Topic: Scientists discover Earth-like planet

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.

Posted: December 17, 2009, 03:29:47 pm

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
That's pretty cool - gutted about the temperature though

Reply #1 Posted: December 17, 2009, 03:43:28 pm

Offline liquidpain

• Devoted Member
  • liquidpain has no influence.
Too far.

Reply #2 Posted: December 17, 2009, 03:44:45 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
if there are inhabitants. would they be called GJ 1214b-lings?

Reply #3 Posted: December 17, 2009, 04:01:27 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline nzkiwiwhiteboy

• Just settled in
  • nzkiwiwhiteboy has no influence.
nice stroll distance
The only problem is indeed the tempture

Reply #4 Posted: December 17, 2009, 04:01:27 pm
Death by tray it shall be.

Offline Bobyoby

• Devoted Member
  • Bobyoby has no influence.
Quote from: nzkiwiwhiteboy;1038409
nice stroll distance
The only problem is indeed the tempture

Waterplanet?
Between 280 and 120 degrees?

No problem for this guy

Reply #5 Posted: December 17, 2009, 04:33:02 pm

Offline AfroDizzzy

• Addicted
  • AfroDizzzy has no influence.
It doesnt say anything about the water temp. I presume they are refering to the atmospheric temperature. So the water could be alot cooler(hopefully).
I believe their are organisms that live around volcanic 'smokers'. I forgot the proper term but yea. Those things are HOT. but life still goes on.

Reply #6 Posted: December 17, 2009, 04:44:55 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
"Its temperature is estimated at between 280 and 120 degrees Celsius with its host star about one-fifth the size of the Sun, according to the scientists."

It was probably once inhabited by people like us.

Unlike us they couldn't agree on a plan to halt global warming emissions.

We do have a plan don't we?

Reply #7 Posted: December 17, 2009, 05:02:53 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
yeah, the plan is mars isnt it?

Reply #8 Posted: December 17, 2009, 05:03:42 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline RevGD Fr33ze

• Just settled in
  • RevGD Fr33ze has no influence.
We'll just gate off the planet to GJ 1214b renamed P3X-1214 and live there the rest of our.....oh :( no stargate .....k

Reply #9 Posted: December 17, 2009, 05:44:11 pm

Offline nick247

• Addicted
  • nick247 has no influence.
did god create that planet too? if so will those organisms be in heaven with us?

Reply #10 Posted: December 17, 2009, 05:51:30 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: AfroDizzzy;1038434
It doesnt say anything about the water temp. I presume they are refering to the atmospheric temperature. So the water could be alot cooler(hopefully).
I believe their are organisms that live around volcanic 'smokers'. I forgot the proper term but yea. Those things are HOT. but life still goes on.

The boiling temp depends on the pressure, according to the article, so the water probably is indeed that temperature.

Berta said some of the water would likely be in crystalline form that exists at pressures greater than 20,000 times Earth's sea-level atmosphere.

Not sure what they mean by 'crystalline', doesn't sound very liquid to me.

And you are right, we have organisms on Earth which live around volcanic 'smokers' where the temp is 100's of degrees, and also organisms which live in the deepest parts of the ocean where there is immense pressure.

Judging by examples on Earth, the temp and pressure doesn't seams to matter to life, only that the water is liquid, in that case, this super-Earth planet does seam hospitable, just not for humans.

Still not sure what they mean by 'crystalline', sounds solid to me.

Reply #11 Posted: December 17, 2009, 05:53:21 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: JontyB;1038444
yeah, the plan is mars isnt it?

Yes, Mars is too cold, so we need to Global Warming it first before we can live there, Ironic in a way.

Reply #12 Posted: December 17, 2009, 05:54:15 pm

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
  • TuataraDude has no influence.
We are likely to get more sightings of these as Kepler starts doing it's job over the next three years.   http://www.kepler.nasa.gov

Reply #13 Posted: December 17, 2009, 05:54:54 pm
Just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in.

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1038468

Not sure what they mean by 'crystalline', doesn't sound very liquid to me.

Still not sure what they mean by 'crystalline', sounds solid to me.

Ice is crystalline.
It is the solid form of water.

Reply #14 Posted: December 17, 2009, 05:55:14 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Thanks

So it's a 280 degree frozen planet?

Awesome.

But the frozen part would be in the middle, there maybe some part where the pressure is low enough for liquid water to exist.

Here's a fancy chart, as the pressure increases, the water can stay in it's liquid form at a higher temperature, it will also stay in it's solid form at a higher temperature.

Reply #15 Posted: December 17, 2009, 05:56:22 pm

Offline Equity

• Addicted
  • Equity has no influence.
this one was found awhile ago

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18293978/

Reply #16 Posted: December 17, 2009, 06:19:33 pm
"think c2w might be a little to hard core for my skills atm anyways"-Splatter

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
I'm not going unless it looks like this.

Reply #17 Posted: December 17, 2009, 06:38:18 pm

Offline Raped_ByA_Spoon

• Addicted
  • Raped_ByA_Spoon has no influence.
Just cause you want fish for dinner Zarkov!

Reply #18 Posted: December 17, 2009, 07:15:50 pm
Mi aerodeslizador está lleno de anguilas

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Raped_ByA_Spoon;1038501
Just cause you want fish for dinner Zarkov!
"That will make it the first super Earth with a confirmed atmosphere -- even though that atmosphere probably won't be hospitable to life as we know it," said David Charbonneau who heads the research team.

I love this bit.

I've been reading about super-earths a fair bit recently, they're saying that some of the ones discovered so far might have 2x earths gravity, but in trials this is considered ok for humans to exist on (at least untill our off spring in a few generations grow abnormally large muscles then come back to earth and fly!)

these super earths might also be the reason we haven't heard or seen anything from the rest of the galaxy as the power required to exit the planet is exponential due to the energy source requirements and mass required to feed the engines.

shame the life wont be observed in our lifetime.

Reply #19 Posted: December 17, 2009, 07:45:47 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Equity

• Addicted
  • Equity has no influence.
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1038518

shame the life wont be observed in our lifetime.

who knows, technological improvements are expotential (i cant spell that word)

Reply #20 Posted: December 17, 2009, 09:01:38 pm
"think c2w might be a little to hard core for my skills atm anyways"-Splatter

Quote from: Equity;1038556
who knows, technological improvements are exponential (i cant spell that word)

You mean firefox doesn't spell for you?

Reply #21 Posted: December 17, 2009, 10:10:48 pm

Indeed, who knows.

However I think we'll more likely pick up a radio single due to luck, however technological improvement will help, being able to detect very faint signals.

Reply #22 Posted: December 17, 2009, 10:14:12 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!

exponential, yes I know.

Reply #23 Posted: December 17, 2009, 10:14:12 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

Quote from: Spacemonkey;1038581
Indeed, who knows.

However I think we'll more likely pick up a radio single due to luck, however technological improvement will help, being able to detect very faint signals.

Probably one sent by something horrible that wants to eat us.

Reply #24 Posted: December 17, 2009, 10:22:08 pm