08:50:06 am

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spork;1462024
^Yea, I had the same issue, I liked the look of it, but had absolutely no idea how to play.

I am pretty sure Caesar cant be played, even when using Cohort II as the battle interface. Whats weird was it only took them 3 years to bring out the far superior Caesar II, but it took them seven years to create its Egyptian cut&paste: Pharaoh.
Quote from: Emrico1;1462039
Man, I could actually ramble on about great old games for ages.

Amiga 500 was my gaming heyday.
YouTube user applemctom has a channel devoted to video games and, in particular, an entire series devoted to defunct video game developers.

Reply #9 Posted: January 14, 2012, 09:09:44 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Original Duke Nukems. Before this 3D shit.

Side scrolling FTW.

Reply #10 Posted: January 14, 2012, 09:26:41 am

Offline oefox

• Devoted Member
  • oefox has no influence.
Civilisation would be my biggest genre change from action games to strategy, Might and magic's for rpg, but TES would be overall favourite series and time spent.

Duke 3D for first "online" gameplay over modem but Unreal Tournament was first true online gaming...oh the evening hours wasted at uni instead of studying.

Yeah, I remember first dukes, dangerous dave, commander keen etc., NES beat them all though, super marios bros for best ever game of all time IMO.

Reply #11 Posted: January 14, 2012, 10:37:49 am
- badfox

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Myth was my 1st online game.

1st game, jet set willy on the zx spectrum!

Reply #12 Posted: January 14, 2012, 11:09:22 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: oefox;1462058
Civilisation would be my biggest genre change from action games to strategy, Might and magic's for rpg

Might and Magic?? GO ULTIMA!

LORD BRITISH REPRESENT!!

One dude. Four weeks and a copy of CodeWarrior.

Quote from: Growler;1462059
Myth was my 1st online game.

1st game, jet set willy on the zx spectrum!
Hah! I almost feel sorry for you.
A friend of mine had a speccy and Jet Set Willy. He ran into the attic bug which wasnt present on the C64 version :D

Reply #13 Posted: January 14, 2012, 11:31:17 am

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
Almost too hard to chose, but a blast from the past for me is Sid Meir's Pirates!  Enjoyed all three versions (87, 93 and 04).  Looking at that time line a new version can't be that far away...

Reply #14 Posted: January 14, 2012, 11:42:40 am

Offline pyro

• Addicted
  • pyro has no influence.
Day of the tentacle, Monkey island series and Red Alert 2 took up a shitload of my time when I was younger. Had some great times playing them.

Reply #15 Posted: January 14, 2012, 12:06:46 pm

Offline SaSa

• I Posted!
  • SaSa has no influence.
wow yea all the worms games were all awesome and Duke 3D (in my opinion) was the start of fps. Clocked the demo multiple times, also clocked Duke Nukem 2 (Side scrolling) on an old mac laptop.

Red Alert 1: I played this game about 50 hours and only ever got to the 7th level (easy difficulty was still impossible)
Command and Conquer 1: Clocked this. Such a frustrating game, but worth killing Kane in the end. Brotherhood of Nod was so OP when you play GDI and GDI OP wen you play Nod.

Red Alert 2 and Yuri expansion: Both awesome clocked both of these (the zapper tank things allies got were the best)
Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 12:16:43 pm by SaSa

Reply #16 Posted: January 14, 2012, 12:12:15 pm

Offline CSfaith

• Devoted Member
  • CSfaith has no influence.
1st games I remember on my IBM redstone 386 -

Xeno, Street rod, test drive, Duke nukem 1 + 2 (not the 3d shit) Bolderdash, Striker, oh the days of smashing your space bar were epic. Pretty sure most moden keyboards could not handle the abuse of the old  school mechanical keyboards ! hehe.

Daiblo 2 - Was my 1st online game (56k modem and 1000ms = wut ? ) But have to say it lead me to be come an online gaming guru

Reply #17 Posted: January 14, 2012, 12:27:51 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Boulderdash was EPIC

Reply #18 Posted: January 14, 2012, 12:31:27 pm

Offline CSfaith

• Devoted Member
Yes, yes it was :D Due to my memory not being what it was I have a massive list of game images in my head which I can not remember the names to ahahaha - so more TBA

Reply #19 Posted: January 14, 2012, 12:38:59 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: CSfaith;1462080
...Xeno...
Yessir?

Reply #20 Posted: January 14, 2012, 01:57:12 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline CSfaith

• Devoted Member
I see wot you did thur

Reply #21 Posted: January 14, 2012, 02:17:32 pm

Offline FRAG-em

• Just settled in
  • FRAG-em has no influence.
i think my first ever pc game was paganitsu, but not the aztec one, there was one before that that was a penguin moving blocks around a puzzle.
No need for colour when all we had was green screen crts lol.
First real strat game was Defender of the Crown, loved that shit.

First MMORPG = Diablo II, thanks for getting me hooked on that CSFaith !

Reply #22 Posted: January 14, 2012, 03:37:00 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: FRAG-em;1462097
i think my first ever pc game was paganitsu, but not the aztec one, there was one before that that was a penguin moving blocks around a puzzle.

Paganitzu like a boss.

Loved that shit. Had 1, 2 + 3.

Reply #23 Posted: January 14, 2012, 03:49:48 pm

Offline winfieldsaregoo

• Devoted Member
  • winfieldsaregoo has no influence.
cannonfodder,indy heat,robocop,rick dangerous

Reply #24 Posted: January 14, 2012, 04:25:52 pm