Topic: Cool photos you've taken

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
I was lucky enough to be given a Nikon 105mm 2.8 1:1 macro lens to play with today, hopefully have it for a little while. Here are some plays at work, hand held so fucking hard to keep focused, small sized full image, and a 100% crop. Pic is the front of a USB dongle and a small aluminuim swing tab that goes with it.

The small text I would put at maybe 2mm tall.

Reply #525 Posted: April 01, 2010, 02:57:55 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline prolax

• Administrator
  • prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...
Another photography session @ New Lynn train station. Was not allowed to use my tripod as it looked 'to pro' :/

HDR image + a slight Photoshop edit. The 'ghosting' around the people was a result of my multiple exposures. I purposely kept them there instead of attempted to remove it in PhotoMatix or Photoshop.

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/4768/trainstationk.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

Reply #526 Posted: April 01, 2010, 03:53:45 pm

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
Nice - very vibrant ! - what kinda camera are you using? I don't think mine is flash enough to do HDR shots :(

Reply #527 Posted: April 01, 2010, 04:01:41 pm

Offline prolax

• Administrator
  • prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...
Canon EOS 1000D

Reply #528 Posted: April 01, 2010, 04:47:46 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: winter;1094776
Nice - very vibrant ! - what kinda camera are you using? I don't think mine is flash enough to do HDR shots :(

Of course it is.

You just need to take multiple photos at differnet exposure levels, then put it into a piece of software that knows how to layer and process HDR imagery.

It's mostly software side that handles the HDR effect. A camera doesn't need a certain function to achieve this (apart from manual control). Google search your camera model + HDR tutorial, and you should find a step by step guide on how to do it.

Reply #529 Posted: April 01, 2010, 04:56:33 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Canon handhelds can have a hacked firmware installed that will do bracketing for you, otherwise you do as Ri said. Prolax would of taken his 3 photos for that within 1 second I imagine, alot harder to do if you have to manually change setting between each pic (with moving objects)

Reply #530 Posted: April 01, 2010, 04:58:31 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Growler

Moonrise over Pier at New Brighton tonight.

Reply #531 Posted: April 01, 2010, 09:47:57 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Quote from: Growler;1094819
Canon handhelds can have a hacked firmware installed that will do bracketing for you, otherwise you do as Ri said. Prolax would of taken his 3 photos for that within 1 second I imagine, alot harder to do if you have to manually change setting between each pic (with moving objects)

I was wondering if the bracketing option on my Nikon D90 was for HDR, or something similar, been meaning to try it out.

Reply #532 Posted: April 02, 2010, 11:56:19 am

Offline Zenith

• Just settled in
  • Zenith has no influence.
Quote from: Spork;1095094
I was wondering if the bracketing option on my Nikon D90 was for HDR, or something similar, been meaning to try it out.

Bracketing is used to get different exposure levels for the same shot then you pick the best.  A must for a film cammera when you set up a shot and cant just play back the photos.  You can't just go back and capture that sunset an F stop down later.  Ideal for HDR I guess, thou I don't know what the spread of exposures used normally is.

Reply #533 Posted: April 02, 2010, 12:46:56 pm
 (Until I find a current one...)

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Cool, I thought that is at least something I could use bracketing for, even if that isn't what it is essentially for, good on days when it isn't so easy to see the LCD screen because of glare or for what ever reason.

I went down to the local river by the city today to take some photos, a few turned out alright, will upload some as I come across the one or two decent ones I ended up with. :P

... Whoops, forgot to rezise!

EDIT: Here we are.

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/3622/dsc02463747023.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

Reply #534 Posted: April 02, 2010, 05:44:22 pm

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
  • bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.
Nice fish!
There are heaps of great photos here guys!

I confess to just getting a Canon 5D mk2...
It brackets and all sorts of stuff. Serious High res movies too.
Instant love!

Here's a Hydrangea photo frm this afternoon in autumn colours. If you use it as a desktop set it to centre on white BG...

Spoiler :
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/9707/autumnhydrangea.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

Reply #535 Posted: April 02, 2010, 06:14:44 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Freakin jealous. bRb.

Reply #536 Posted: April 02, 2010, 06:20:42 pm

Offline Growler

Quote from: RetardoBot;1095230
Freakin jealous. bRb.

as am me

Reply #537 Posted: April 02, 2010, 06:27:42 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: bigROBOTbill;1095229
Nice fish!
There are heaps of great photos here guys!

I confess to just getting a Canon 5D mk2...
It brackets and all sorts of stuff. Serious High res movies too.
Instant love!

Here's a Hydrangea photo frm this afternoon in autumn colours. If you use it as a desktop set it to centre on white BG...

Spoiler :
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/9707/autumnhydrangea.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

Horrible fish.

