Topic: Valve Steam Box Rumors

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
CDN: functional.

So now just back to the original problem...
Lack of game support.

Reply #75 Posted: December 23, 2012, 12:09:42 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Xsannz;1511203
Yeah that excuse of closed system windows and then announce in turn a closed system and hint at building something custom if you don't like it seems a little hypocritical.

I remember the days before Steam

Reply #76 Posted: January 01, 2013, 04:59:06 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
I remember the days before DRM.

Reply #77 Posted: January 01, 2013, 07:10:38 pm

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
Quote from: Pyromanik;1513266
I remember the days before DRM.

Analogue Rights Managment?  Like when the game would require you to give the 3rd word on the first line of Page 5 of the manual before it would let you in?

My favourite of those 80's copy protection systems was the Microprose games (F19 Stealth Fighter & M1 Tank Platoon from memory) which required you to ID silhouettes of Planes / Vehicles, so if you were nerdy enough you could play anyway :)

Reply #78 Posted: January 01, 2013, 08:26:34 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: BeNZene;1513280
Analogue Rights Managment?  Like when the game would require you to give the 3rd word on the first line of Page 5 of the manual before it would let you in?

Ah, those were terrible. With x-wing, you had to look up codes in the manual. Was really annyoing when you lost the manual and couldn't play anymore.

Oh, and always having to put the CD in the drive. tbh, DRM these day is better.

Reply #79 Posted: January 02, 2013, 12:28:59 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Nah, because these days it doesn't matter if you have the disc in the drive or not, you can't play it ever.

Reply #80 Posted: January 02, 2013, 08:04:12 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I play games all the time.

Well not all the time, sometimes I have to eat and shit too.

Reply #81 Posted: January 05, 2013, 06:08:41 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
You're a monkey.

You eat your shit and it's all fun and games to you.

Reply #82 Posted: January 05, 2013, 06:30:31 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/7/3849284/piston-valve-steam-box-xi3

Ugly looking little prototype, but just one of many from the sound of it, and sounds like they may be upgradable

Reply #83 Posted: January 09, 2013, 11:24:43 am
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: dirtyape;1513962
http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/7/3849284/piston-valve-steam-box-xi3

Ugly looking little prototype, but just one of many from the sound of it, and sounds like they may be upgradable

If it is upgradeable then it would be quite awesome.

Also - Ugly?

I think it looks quite sleek and cute....

Reply #84 Posted: January 09, 2013, 11:32:21 am

Pretty expensive. Starting at US$500

Will have to wait to see what all the specs are.
http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/news/1019661.20130108.Valve-backed-third-party-Steam-Box-unveiled-at-CES/

Reply #85 Posted: January 09, 2013, 11:44:46 am

Offline Pyromanik

Fast

Reply #86 Posted: January 09, 2013, 05:47:50 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Agreed.

Looks terribad.

Hopefully because of its modular support, people might release different boxes for it.

Reply #87 Posted: January 09, 2013, 07:23:42 pm

Quote from: Retardobot;1514043
Agreed.

Looks terribad.

Hopefully because of its modular support, people might release different boxes for it.

Yeah, like some kind of standard form factor, they could call it ATX.

Reply #88 Posted: January 09, 2013, 07:57:12 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Facetious monkey.

Reminds me of a jerry-can.

Reply #89 Posted: January 09, 2013, 10:01:11 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Looks like a futuristic powercell to me.
Like the HEV batteries in Half-Life.

Reply #90 Posted: January 09, 2013, 10:37:43 pm

Power at 50%

Reply #91 Posted: January 10, 2013, 08:05:14 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1514072
Power at 50%

Warning! Major fracture detected. Morphine Administered

Reply #92 Posted: January 10, 2013, 08:24:27 am

User Death Imminent.

Reply #93 Posted: January 10, 2013, 08:32:38 am

Offline oefox

• Devoted Member
  • oefox has no influence.
Actually I think it looks awesome but I think seriously they will release these with various iconic brands (think portal cubes) that will be awesome.

Reply #94 Posted: January 10, 2013, 12:56:36 pm
- badfox

How powerful can this be? I don't see any fans or heatsinks.

I can see it working as a media streamer and casual game thing.

Reply #95 Posted: January 10, 2013, 01:39:19 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
I think it's ugly, but it will probably just sit behind the TV so it's not like it matters.

The prototype is only 30watt so there isn't really a great deal you can do with that, but on the bright side it will be nice and quiet.

Valve said they are envisioning 3 main types of steambox: good, better, and best. So it sounds like there will be multiple steam boxes to match budgets. $999 was mentioned somewhere but not sure if that was good or best, I hope it's best. It's still too early to do anything but speculate, but if you want enthusiast level hardware then you will still have to build it yourself.

Reply #96 Posted: January 10, 2013, 02:44:22 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: Spacemonkey;1514089
How powerful can this be? I don't see any fans or heatsinks.

I can see it working as a media streamer and casual game thing.

What kind of games can I picture operating in this format?

2 words:
Big picture.

aka (also 2 words, so it works, fuckoff):
console ports.

Reply #97 Posted: January 11, 2013, 10:43:33 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
So they're calling it SteamOS now, an optimised gaming OS. I expect valve will flip the mid digit to MS and make HL3 a SteamOS exclusive to start with in order to promote it. Not sure how they are planning to stream older titles to the SteamOS frontend. Sounds good, about time someone made a dedicated gaming OS.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

Reply #98 Posted: September 26, 2013, 11:55:05 am

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
^ I like the look of that

Reply #99 Posted: September 26, 2013, 12:03:20 pm
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol