Topic: Studying Computer Programming

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I'm like the Anti-Tiwa. I love C# too, nice to read, and lots of cool things like linq and lambda statements.

Plus Visual Studio is second to none. I've used a few other IDE's, but nothing comes close to the features that Visual Studio has. Also everything is well documented.
Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 08:42:18 am by Spacemonkey

Reply #100 Posted: October 10, 2012, 08:12:51 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Programming is still powered by Black Magic and Sorcery....

Reply #101 Posted: October 10, 2012, 09:37:50 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1505214
Programming is still powered by Black Magic and Sorcery....

That what I keep telling my Boss when customers find bugs.

It's not my fault, a wizard did it.

Reply #102 Posted: October 10, 2012, 09:40:41 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
And little gremlins sneek in at night and Remove lines of Code that you put there yesterday.....

Reply #103 Posted: October 10, 2012, 09:44:51 am

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1505216
And little gremlins sneek in at night and Remove lines of Code that you put there yesterday.....
This, many times over.

Reply #104 Posted: October 10, 2012, 01:04:06 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
Or your program starts doing things that it's not coded to do, then develops a mind of its own and starts shutting down other programs ...

Reply #105 Posted: October 10, 2012, 01:10:40 pm
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Quote from: Craigorsarus;1505228
Or your program starts doing things that it's not coded to do, then develops a mind of its own and starts shutting down other programs ...

The last time that happend to me, my program hacked into the US missle defence system and started World War 3.

Then it built robots and destroyed humanity.

Fortunately a member of the human resistance traveled back in time to before I was born and killed my Grandfather, thus preventing me from writing the program.

Reply #106 Posted: October 10, 2012, 01:36:30 pm

Offline oefox

• Devoted Member
  • oefox has no influence.
How many people commenting here are actual developers in paid employment?

Here's my wisdom:
- do the BSc.compsci
- choose relevant papers that you actually want to do in addition to the mandatory ones
- avoid mathematical papers that you will struggle with as they don't offer much usable knowledge imo
- do logic and reasoning papers and other philosophical ones that may pique your interests, they are excellent and do wonders for both your thinking and reasoning - the reasoning is invaluable when you have team meetings, in fact I think, I think these papers were my favourite papers after programming languages
- don't skip Friday afternoon lectures

I did a 3 year BSc.compsci, my IT friends did 4 year BCMS degrees (Computing and Mathematical Science), I literally got a job 2 weeks after finishing university (and before I even got my degree) and got a whole year head start on my friends. I'm a senior developer at MSD atm (in case anyone else here is in MSD and is wondering).

TLDR; once you get into IT your education is rather moot, it all becomes connections and work history, at least that's the way it is here.

Also, whether you want to do Java, C++/C#, Ruby it doesn't really matter til your 3rd year by which point you'll kind of have a better understanding.

Reply #107 Posted: October 10, 2012, 01:39:39 pm
- badfox

Offline Oddball

• Devoted Member
  • Oddball has no influence.
Cheers oefox, good info there

I'm still considering things, and I don't think that I'll be going in next intake because it wont give me enough time to think it over, so unless I come to a decision quicker than I expect... well we'll see.

I was chatting to a friend of mine last night and he urged me to try doing another area of 3D before I pack it up. I'm thinking about that too but not really sure if I can stand it... hah.

The good thing here is that I have options.

Reply #108 Posted: October 10, 2012, 02:02:04 pm
A testament to my ICONZ Legacy: http://i.imgur.com/z1qGsZ3.png
Retired warden of the getsome concentration camp for stupid people.

1. QA logs issue
2. I do nothing, mark issue as fixed and send back to QA.
3. QA passes it

Win!

Reply #109 Posted: October 10, 2012, 02:09:37 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1505241
1. QA logs issue
2. I do nothing, mark issue as fixed and send back to QA.
3. QA passes it

Win!

You sound like the typical IT department.

Someone logs issue, IT department emails owner of issue attemping to poorly explain BS AKA blaming it on someone else, closes issues as solved...

Reply #110 Posted: October 10, 2012, 02:18:33 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Sounds right to me.

Was helping sort a computer that ran a large automated machine.
I re-installed winDOHs 98, drivers and software but the problem persisted.
IT guy said we should 'try washing the disk in soapy water' then closed the ticket... Nice work. Facepalm.

