Topic: Football Thread (formally Soccer Thread)

Offline maorifulla

• Addicted
  • maorifulla has no influence.
it changed the whole tone of the game

after that the phoenix started pushing forward when they needed to score and thats when the holes appeared and brosque started opening them up

Go the victory !

Reply #600 Posted: March 14, 2010, 08:12:24 am

Offline Xt1ncT

• Addicted
  • Xt1ncT has no influence.
Quote from: maorifulla;1083843
BL phoenix

that handball goal really changed the tide of the game

I hope melbourne kick sydneys as next week

Quote from: Zenith;1083914
Phoenix started playing better after they equalized 1-1.  I don't know what the usual punishment is but if the ref saw it you would think it would be red card and 10 v 11 for the rest of the game.  The Henry one vs Ireland was definitely red card if seen IMO.
Imagine the roasting he would have got if it was a home game.  
A-league could be a good testing ground for fifa for TV refs for this sort of thing.

Yes - Go Melbourne

Quote from: maorifulla;1083917
it changed the whole tone of the game

after that the phoenix started pushing forward when they needed to score and thats when the holes appeared and brosque started opening them up

Go the victory !
This is interesting - I listed to a lot of debate over it on the way back from Hamilton on Sunday and watched it live.

Being an AVID football fan, and a qualified ref I am not actually sure it should have been disallowed.

Let me state my case.

The facts are:

The freekick was played in, Payne and the defender pushed into the 6 yard box to attack/defend the ball. Payne tried to head the ball in, he missed it with his head and the ball hit his hand/arm.

Now that's the way  I saw it. And the crucial part is "the ball hit his hand/arm" . Unlike Maradona and Henry where they deliberately handled the ball. This being the case one could argue that it wasn't deliberate handball and that the goal should have stood.

Once again for those of you who don't know the laws of football - for it to be adjudged handball there has to be intent to handle the ball, it has to be deliberate. Now forget about the outcome for a second - do you think he deliberately handled the ball? I don't think he did - he just wasn't good enough to head it.

Now if I am correct, then it's accidental handball and the goal stands.

Reply #601 Posted: March 15, 2010, 05:30:12 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
I was going to say that about the handball not being intentional, but really only the player knows if he knew the ball would hit his arm. However iknew rat I wouldbe sand blasted for even suggesting it.

Reply #602 Posted: March 15, 2010, 05:35:01 pm

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...
The fact is the Phoenix were outplayed quite comprehensively on the night.I was disappointed with Ricky Herberts little cry after the match.He should have just sucked it up and said "that's Football".On the bright side it least there wasn't as much at stake as when Henry did it.

Reply #603 Posted: March 15, 2010, 05:48:01 pm

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
Quote from: Spork;1084750
I was going to say that about the handball not being intentional, but really only the player knows if he knew the ball would hit his arm. However iknew rat I wouldbe sand blasted for even suggesting it.

I wonder what your response would be if it happened to your beloved Arsenal?

Still it didn't look delliberate, but common sense would say if you got an advantage from your handling the ball then it sould be a free kick to the opposition

Reply #604 Posted: March 15, 2010, 06:42:47 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Quote from: SteddieEddie;1084792
I wonder what your response would be if it happened to your beloved Arsenal?

Still it didn't look delliberate, but common sense would say if you got an advantage from your handling the ball then it sould be a free kick to the opposition

You've seen me post after Arsenal have been defeated. I am a worse loser than Wenger.

It happened just the other day, not the same circumstances, but the first CL leg against Porto, that was absolute bullshit. I complained a lot, but I move on, as I know you all will, but I accept that is a part of soccer.

Reply #605 Posted: March 15, 2010, 10:59:33 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
lol@chelsea

Reply #606 Posted: March 17, 2010, 11:59:38 am

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...
Drogba spat the dummy again.Severe lack of discipline in that side.

Reply #607 Posted: March 17, 2010, 12:02:20 pm

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
Sniff sniff.

Oh well there is always the EPL

Reply #608 Posted: March 17, 2010, 12:56:30 pm

Offline R3DM@N

• Addicted
  • R3DM@N has no influence.
Chelsea, build me up to let me down :P

You're right there is no discipline - week in and week out same shit.

