Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Zarathrustra;954180
Fair enough.  But again, it wouldn't be "not-irrational" to think you are any different.  It would simply be a mad assumption with no basis.

Your use of triple negatives is confusing my brain.

Reply #6900 Posted: June 30, 2009, 01:27:51 pm

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
  • Zarathrustra has no influence.
Lol, I was just over-hammering the point.  I'll stop.:chuckle:

Reply #6901 Posted: June 30, 2009, 01:30:25 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
My vague theory is that if a deterministic system is so complex that it is effectively impossible to mredict with 100% accuracy ( too much data required to be calculated) then it is indistingushable from a chaotic system.

IOW the iillusion of free will is so complete that it may as well be considered as such. If you could know every single variable (i.e the motion and state of every single particle that has had any effect, direct or indirect on your brain since the beginning of the universe) then you could predict peoples behaviour precisely.

The implications on the "meaning" of existence are irrelevant to this. Meaning is a purely subjective sentient construct. We seem to require "meaning" to exist, not the universe

Reply #6902 Posted: June 30, 2009, 01:36:25 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;954194
My vague theory is that if a deterministic system is so complex that it is effectively impossible to mredict with 100% accuracy ( too much data required to be calculated) then it is indistingushable from a chaotic system.

IOW the iillusion of free will is so complete that it may as well be considered as such. If you could know every single variable (i.e the motion and state of every single particle that has had any effect, direct or indirect on your brain since the beginning of the universe) then you could predict peoples behaviour precisely.

The implications on the "meaning" of existence are irrelevant to this. Meaning is a purely subjective sentient construct. We seem to require "meaning" to exist, not the universe

I wish the computer-made-of-meat in my head was organised enough to put it so succinctly.

Thanks, I agree.

Reply #6903 Posted: June 30, 2009, 01:46:49 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I still don't think that you can consider your thinking to be rational or logical in a deterministic system.
If everything, even our thoughts, is predetermined. Then your thoughts are no more rational then mine.

Coming up with theories or conclusions in pointless as you have no ability to rationalize them, no more so then anyone else.
The only way I can trust anything you say is that if I believe both you and I have free will.

Reply #6904 Posted: June 30, 2009, 01:55:32 pm

Quote from: Zarathrustra;954163

I have (for lack of a better word) 'decided' that that is not so much a fact, but the only "not-irrational" way of looking at it... but not by choice. All the information (input) my mind has been influenced by, including that which it itself has created, shows no reason for it not to be a fact.  Sure, the experience of my own consciousness should well lead my mind to believe the opposite as fact; the old "I think therefore I am" adage, but other input my mind has had, created, and processed over my lifetime has lead it/me to question what most see as obvious, and not see it as the paradox it appears to be from the outside.. or should I say, "the inside".

Which 'other' inputs do you mean? Do you mean what to see, hear and taste etc?

"I think therefore I am" is what is most obvious to me, my senses come secondary to that. What I see and hear, I have no evidence to trust what I see and hear is real.

Everything I learn about the universe, like the laws of physics, the way the brain works etc, ultimately comes through my senses. And I don't trust them as much as as the obvious "I think therefore I am", which is the only thing I truly can trust.

Reply #6905 Posted: June 30, 2009, 02:07:29 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
If you were brought up different, or your brain was constructed alittle differently, you would think differently.

And since you make decisions with your brain, then what you are thinking right now is determined by something outside of your control.

Reply #6906 Posted: June 30, 2009, 02:07:38 pm

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
Quote from: Spacemonkey;954201
I still don't think that you can consider your thinking to be rational or logical in a deterministic system.
If everything, even our thoughts, is predetermined. Then your thoughts are no more rational then mine.

Coming up with theories or conclusions in pointless as you have no ability to rationalize them, no more so then anyone else.
The only way I can trust anything you say is that if I believe both you and I have free will.
True, but the need for and the meaning of rationale and logic in a deterministic system are completely different than they would be in a system influenced by the random decision processes of conscientiousnesses  (so many esses) able to have a physical effect on the system itself.  

Our thoughts are no more rational than each others.  Trust in another individuals thoughts is nothing more than they way you perceive what they're saying, and the way you perceive the strength of their mind and the input it's had during it's existence.

Reply #6907 Posted: June 30, 2009, 02:12:35 pm

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
Quote from: Spacemonkey;954206
Which 'other' inputs do you mean? Do you mean what to see, hear and taste etc?

"I think therefore I am" is what is most obvious to me, my senses come secondary to that. What I see and hear, I have no evidence to trust what I see and hear is real.