Reply #111 Posted: October 10, 2012, 02:32:26 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
As a Professional Helpdesk person its not quite true:

Person Logs issue
Send response telling them to log off, restart and log back on
Doesn't fix issue
Tell them its a known bug with (insert Vendor here) and we have raised the issue to them (we haven't)
Person then thinks its going to be fixed by an update and forgets about it
We close the case advising them we haven't heard any more reports from them about the issue.
Person claims they are still having the issue
We advise them to log a new issue
Start from the beggining again.

Reply #112 Posted: October 10, 2012, 02:36:10 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Have you tried turning it on and off again?

Reply #113 Posted: October 10, 2012, 02:37:11 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: oefox;1505235
- avoid mathematical papers that you will struggle with as they don't offer much usable knowledge imo

maximum respect here oefox, but I disagree with this 1 point (rest are valid).

Knowing how to solve an nxn matrix in almost n calculations is usable, knowing how to solve a differential equation (even 2nd order) using only linear algebra is useable.

Reply #114 Posted: October 10, 2012, 02:49:39 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
import calculus.jar

Problem solved.

Reply #115 Posted: October 10, 2012, 04:44:02 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
using mattnz.dll

Problem solved.

Reply #116 Posted: October 10, 2012, 06:53:09 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Basically if you don't know the maths, your job isn't important enough to need it, and you are paid accordingly.

....Or you're too important to need to know it, and you are paid accordingly. haha.

Reply #117 Posted: October 10, 2012, 07:53:38 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: oefox;1505235
How many people commenting here are actual developers in paid employment?

About 4 by my count, most can't be fucked giving oddball serious advice because he has a past history of completely rejecting all advice given to him.
Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 08:03:25 pm by Bell

Reply #118 Posted: October 10, 2012, 07:57:26 pm

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1505287
Basically if you don't know the maths, your job isn't important enough to need it, and you are paid accordingly.

....Or you're too important to need to know it, and you are paid accordingly. haha.

Yeah, in all seriousness, unless you want a future of developing enterprise software, maybe you don't need so much maths or physics.

If you want to develop anything that I would consider cool (games, simulations etc.), you're going to need to know the maths (well not just maths, algebra and probably calculus) and how to apply it.

Reply #119 Posted: October 10, 2012, 08:02:07 pm

Offline AintNoMeInTeam

• Devoted Member
  • AintNoMeInTeam has no influence.
I am currently employed as a software developer - about 2 years into my current job (first one out of uni).

Background: Before I did computer science, i did a psychology degree, which ended up being basically a waste of time. After psych I did a 1 year Graduate Diploma in CompSci from UoA - my math was abit rusty and some papers can be tough to get started on (e.g. 3d graphics with matrix transformations, etc) but once you get up to speed, they arent too hard, but you will need to study.

Moving from a compsci degree into the software industry I have realised that in compsci, they teach you how to code, but they dont teach you how to make software. Working in a team to deliver a product requires a whole new skill-set that compsci doesnt teach you.

As for using my compsci degree in my day to day work, I wouldnt say that that I use my computer science skills very much. I have yet to need to analyze any algorithms or anything of that nature. In fact, I work with afew people who don't have compsci degrees, and it doesnt have any effect whatsoever.

Basically, a compsci degree/any other programming qualification helps get your foot in the door, but once you are in, then it doesnt really matter.

Reply #120 Posted: October 10, 2012, 08:54:29 pm
Nobody will ever win the battle of the sexes...there\'s too much fraternizing with the enemy.
-Henry Kissinger

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
So same as any degree that doesn't deal with people.

Also, statement on delivery so so so true.
Most especially when someone asks you "how long would it take for you to..."
Analasys and design is handy... but only carries you so far. Need industry experience in a team of people that foster such skills.

Reply #121 Posted: October 10, 2012, 09:30:35 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline mattnz

Well I guess by the time you finish engineering you would have done a reasonable amount of practical work.

Reply #122 Posted: October 10, 2012, 09:57:36 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
You're supposed to have, yes. That of course depends on how good you are at working practically.

And how well your workplace fosters such activity & teamwork.

Reply #123 Posted: October 10, 2012, 10:03:37 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: mattnz;1505304
Well I guess by the time you finish engineering you would have done a reasonable amount of practical work.

900 hours in the real world with UC.

Unfortunatly I'll have to leave my current part time job too which will be a bit shit, but if anyone has anything in chch I'd be really keen.

pyro, what did you study at canty?

Reply #124 Posted: October 10, 2012, 10:33:04 pm