Noxious in fact.

Reply #538 Posted: April 02, 2010, 06:53:31 pm

Offline Growler

More playing with macro, still hard with moving subjects. Need to find my massive fill flash so can use a bigger DOF on things like the spider. Small full image + a 100% crop.

Macro is definately a patient mans game when trying to do bugs etc, looking forward to trying more over the weekend.

Catseye

100% crop (larger pic)
Spoiler :

Small house spider

100% crop (larger pic)
Spoiler :

Reply #539 Posted: April 02, 2010, 07:44:12 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline nz_wing

• Devoted Member
  • nz_wing has no influence.
I love photography and am jealous of you guys.

I would love to get into the hobby of photography but im just a poor student that can't afford anything especially a half decent camera =/

Reply #540 Posted: April 02, 2010, 08:01:52 pm

XBL GT: kazzaWing

Offline Zenith

• Just settled in
  • Zenith has no influence.
@spork.
Speaking of bracketing, that fish photo for example looks a bit washed out in colours and overexposed because of the bright sun.  By bracketing you would probably find the underexposed photo would have better colour and definition.  I'm sure there are other tricks for getting good photos in bright sun and it may depend on the light metering of the camera, etc.

I will have to get some of my old photos out and post them up.
I'd love to be able to get a nice DSLR.  My Dad just ordered a EOS550D with the 2 lenses. Only problems is he doesnt know much about photography, So I told him he needs to do a bit of reading.  If anyone knows good web sites for Basic photography instruction they would be much appreciated.

Reply #541 Posted: April 03, 2010, 10:42:29 pm
 (Until I find a current one...)

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Quote from: Zenith;1095545
@spork.
Speaking of bracketing, that fish photo for example looks a bit washed out in colours and overexposed because of the bright sun.  By bracketing you would probably find the underexposed photo would have better colour and definition.  I'm sure there are other tricks for getting good photos in bright sun and it may depend on the light metering of the camera, etc.

I'd love to be able to get a nice DSLR.  My Dad just ordered a EOS550D with the 2 lenses. Only problems is he doesnt know much about photography, So I told him he needs to do a bit of reading.  If anyone knows good web sites for Basic photography instruction they would be much appreciated.

Yea thanks mate, I did try bracketing with a few different shoots that day, but none really turned out, most photos looked washed out, and a bit blurry because they were all hand held.

Reply #542 Posted: April 03, 2010, 10:44:23 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Quote from: Zenith;1095545
@spork.

Yea thanks mate, I did try bracketing with a few different shoots that day, but none really turned out, most photos looked washed out, and a bit blurry because they were all hand held.

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/3003/dsc02868061295.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

For example.

EDIT: But the good thing is, I am now getting out and taking more photos, so I can only get better!

Learn from what has caused me trouble in the past.

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/8423/dsc0298p.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

Decided to walk back to my car via Adelaide Oval, to check out how the upgrade to the oval is going, and snapped a few shots of this fountain that looked quite nice... Which is quite the opposite to how the new upgrades to Adelaide Oval look. :(

Reply #543 Posted: April 03, 2010, 10:47:00 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
EDIT: But the good thing is, I am now getting out and taking more photos, so I can only get better!

Learn from what has caused me trouble in the past.

It seems my quick post buttons are not working, can not post, go advanced, delete nor cancel while using quick post.

Reply #544 Posted: April 03, 2010, 10:49:35 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/8423/dsc0298p.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

Reply #545 Posted: April 03, 2010, 10:55:03 pm

Offline ToxicButtNZ

• Just settled in
  • ToxicButtNZ has no influence.
Thought you might like this ... http://61226.com/share/hk.swf

Hover mouse slightly over picture, move mouse slowly down

Reply #546 Posted: April 04, 2010, 04:16:51 pm

Offline Virus.

• Devoted Member
  • Virus. has no influence.
Made this myself. Two slightly different pictures and put next to each other on Photoshop. Easy.

Sorry for unremarkable picture, this is the one that turned out the best.

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/6416/3dpoolsmallcopy.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

**INSTRUCTIONS**

• Stare at two pictures
  • Cross your eyes until pictures merge together to form one
  • Profit

NOTE: If you are having trouble try moving further away from the screen or imagine something very far away behind the images.

I will take others and make some more if I get round to it. Just one for now though.

Reply #547 Posted: April 04, 2010, 04:41:52 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Can you please spoiler the spider pic?

I have a really fucked up phobia of them, and it makes me freak out every time i pass it...

Reply #548 Posted: April 04, 2010, 04:42:52 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Virus.

• Devoted Member
  • Virus. has no influence.
Really?

Reply #549 Posted: April 04, 2010, 05:18:22 pm