Bring back Cech

Reply #609 Posted: March 17, 2010, 05:17:30 pm

Offline maorifulla

• Addicted
Dont worry Red

You guys will probably be signing Torres very soon and then you guys will be unstoppable

Reply #610 Posted: March 18, 2010, 10:08:19 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Quote from: maorifulla;1086874
Dont worry Red

You guys will probably be signing Torres very soon and then you guys will be unstoppable

No way would Chelsea sign Torres, he would have to replace somebody if he did go there.

Reply #611 Posted: March 18, 2010, 10:36:27 pm

Offline maorifulla

• Addicted
apparently its anelka

Sorry we couldnt get that win this morning for you spork

Man U got the lead back in the premiership

Reply #612 Posted: March 22, 2010, 08:05:23 am

henno

and will be keeping it for the rest of the season   :bounce:

Reply #613 Posted: March 22, 2010, 08:49:02 am

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Oh well, at least London's 'bridge' is burning down. Gives us a decent chance at it.

Reply #614 Posted: March 22, 2010, 11:22:45 am

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
Bring on Man U this weekend.

We are going to smash them

Reply #615 Posted: March 28, 2010, 08:55:46 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Why is everyone changing their names? Hard to keep up with, even if their old ones are listed just underneath their names.

Bleh. Stupid Birmingham, stupid Almunia, oh well, we have had a good chance at the title, at least we didn't bottle it completely like normal, and there is still 6 games left, and we will gain points on the top two no matter what this weekend.

Reply #616 Posted: March 28, 2010, 09:47:19 pm

Offline maorifulla

• Addicted
yeah BL arsenal

but at least your doing better than Liverpool who arent even a chance anymore
Man U v Chelsea this weekend

COME ON CHELSEA COME ON CHELSEA

Reply #617 Posted: March 29, 2010, 08:03:40 am

Offline Zenith

• Just settled in
  • Zenith has no influence.
Quote from: Zenith;1067705
I pick Burmingham to give you some trouble

@Spork -Back from when you made your prediction, how is the 32 points going?

Still Liverpool manage to loose the most "sure thing" games - at least they had another win - will be hard work for them to make top 4 now, still do able.

And re-the name changes - I never figured out how to say Runing's name anyway- is it Running or 'Rune'ing ??

Reply #618 Posted: March 29, 2010, 08:38:54 pm
 (Until I find a current one...)

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Quote from: Zenith;1093150
@Spork -Back from when you made your prediction, how is the 32 points going?

Still Liverpool manage to loose the most "sure thing" games - at least they had another win - will be hard work for them to make top 4 now, still do able.

And re-the name changes - I never figured out how to say Runing's name anyway- is it Running or 'Rune'ing ??

Well I can't remember how many games were left when I made that prediction, and can't be bothered searching for the post, but the draw with Birmingham is the first game we haven't won since the Chelsea Man U games, so I'd say pretty good!

Reply #619 Posted: March 29, 2010, 10:00:21 pm

Offline R3DM@N

• Addicted
  • R3DM@N has no influence.
team that wins this weekend will take it out i'd say

Reply #620 Posted: March 30, 2010, 04:03:26 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Quote from: R3DM@N;1093649
team that wins this weekend will take it out i'd say

Here comes a Man U Chelsea draw and an Arsenal win then!

Hahahahah.

Reply #621 Posted: March 30, 2010, 09:48:50 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Good game of Arsenal v Barcelona this morning, Almunia made maybe five saves in the first half which finished 0-0, and they were the five best saves he has ever made, absolute quality. Then I think ten minutes into the second we went 0-2 thanks to Ibra on both occasions, but then Wenger subbed Sagna off for Walcott (chucked Eboue into RB and Walcott on the right wing I think) and he scored almost instantly, huge impact sub.

Then Puyol pushed Cesc over in the box to earn us a penalty and Puyol got a red card. Of course Cesc converted, but then we saw the same footage as we saw after Cesc scored that awesome free kick against Aston Villa, his injury came back. =(

Match ended 2-2, which means we will have to play quite a good game at Nou Camp in the return leg.

Reply #622 Posted: April 01, 2010, 12:09:05 pm

Offline maorifulla

• Addicted
COME ON CHELSEA COME ON CHELSEA!!!

Reply #623 Posted: April 04, 2010, 07:50:14 am

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
You little ripper!

2-1 to the MIGHTY Blues.

Here we go here we go here we go   . All the way to the double    jbanimal

Reply #624 Posted: April 04, 2010, 07:51:48 am