Topic: There's always one in every class...

Offline Slim

• Addicted
  • Slim barely matters.Slim barely matters.
Why is there always one no it all jack ass in every university lecture / tutorial?  

Have started a bachelors degree in Defence Studies at Massey.  (Turns out recessions reduce job prospects for unskilled, un-educated people.)  The class is pretty cool, bout 6 Kippenburger officer cadets, few ex military guys and some random arts students.  But there is this one know it all random "look at my massive collection of guns" guys who goes home at night and watches DVD's of tanks.  I just want to hit him right in the jaw.

But its not just now.  In almost every class I have ever had there is always one guy that just has to try and get one up on the lecturer, interrupt classes, argue with classmates in a non-constructive way, make loud stupid jokes that no one gets and are just general weirdoes.

Is this just an arts thing, or are they in all classes?  Anyone else had any esperiences with these kind of people?

Posted: March 04, 2009, 06:51:47 pm
If anyone calls me a PC Fanboy - I will punch them in the Jaw.

Offline woofnstuff

• Addicted
  • woofnstuff has no influence.
yeah, look in the bf2 area here, its full of them

Reply #1 Posted: March 04, 2009, 07:01:59 pm
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don\'t.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: $lim-$hot;898347
Why is there always one no it all jack ass in every university lecture / tutorial?  

Have started a bachelors degree in Defence Studies at Massey.  (Turns out recessions reduce job prospects for unskilled, un-educated people.)  The class is pretty cool, bout 6 Kippenburger officer cadets, few ex military guys and some random arts students.  But there is this one know it all random "look at my massive collection of guns" guys who goes home at night and watches DVD's of tanks.  I just want to hit him right in the jaw.

But its not just now.  In almost every class I have ever had there is always one guy that just has to try and get one up on the lecturer, interrupt classes, argue with classmates in a non-constructive way, make loud stupid jokes that no one gets and are just general weirdoes.

Is this just an arts thing, or are they in all classes?  Anyone else had any esperiences with these kind of people?

I fuckin hate that guy...I call him: Me

Reply #2 Posted: March 04, 2009, 07:03:50 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Catalyst

• Addicted
  • Catalyst barely matters.Catalyst barely matters.
theres one in every class during every level of education

normaly the completely up themselves retards who think they are great but end up failing hard

Reply #3 Posted: March 04, 2009, 07:05:24 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Yeah, in my experience they fail early and leave.

Oh yes, douches fail.

Reply #4 Posted: March 04, 2009, 07:54:22 pm

Offline Who_ate_my_rice

• Addicted
  • Who_ate_my_rice has no influence.
during my electrotechnology class at unitech, there was this one chap who was like that his name was... i dont know what his name was.  but we nicknamed him Angus.   mainly because he kept bitching about how the class was always having fun, and how the teacher isnt doing a good job teaching.

most of us passed, he just managed to scrape through.

There was this one lecturer called Nigel, at unitech.  Fuckin really good teacher.  Explained everything clearly with a practical real world senario.  This angus guy contacts the head of department and complains about him.  the teacher evaluation cards get passed out, and what do you know, everything BA>

no one liked him.  And thus, classes did everythign together but didnt invite him.

what a dick head

Reply #5 Posted: March 04, 2009, 08:04:06 pm
( •_•)>⌐

Offline smegmacheese

• Devoted Member
  • smegmacheese has no influence.
Lecturers encouraged students to argue with them in classes I took.  Some classes were spent entirely arguing an aside point.  Despite this, these classes were always popular and waitlisted at university.  

The pass rate remained high, and the experiences were one of my more enjoyable at uni.  I read the rationale behind [it] is:

That it forces you to better your argument by increasing your own level of knowledge in order to win.

I think our forum trolls give a fine example of this.  They seem to live to pick and refresh the webpage in order to  pick up some pedantic point they can Google.  They are tenacious, whereas probably a lot of us just cbf doing the research and work.

Reply #6 Posted: March 04, 2009, 08:13:14 pm

Offline Bobyoby

• Devoted Member
  • Bobyoby has no influence.
Quote from: Who_ate_my_rice;898384
during my electrotechnology class at unitech, there was this one chap who was like that his name was... i dont know what his name was.  but we nicknamed him Angus.   mainly because he kept bitching about how the class was always having fun, and how the teacher isnt doing a good job teaching.

most of us passed, he just managed to scrape through.

There was this one lecturer called Nigel, at unitech.  Fuckin really good teacher.  Explained everything clearly with a practical real world senario.  This angus guy contacts the head of department and complains about him.  the teacher evaluation cards get passed out, and what do you know, everything BA>

no one liked him.  And thus, classes did everythign together but didnt invite him.

what a dick head

I have a kid like that in some of my classes, but his name IS Angus and instead of nicknaming him Angus we call him "anus"

Reply #7 Posted: March 04, 2009, 08:26:26 pm

Offline Lazza

• Devoted Member
  • Lazza has no influence.
It's the pricks who ask the smart arsed questions that they already know the answer to that pissed me off. Wasting the classes time just to try and impress the class, sorta like Jordy does here.

Reply #8 Posted: March 04, 2009, 08:54:33 pm
Werner Erhard (Dressage Commentator) - "This is really a lovely horse and I speak from personal experience since I once mounted her mother."

Goatfodda - "If you artillery another flag where I\'m at alone I\'ll come kill you myself."

