Topic: Ultrabooks.

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Looking at getting an Ultrabook. Love the size/weight of the Ultrabooks and looking for something portable.

My main considerations are 1) Build quality 2) Track-pad/keyboard 3) Screen res.

After some looking and playing and reading I'm narrowing it down a bit but would enjoy some feedback from the people. A few ideas I'm throwing around....

http://www.apple.com/nz/macbook-pro/

I know I know... but its built very well and has a fairly wicked screen resolution. However I'd end up running windows on it and then it becomes one of those things. But its a consideration none the less. Windows at an unreadable 2880x1800 is awesome looking.

http://www.samsung.com/nz/consumer/pc-peripherals/notebook-pc/high-performance/NP900X3D-A01AU  

Made from duralumin with a nice screen res and a backlit keyboard with thing is pretty nice. Very light and built like a boss.

http://zenbook.asus.com/zenbook/?c=ux42vs

Nice stuff from ASUS. Always brought ASUS laptops but I find it kinda ugly...

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/thinkpad/x-series/x1-carbon/  

Currently in the lead in terms of what I am after. At this point looking like the best option.

Anybody wanna throw anything in here? There isn't exactly what I would call an abundance of options out there.
Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 11:23:53 am by swindle

Posted: April 13, 2013, 11:16:02 am
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
What are you going to use it for?

Have you done much research into running windows on a mac, a friend did it and it seemed quite problematic (i.e. finding something as simple as a USB driver took ages).

Reply #1 Posted: April 13, 2013, 11:34:01 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
My GF got the new sony at the start of the year, it's nice, windows 8 still gives her a bit of a hard time, I think once SP1 comes out it'll be much nicer to her.

Reply #2 Posted: April 13, 2013, 11:54:52 am
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
General day to day stuff. No games. Got my rig for that, and I'm over having to sit at my rig to browse the net, download, whatever.

Reply #3 Posted: April 13, 2013, 11:57:46 am
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Swindle I wouldn't recommend a MBP for just bootcamp, but in saying that, you might be surprised how similar the apps are in OSX now days anyway.

What sort of apps are you going to be running?

Bootcamp is great, i have very few issues with it on my MBP, but if there is a native OSX version of app (CS6 etc) i run it in OSX as it is faster. Games, certain camera control apps etc all go under bootcamp.

Reply #4 Posted: April 13, 2013, 11:59:57 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
If it's just for browsing etc, wouldn't a nice big tablet do the job for a fraction of the cost?

Reply #5 Posted: April 13, 2013, 12:01:04 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline swindle

Not really keen on a tablet. Am still interested in the Surface Pro, but don't like the idea of 10.1" screen size.

I've been using a Spectre XT at work for a few weeks now and I've fallen for the Ultrabook format.

Pretty sweet machine bar the shit shit shit res and low grade screen construction.

Reply #6 Posted: April 13, 2013, 12:16:53 pm

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
All those machines are great laptops, so you're pretty safe no matter which way you go.

Windows doesn't optimise battery life very well on macbooks - or at least this has been my experience. If you're going to buy one, I'd recommend getting comfortable with OSX (It isn't too bad for laptops tbh).

Otherwise, Lenovo quality is still the benchmark for Windows imo.

Also it's probably worth considering a Macbook Air if you're not doing anything too intense.

Reply #7 Posted: April 13, 2013, 05:45:18 pm

Offline swindle

Quote from: Tandoori;1523281
Otherwise, Lenovo quality is still the benchmark for Windows imo.

Also it's probably worth considering a Macbook Air if you're not doing anything too intense.

Lenovo make some seriously nice machines. Been perving at the range the offer. Its nice, I just with they had a showroom somewhere?

Also the MBA is so fucking ugly imo. Bezel for weeks.

Reply #8 Posted: April 13, 2013, 06:29:55 pm

Codex

I'd get a MBP and just run mac os x personally, it's pretty good despite all the people who cry about it here.