Everything I learn about the universe, like the laws of physics, the way the brain works etc, ultimately comes through my senses. And I don't trust them as much as as the obvious "I think therefore I am", which is the only thing I truly can trust.
I mean everything.  Every input one of our senses gets changes the physical state of our brain in some way, shape, or form.  You may not trust everything you see and hear, which is a good thing, but the way in which your mind perceives that input still helps to build on the database in your head.  Any decision you make in life has nothing else to go on but what's in that database, and the physical state of what processes that information.

Reply #6908 Posted: June 30, 2009, 02:18:11 pm

Quote from: Zarathrustra;954210
True, but the need for and the meaning of rationale and logic in a deterministic system are completely different than they would be in a system influenced by the random decision processes of conscientiousnesses  (so many esses) able to have a physical effect on the system itself.  

Our thoughts are no more rational than each others.  Trust in another individuals thoughts is nothing more than they way you perceive what they're saying, and the way you perceive the strength of their mind and the input it's had during it's existence.

If what you're saying is true, then you have no choice how you think.

If not, then you have the free will to make decision that what you are saying is true. However that of course contradicts the actual reality.

Consider the case that everybody does has free will, then you are under an illusion that you do not. However in this scenario you can simply decide to change your mine.

What i'm saying, there is an advantage to make the decision to believe people have free will, there is nothing to lose in making this decision, as your either right, or are unable to make decision anyway. So it impossible to make the wrong decision.

In the case that what you are saying is true, then it really doesn't matter.

Reply #6909 Posted: June 30, 2009, 02:39:31 pm

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
Yeah, I understand what you're saying there.  I just can't bring myself to making a decision that my mind cannot comfortably accept.  Though, I am quite comfortable accepting that none of it matters. The only reason I (my mind) even bother(ed) discussing it (like I even had a choice) is because I (it) get(s) a bit of stimulation out of it, as an exercise.

It really is quite the paradox I suppose.

Reply #6910 Posted: June 30, 2009, 02:46:51 pm

yeah.

I do like your viewpoint though.

Take for example a question, 'should people be responsible for their actions?'

That answer is quite simple, it's either yes, or it doesn't matter.
Because in a deterministic system, it's not possible to make a decision to not hold someone responsible for their actions, as the 'decision' of the Judge or Jury as also determined.

I'm happy with either way being a possibility, and in the end, the outcome is the same, people will still live their lives the same way.

Reply #6911 Posted: June 30, 2009, 03:41:27 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: Bell;954207
If you were brought up different, or your brain was constructed alittle differently, you would think differently.

And since you make decisions with your brain, then what you are thinking right now is determined by something outside of your control.

This made me go cross-eyed :D

The idea of free will is intriguing - it amazes me that, all factual evidence or spiritual ideas aside, we all still feel like we exercise free will, whether we do or not. Almost like some kind of heuristic (I think thats the term) or something.

Reply #6912 Posted: June 30, 2009, 04:58:40 pm

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
Take for example a question, 'should people be responsible for their actions?'

Yeah, that's where it gets a bit tricky.  I really do think that everyone is essentially a victim (or benefactor) or their own mind and environment, but society just wouldn't work if we took that stance where responsibility for our actions is concerned.

Individuals still have the knowledge that actions have consequences as part of the "database" in their heads.  And other individuals need to enforce those consequences for them to exist.  It's as if man made laws are no different to natural laws, and because those enforcing them would equally lack the responsibility for the action of punishment, it kind of all works out in the end.  

So yeah, it does kind of works both ways regardless. Interesting.

Reply #6913 Posted: June 30, 2009, 05:00:22 pm

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;954273

The idea of free will is intriguing - it amazes me that, all factual evidence or spiritual ideas aside, we all still feel like we exercise free will, whether we do or not. Almost like some kind of heuristic (I think thats the term) or something.

Maybe it's tool evolution provided us with (in a roundabout sort of way).  Without that feeling, the other "urges" we all have that keep us alive as a species, and perhaps keeps all life moving forward, wouldn't matter much to us at all, and we'd just give up.

Sneaky old evolution.

Reply #6914 Posted: June 30, 2009, 05:05:10 pm

Offline TeamWang

• Just settled in
  • TeamWang has no influence.
Quote from: Tiwaking!;954165
For good reason (see below)

...and I would contend that it is easier to make rational decisions if you DO have free will!

Why? Because whatever decision you make becomes the basis for further action/decision making. Even if you were to have complete randomness, you can still create a semblance of order by following some strict rules.

