Topic: Christchurch Earthquake

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Yeah, Havok has answers too, and since I'm going in to clean up work today, he will be available for your questions. By the way, he is AWESOME and knows what he is talking about.

I consider there no chance for the Lytellton Volcanic Complex to reactivate. There would have been other large magnitude quakes prehistorically and it didn't happen.

http://www.drquigs.com/

UPDATE ON CHRISTCHURCH EARTHQUAKE FOR PRESS AND PUBLIC (AS OF 9:00 am NZ time September 8th 2010): Why the aftershocks and when will they stop?

Mainshock was a Magnitude 7.1 earthquake with epicentre located ~44km WNW (273 degrees) of Christchurch near town of Kirwee. Epicenter based on field evidence ~12 km SSE of Darfield (43degrees34minutes45seconds S, 172d11m15s E).

University of Canterbury, GNS and Penn State scientists have identified the fault scarp in the field and have been making measurements of the fault displacement. Updates will appear here. Seismologists busy processing the constant stream of aftershocks. See GNS Geonet for aftershock data including magnitudes and approximate locations. The location data will improve with implementation of seismographs in the vicinity of the fault zone.

My take on the aftershocks is as follows:

1. Aftershocks are caused by slip on the sticky parts of the fault and the fault tips that did not rupture during the main earthquake. They may also occur in the broader area around the fault, as the surrounding rock mass adjusts to the main earthquake. It is also possible that some of these earthquakes may record slip on another fault, as large earthquakes such as our 7.1 are known to adjust the stress field in the crust and even trigger movement on other faults in the region. We know that other E-W trending faults are present throughout Canterbury, including offshore, so this is possible. I am going out with a field team shortly to attempt to get a better understanding of the geometry of the main fault and possible others beneath the surface.

2. Significant aftershocks such as the ones we have been feeling in our beds at night or walking around during the day are likely to continue for weeks to months. We will not get another Mw 7.1 earthquake on the same fault that generated this large earthquake as the main earthquake relieved most of the strain energy that had gradually built up on this fault over time. An aftershock as large as Mw 6 is possible. However, my optimistic guess is that we are unlikely to get an aftershock as big as a Mw 6. For instance, the largest aftershock following the 2010 Mw 7.0 Haiti earthquake was Mw 5.9 and occurred 8 days after the main earthquake. The largest aftershock following the 2010 Mw 7.2 northern Baja (Mexico) earthquake was a 5.7 and occurred 2 months after the main earthquake (Kevin Furlong, person commun). Interestingly, the Baja earthquake also had a cluster of three Mw>5 aftershocks within an hour, similar to what we experienced here on the terrible night of September 6th. I know this is distressing a lot of you but I am hopeful that these aftershocks might be the biggest we get. However, they may not be, and we could get a bigger one months from now.

3. Although there is some uncertainty in the location of the aftershocks, it seems to me that the biggest ones have been located at the tips of the fault, near Rolleston (east end) and Greendale (west end). This makes sense if the slip gradient (differences in amount of slip along the fault during the main earthquake) is high near the ends of the fault, as we have been seeing in our fault offset measurements. In this case, the worst aftershocks we are likely to feel in Christchurch are likely to be the ones associated with slip on the eastern tip of the fault and in the region east of the fault, although this will also depend on the ground conditions and other properties of the aftershock earthquake, such as the depth. A shalllow aftershock will feel more intense than a deep one. We recently felt one this morning (Wed Sept 8) that seemed quite intense. Geonet reveals that it was a Mw 5.1 within 5 km of Lyttelton at a depth of 6km. The reason it felt so intense here was because it was close and was shallow.

4. In general, both the magnitude and frequency of aftershocks will diminsh with time. So please try to remain as positive as possible - I know it is scary but a big part of the fear is your recollection of the shock you felt during the main earthquake

Reply #375 Posted: September 08, 2010, 09:45:17 am
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline Distorted

• Devoted Member
  • Distorted has no influence.
Grim, check your email. You're probably not going into work today. You're still at the Uni right?

Reply #376 Posted: September 08, 2010, 09:47:20 am
[23:46] <Hori> I\'d do gay for pay
[23:46] <Hori> if the pay was right

I think I would know where to sign on a sexual harrassment settlement, thank you[/CENTER]

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
ah yeah...just saw that...postponed for 24 hours...
Keep up the good work mate _b

Reply #377 Posted: September 08, 2010, 09:51:25 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Grim, hows the poo round you? if you need a place to shack up for a few days I will lend you a home.

