Topic: Only 1/3 of Kickstarter video games deliver the game

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
I think its also a case of being smart with the projects. I found electronics projects generally deliver (if not at a much later date), because they usually have a working prototype and have actually put the time into how to build the production models (often they even have a few prod ones made up, and just need money for dies etc). Furthermore anyone looking to make big runs often works in the electronics industry themselves and knows exactly how to get stuff to market/have the knowledge of how to do it.

In contrast games seem to have a fairly bad streak because people underestimate how hard it is to make a game. And from what i have read (read a lot of the why kickstarter project x failed), people don't know how to manage money for things like this. There's no 10k invoice to pay a manufacturer for parts, so people spend it on stuff like promo gear, or flying people places etc. Then realize they are short of money to pay for things they need to complete the project.
And consumers apply a similar train of thought (prototyped electronics) to games, expecting shit to magically fall into place with just a few niggles left to be conquered.

Generally people understand physical engineering takes parts, complex design, etc. But computers are almost always magic black boxes for consumers, they just don't get what goes in to make shit come out. Thus you see lots of folks buying 'early access' or otherwise alpha level software then having a massive whinge when it's not at all what they expected.

But even then I've got a friend who patrols kickstarter reasonably often, and he's had electronic devices fail to deliver an up to scratch product, or ship a disassembled product... that even had parts missing (the classic "insert part A into part b"... where is part A?").

Again pretty much stemming from 'I pay money, I should get a product' consumerist approach to incentives for investment.
Sure everyone is looking to get a return, and the finished product is the easiest way to satisfy that to consumer level investors, but ultimately I think it's flawed.

I like the idea of crowdfunding, it has it's pros (I mentioned at the end of my last post), but as mentioned many times already, there's a LOT of shit out there, and this very discussion existing in the first place show the cons.
Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 11:15:45 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #25 Posted: January 29, 2014, 11:08:58 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
So people look at folks who spend uber dollars on this and go "how fucking sad" and "wtf that's waaaaaaay too much to spend on a game!" etc. And that's COMPLETELY the wrong way to look at this. They're not 'buying the game' at all. They're investing to help it reach fruition at all (not that it really needs much more at this point but that's beside the point). The amount that has been invested (overall or by any individual) isn't a measure of how they're printing money, it's a measure of how MUCH the community want to see this succeed.
Anyone who thinks it is sad to spend uber dollars on a video game and then goes and buys an expensive penis mobile should probably look at themselves a bit more closely.

Supporting games like Star Citizen is, not only amazing, but inspiring. Plus it prints money. Who could not like something that is inspiring, makes people happy, and prints money, and isnt Apple or Cocaine!

Reply #26 Posted: January 29, 2014, 11:29:15 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
I've backed a lot of kickstarter projects and most of them have turned out great. Sometimes they don't live up to my expectations, many times they do.

Do your due diligence and find out about the creator, and you should be ok.

Right now, I'm most excited for Torment, Project Eternity, Hex and Defense Grid 2.

Reply #27 Posted: January 30, 2014, 01:33:16 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Is someone in this forum psychic or something? Yahtzee "Ben Croshaw" decided to widdle all over the idea of Kickstarter this week
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/8744-Broken-Age

Reply #28 Posted: January 30, 2014, 05:44:26 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Is someone in this forum psychic or something? Yahtzee "Ben Croshaw" decided to widdle all over the idea of Kickstarter this week
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/8744-Broken-Age

Urghh he's so average like a topsy turvy homeless man on a go-daddy 50% off sale.

I fuckin' hate that guy.

Reply #29 Posted: January 30, 2014, 07:37:27 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
ohhhh some1 so mad.
I like his ramblings.

Reply #30 Posted: January 30, 2014, 10:41:08 pm

Offline AvatarFACE

• Devoted Member
  • AvatarFACE is working their way up.AvatarFACE is working their way up.AvatarFACE is working their way up.
I like the swearwords he invents and also his ramblings. More humour than actual reviewing.

Reply #31 Posted: January 30, 2014, 11:37:44 pm
Wallpaper thread (It was good when it was updated)

Offline Pyromanik

Plus I agree on most points he makes. Probably helps.