HOWEVER: In the event that you DONT have free will then everything you do is pre-ordained and therefore nothing you do actually matters[1] UNLESS you have some form of creator who falls outside of the wheel of karma/dharma[2] .... who falls prey to the 'creations are my slaves!' argument I put forth earlier

~No gods, no masters
No kings nor their court jesters~

If you don't have free will and use a decision you made previously to inform further decisions. Then you made those particular prior decisions because you were pre-ordained to decide them and subsequently pre-ordained to use them.

Accumulated experience isn't free will.

Reply #6915 Posted: June 30, 2009, 05:32:31 pm

Offline TeamWang

• Just settled in
  • TeamWang has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;954273

I think we need to define what free will is precisely. We may or may not be deterministic, but we are still conscious and our particular feelings of control are integral to our determinism (if we are deterministic).

Reply #6916 Posted: June 30, 2009, 05:48:48 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Has anybody considered that this issue may not be black and white?

Reply #6917 Posted: June 30, 2009, 06:12:06 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted

Reply #6918 Posted: June 30, 2009, 07:04:59 pm

Quote from: Arnifix;954295
Has anybody considered that this issue may not be black and white?

I always thought it was purple, with pink dots.

Reply #6919 Posted: July 01, 2009, 08:13:09 am

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Further to the origin of life aspect of this thread (interests me more than Free Will, personally):

Nitrates, Lightning Key to Life at Early Earth

First Direct Evidence Of Lightning On Mars Detected

Interesting.

Reply #6920 Posted: July 02, 2009, 07:56:53 am
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
The Jesus Police

CHURCH POSITION
“In that region there were shepherds living in the fields, keeping watch over the flock by night.” (Luke 2:8)....

THE REALITY
We celebrate the birth of Jesus – Christmas – on December 25, but what evidence is there that Jesus was born on that day? None! One thing we can be sure of, though, is that he most likely wasn’t born in December since the Gospel of Luke tell us that shepherds were tending their sheep in the fields when he was born. In Israel at that time, shepherds stayed outside from approximately June until November.

There is much more. Worth taking the time (if you have it) to peruse the website.

Also:  religious tolerance

Reply #6921 Posted: July 02, 2009, 02:03:07 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Did a historical Jesus exist?

All four gospels are anonymous texts. The familiar attributions of the Gospels to Matthew, Mark, Luke and John come from the mid-second century and later and we have no good historical reason to accept these attributions.

-Steve Mason, professor of classics, history and religious studies at York University in Toronto (Bible Review, Feb. 2000, p. 36)

It is said that the last recourse of the Bible apologist is to fall back upon allegory. After all, when confronted with the many hundreds of biblical problems, allegory permits one to interpret anything however one might please.

-Gene Kasmar, Minnesota Atheists

Jesus is a mythical figure in the tradition of pagan mythology and almost nothing in all of ancient literature would lead one to believe otherwise. Anyone wanting to believe Jesus lived and walked as a real live human being must do so despite the evidence, not because of it.

-C. Dennis McKinsey, Bible critic (The Encyclopedia of Biblical Errancy)

I could go on, but you get the message!

Reply #6922 Posted: July 03, 2009, 01:49:00 pm

I can use the Quote button too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_myth_theory
Richard Burridge and Graham Gould state that the questioning of Jesus' existence is not accepted by mainstream critical scholarship. Robert E. Van Voorst has stated that biblical scholars and historians regard the Jesus never existed thesis as "effectively refuted". Graham N. Stanton writes, "Today nearly all historians, whether Christians or not, accept that Jesus existed and that the gospels contain plenty of valuable evidence which has to be weighed and assessed critically. There is general agreement that, with the possible exception of Paul, we know far more about Jesus of Nazareth than about any first- or second century Jewish or pagan religious teacher." James Charlesworth writes "No reputable scholar today questions that a Jew named Jesus son of Joseph lived; most readily admit that we now know a considerable amount about his actions and basic teachings ..." Michael Grant believes that the Christ myth theory fails to satisfy modern critical methodology, and is rejected by all but a few modern scholars

Reply #6923 Posted: July 03, 2009, 02:24:08 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
In that case, my 'source' in the Religious Studies Department is one of those who contests the historicity of Jesus.

The nearest contender, in his opinion, is Yeshua Ben Joseph, the leader of the Essenes. Everything else is mythology, appropriation and hearsay...not really much to base a religion on, wouldn't you say?

That page shows just how bad Wiki can be as a source and that it doesn't stand alone and should be backed up by other, more reputable sources, if you want an honest opinion.

I mean:

"No reputable scholar today questions that a Jew named Jesus son of Joseph lived; most readily admit that we now know a considerable amount about his actions and basic teachings ..."
is fundamentally flawed.

There are plenty of reputable scholars who would disagree heartily with that!

Reply #6924 Posted: July 03, 2009, 02:35:46 pm