Reply #9 Posted: April 13, 2013, 06:55:10 pm

Offline swindle

I'm having a hard time passing the screen on the MBP.

Honestly, it has me by the balls.

Reply #10 Posted: April 13, 2013, 11:18:47 pm

Codex

Get it

I would

Reply #11 Posted: April 14, 2013, 02:39:43 am

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
MBP disgusting pigs.

Reply #12 Posted: April 14, 2013, 10:02:01 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Don't buy a MBP just for the resolution. It doesn't actually run at 2560x1600.

You can push it up to 1680x1050, but anything further you need another app.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/macbook-pro-retina-display-faq/macbook-pro-retina-display-hack-to-run-native-resolution.html

I installed Windows with bootcamp on mine. Ran it at 2560x1600, couldn't read a damn thing on the screen. Ended up putting it at 1920x1080 and even that was small.

I have the 128GB version. That is not enough space to run Win7 + OSX. So I just ended up running OSX.

No problems as of yet, installed Chrome, Word, and a few other bits n pieces. Does the job perfectly.

Reply #13 Posted: April 14, 2013, 01:36:56 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline 5loth

• Addicted
  • 5loth has no influence.
I've got a Samsung Series 9 Ultrabook, but if I was buying one again now I'd go for a Lenovo X1 Carbon.

Reply #14 Posted: April 14, 2013, 08:16:02 pm
sila.

Offline swindle

Why is that?

Reply #15 Posted: April 14, 2013, 08:18:26 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: swindle;1523325
Why is that?

just look at it! it's gorgeous!

Reply #16 Posted: April 14, 2013, 10:12:39 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
Build quality of Lenovo's is pro.

Reply #17 Posted: April 14, 2013, 10:22:19 pm

Offline O-L-W-A-G

• Addicted
  • O-L-W-A-G has no influence.
Try this on a MBP with windows on it: windows.microsoft.com/en-nz/windows7/make-the-text-on-your-screen-larger-or-smaller

Reply #18 Posted: April 14, 2013, 10:32:30 pm

Offline swindle

Quote from: mycoolcar;1523334
Build quality of Lenovo's is pro.

Yeap.

Except the screen.

Reply #19 Posted: April 15, 2013, 09:43:35 am

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: swindle;1523367
Yeap.

Except the screen.
Agreed. But there is a compromise somewhere along the line.

BTW, MBP Retina screens are a pain. They are glossy which means they are like mirrors. Real pain when you are using facing a light source. Oh the another thing that is annoying about them, is the lack of a delete, end and home key, never thought I'd miss them as much as I do.

Reply #20 Posted: April 15, 2013, 10:21:36 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline swindle

I really wish I could play with the Carbon X1.

Very uncomfortable about spending that much on a lappy without playing first.

Reply #21 Posted: April 15, 2013, 10:58:10 am

Offline swindle

The retina is a pretty cool guy.

Reply #22 Posted: April 17, 2013, 02:41:49 pm

Offline Xenolightning

That he is. I must say; I do use my MBPr EVERY DAY, it's the perfect lying in bed, browsing ONFREE, and consuming the media on my file server.

Perfect compromise when I CBF playing shit through my entertainment system.

EDIT: Also, I don't feel bad when I jizz all over it, because it is just an Apple after all.

Also, dem logitech harmony remotes <3

Reply #23 Posted: April 17, 2013, 03:08:54 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline swindle

Had it for 2 days now, and used it a shitload.

Nexflix is pretty cool, streams pretty well via my 5GHz. I must say, the speakers are impressive considering the size and all.

This MBPr is like the most awesomely overkill net browsing and note taking machine. Fucking love the keyboard and trackpad. A few features that OS X has that I must admit I rather enjoy. Never will I sell my windows 7 gaming rig, but as a laptop/portable this is one hard machine to beat.

Reply #24 Posted: April 17, 2013, 03:30:11 pm