Reply #378 Posted: September 08, 2010, 10:02:03 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline liquidpain

• Devoted Member
  • liquidpain has no influence.
Is it likely for another big one to strike? Greater than the initial 7.0m

Reply #379 Posted: September 08, 2010, 10:05:48 am

Offline Hav0k

• Just settled in
  • Hav0k is looked down upon.
No, the aftershocks you are currently experiencing is the surrounding bedrock and (potentially) other faults readjusting to the initial quake.

Reply #380 Posted: September 08, 2010, 10:12:02 am
\'There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but the view is always the same\'

Offline bitchimom

• Just settled in
  • bitchimom has no influence.
heh I was supposed to be having a meeting in at polytech at 10am... and we had planned to get the students back in tomorrow... neither of these things are happening now :001_huh:

Reply #381 Posted: September 08, 2010, 10:13:00 am
bitchimom: dirrrrrty girl racer

earthquake refugee since aaaages ago
http://www.rebuildshakeytown.blogspot.com

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Quote from: Growler;1307737
Grim, hows the poo round you? if you need a place to shack up for a few days I will lend you a home.

Cheers mate...yeah, we're o.k. at the moment...no visible signs...I fear it was the pooh ponds being disturbed...rustling up that old scent!

Take care in Rollytown!

Reply #382 Posted: September 08, 2010, 11:20:42 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
If anyone needs help with cleaning up, bircks etc or removing a chimney please let me know. I am more than happy to lend a hand where needed.

Mr Duck if your circumstances change, please call me on cell (number in rep) and I will gladly open the door for you.

Reply #383 Posted: September 08, 2010, 11:55:40 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Growler;1307775
If anyone needs help with cleaning up, bircks etc or removing a chimney please let me know. I am more than happy to lend a hand where needed.

likewise. PM for contact details

Reply #384 Posted: September 08, 2010, 12:01:10 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
They've cancelled work on me, so I am also free if muscle is needed somewhere

Reply #385 Posted: September 08, 2010, 12:05:31 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline Obbles

• Obbles has no influence.
FML I have to work :(

Reply #386 Posted: September 08, 2010, 12:54:03 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Quote from: Growler;1307775

Ditto that here too...until I'm called in I'm at 'a loose end'. Just PM me if needed.

Cheers Growler...what's your wine cupboard like? ;)

It's times like this where we can pool together and help others out and restore some faith in human nature :)

Reply #387 Posted: September 08, 2010, 12:59:47 pm

Offline Hav0k

• Just settled in
  • Hav0k is looked down upon.
I'm sure some local micro breweries need a hand cleaning up...

Reply #388 Posted: September 08, 2010, 01:01:04 pm
\'There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but the view is always the same\'

Offline xpertz

• Addicted
  • xpertz has no influence.
Good to see all you guys showing support to one another. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside :)

Reply #389 Posted: September 08, 2010, 01:02:55 pm
<on3.co.nz | CS 1.6 TOURNAMENT #1>EAC
[EAC] HcN.skytech :: This server requires the use of 32bit colour
HcN.skytech dropped
HcN.skytech has left the game

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
  • ChineseKiwi has no influence.
F'n 5.1 woke me up. Went back to sleep :P

Reply #390 Posted: September 08, 2010, 01:04:52 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
How's your neighbourhood CK? Anyone need assistance?

Reply #391 Posted: September 08, 2010, 01:05:51 pm

Codex

around my streets near perfect still o-o glad I live here now lol

Reply #392 Posted: September 08, 2010, 01:06:37 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;1307808

I don't think anyone in Christchurch really cares for audio assistance or how to provide Wiki links right now.

Reply #393 Posted: September 08, 2010, 01:08:36 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Codex;1307809
around my streets near perfect still o-o glad I live here now lol

as is mine.

Reply #394 Posted: September 08, 2010, 01:08:50 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Obbles

• Obbles has no influence.
My lawns need a mow please

Ill give you a beer

Reply #395 Posted: September 08, 2010, 01:13:48 pm

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;1307808

Just woke up. I'll check up on others. My chimney's pretty cracked and nearly going. At least bot's living up to his name atm. No cherry pickers in Chch basically. Booked out for weeks. Would like some help. Got ladders but dunno how tall they are.

Reply #396 Posted: September 08, 2010, 01:16:42 pm

Codex

Just do what my mate did at his house:

Reply #397 Posted: September 08, 2010, 01:20:59 pm

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
Will that hold up?

Reply #398 Posted: September 08, 2010, 01:22:39 pm

Codex

Held up so far lol

Reply #399 Posted: September 08, 2010, 01:23:10 pm