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: $lim-$hot;898347

All classes anywhere.

Sometimes it's actually a good thing though, such as smegmacheese has already pointed out.

Sometimes they are fail early dropouts because they think they're better than they are.
Other times they're only annoying because they interrupt the flow of the lecture. They ask relevant and probing questions... but it's just the quantity. A good lecture can be like a river ride. You can go down smoothly and take in all the scenery... or you can go down and hit every fucking rock on the way...

I had a lecturer who used to ramble all class on tangets... and when he finally got back to his notes it would be a case of flicking through them going "already covered that, already talked about that... done that..."

I actually really enjoyed his lectures. Others found it really shit, because the ramble style made them switch off when he started on his tangent, and thus they missed all the cleverly disguised pearls of wisdom.

Quote from: smegmacheese;898389
They are tenacious, whereas probably a lot of us just cbf doing the research and work.

Some of us troll because we cbf doing work.

Reply #9 Posted: March 04, 2009, 08:58:20 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Aloysius

• Just settled in
  • Aloysius has no influence.
I am first year at Canty uni. It's only a few weeks in and hardly anyone has said a peep. Admittedly some of the lectures are really massive. But the tuts have just started, so things will change soon enough.

Reply #10 Posted: March 04, 2009, 10:46:02 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
lol, first year.
Such such such a good time.

I got kicked out of R&R :(

Reply #11 Posted: March 04, 2009, 10:54:38 pm

Offline StarDream

• Just settled in
  • StarDream has no influence.
Havnt had any in 2nd or 3rd year papers at Auckland uni. Maybe its just 1st year papers or your uni?

Reply #12 Posted: March 04, 2009, 11:10:13 pm

Offline Pyromanik

They're a little less common at uni, I only had one in one out of all the classes I did. Unfortunately he was in about 3 papers that I did. Fortunately he wasn't all that annoying at all, and often asked good questions.

Reply #13 Posted: March 04, 2009, 11:24:30 pm

Offline ChefKill

• Just settled in
  • ChefKill has no influence.
one of my older brothers has done the exact same thing, was in the territorials at the time. now currently in the police.

Reply #14 Posted: March 04, 2009, 11:26:30 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Probably the reason he is tbh. So he has the 'authority' on his side when he says "yes it is!" when really it's not.

Reply #15 Posted: March 04, 2009, 11:27:53 pm

Offline Zig

• Just settled in
  • Zig has no influence.
Quote from: † ĐĄ † Aloysius;898462
I am first year at Canty uni. It's only a few weeks in and hardly anyone has said a peep. Admittedly some of the lectures are really massive. But the tuts have just started, so things will change soon enough.

You doing engineering?

I'm first year at Canty....again. Doing Fine Arts though, so smaller classes, no one says in anything in lectures, because our lecturer won't shut up lol, but tutorials and studio is great for discussion. A lot better than CompSci.

Quote from: StarDream;898478
Havnt had any in 2nd or 3rd year papers at Auckland uni. Maybe its just 1st year papers or your uni?

Yea I had a few in my 100level papers when I was doing CompSci (computer nerds are dicks :P ), but my 200 level Maths papers were all good. Fine Arts is better as well.

Reply #16 Posted: March 05, 2009, 12:34:41 am

Offline pix

• Addicted
  • pix has no influence.
Watch out for man students - they love to interrupt. I'm second year at Canterbury.

Pyro... of all the halls, you got kicked out of R&R? how in hell did you manage that? *sits down for epic story of drunken action*

Reply #17 Posted: March 05, 2009, 12:53:21 am
I still call it ICONZ.

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
Quote from: Pyromanik;898492
Probably the reason he is tbh. So he has the 'authority' on his side when he says "yes it is!" when really it's not.

I think Chef was referring to the qual (Defence Studies).

Reply #18 Posted: March 05, 2009, 12:56:06 am

Offline Spin

• Just settled in
  • Spin has no influence.
Ive got a fag like that in my class who always annoys my awesome economics teacher, well the other day this dick started choking and he was seriously sick and he asked my teacher if he could get a drink of water
My teacher said 'yes' and wen he stood up (still choking) he said 'no sit down'
and made him choke for the rest of the time
ROFL teaches him right.

Reply #19 Posted: March 05, 2009, 08:11:21 am

Offline Kaizer

• Devoted Member
  • Kaizer has no influence.
Quote from: StarDream;898478

Maybe peole just drop out after 1st year ?

Reply #20 Posted: March 05, 2009, 08:17:36 am
Gigabyte P55 UD4|Intel i7 860 @ 3.6GHZ|Prolimatech Megashadow|SuperTalent 4GB 1600|Corsair HX 620|ATI Radeon 5870|Samsung F3 1TB|LG W2353V 23"|Lian Li Dragonlord KCB62|Logitech G930|Logitech G500

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: pix;898548
*sits down for epic story of drunken action*

That IS the story.

Reply #21 Posted: March 05, 2009, 10:04:47 am

Offline mish

• Addicted
  • mish has no influence.
Quote from: woofnstuff;898355
yeah, look in the bf2 area here, its full of them

Well played, good sir.

Reply #22 Posted: March 05, 2009, 10:14:20 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I like watching DVD's of tanks

Reply #23 Posted: March 05, 2009, 10:21:56 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
They have a Massey in Perth?

Reply #24 Posted: March 05, 2009, 10:34:56 am