Reply #32 Posted: January 31, 2014, 12:04:20 am

Offline han16

• Addicted
  • han16 has no influence.
I like the swearwords he invents and also his ramblings. More humour than actual reviewing.

This, his console round up end of last year was teary eyed laughter material.

Reply #33 Posted: January 31, 2014, 08:16:32 am
Reverse Jihad Tank Extraordinaire

Offline Tiwaking!

Yahtzee defecates on Kickstarter again this week in his Extra Punctuation.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/10990-The-Nostalgia-Factor.2
I think Kickstarter is one of the troublemakers. It's a system wherein people are asked to pay for something based solely on a description, and in that environment, nostalgia is king. Projects that pledge to recreate old games you used to like are virtually guaranteed to make the money back. And through that process you can see microcosmic examples of nostalgia becoming a conduit for conservatism and mistrust of the outsider. Look at all that retardation that surrounded Mighty No. 9 when the community of backers threw a collective shit-fit over the controversial hiring of a community manager who - through either being a woman, a feminist or a non-Megaman fan, depending on who you ask - committed the sin of being NOT ONE OF US. So everyone pointed and screeched like Donald Sutherland at the end of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers

Seriously though, if given a choice between funding something new and innovative vs, say, the new Pokémon Stadium game, which would you choose?

Reply #34 Posted: February 13, 2014, 03:30:00 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Nostalgia doesn't promote investment, it promotes "I would buy that".
New and innovative is an investment, you risk money to reap benefits and rewards at other end.
Nostalgia is safe, "I'd love to play something like that again..." only without actually having anything playable at all.

Reply #35 Posted: February 14, 2014, 08:22:28 am

Codex

Seriously though, if given a choice between funding something new and innovative vs, say, the new Pokémon Stadium game, which would you choose?

Pokemon stadium

Reply #36 Posted: February 14, 2014, 08:27:29 am

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
Yahtzee defecates on Kickstarter again this week in his Extra Punctuation.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/10990-The-Nostalgia-Factor.2
I think Kickstarter is one of the troublemakers. It's a system wherein people are asked to pay for something based solely on a description, and in that environment, nostalgia is king. Projects that pledge to recreate old games you used to like are virtually guaranteed to make the money back. And through that process you can see microcosmic examples of nostalgia becoming a conduit for conservatism and mistrust of the outsider. Look at all that retardation that surrounded Mighty No. 9 when the community of backers threw a collective shit-fit over the controversial hiring of a community manager who - through either being a woman, a feminist or a non-Megaman fan, depending on who you ask - committed the sin of being NOT ONE OF US. So everyone pointed and screeched like Donald Sutherland at the end of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers

I'm not a massive Yahtzee fan, but he pretty much embodies my view in the first three sentences of your quote Tiwa. That and the ability the backed game studio has of changing everything as they please, when they want, and without any consequence. The whole Double Fine shitstorm is my ongoing example of that.

Side note: why did I read that paragraph in his accent and at speed like he would...

Reply #37 Posted: February 14, 2014, 10:38:44 am
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
Side note: why did I read that paragraph in his accent and at speed like he would...

I can fix that for you.

Titty sprinkles.

Reply #38 Posted: February 15, 2014, 08:01:30 am

Offline Pyromanik

Because of all the punctuation?

Reply #39 Posted: February 15, 2014, 10:38:25 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!

Reply #40 Posted: February 17, 2014, 09:03:35 am

Offline Tiwaking!

Nostalgia doesn't promote investment, it promotes "I would buy that".
New and innovative is an investment, you risk money to reap benefits and rewards at other end.
Nostalgia is safe, "I'd love to play something like that again..." only without actually having anything playable at all.
Unfortunately I am way, way too late for this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/therepopulation/the-repopulation-a-sandbox-mmorpg
The Repopulation is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game in a science fiction setting.  In many ways it is a throwback to the social aspects and sandbox driven gameplay that made titles like Star Wars Galaxies and Ultima Online successful
pre-NGE Star Wars Galaxies :nostalgia: :nostalgia: :nostalgia:

Reply #41 Posted: June 16, 2014, 06:11:57 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Neon Genesis Evangaleon and Star Wars are linked how?

Reply #42 Posted: June 17, 2014, 10:09:15 am