Topic: Head on collisions hurt.

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
So this happened on Friday arvo..

Open road head on collision, caused by a french tourist (silver car) driving on the wrong side of the road. Luckily at around 80km rather than 100km because of twisty bits. Everyone walked away amazingly, my dad (driving the Surf) got away with scratches and some minor bruising, mum got heavier bruising, and being in the back with no airbag I copped it the worst. Pretty amazing bruising and possibly a broken rib (xray didnt show anything obvious but apparently that's not uncommon.. hurts like a cunt either way) Frenchie broke his arm, and his wife banged up her knee. Dad had time to swear, move his foot towards the brake (we know this only because the accelerator is pushed up and pinned under the dash and if his foot was on it he'd have been trapped/broken), and we think both parties started to swerve as the collision wasn't quite full head on in the end as you can see. Cars started to spin but our back end hit the wall and stopped it. Truly scary shit.

I vaguely look like someone kicked the shit out of me, seat belts do save lives but they don't fucking tell you how much it hurts you when you go from 80km to a complete stop like that. Deep breaths hurt, laughing hurts, coughing hurts, sneezing hurts, moving the wrong way hurts.. you get the idea :-)  Still I'm remarkably glad to be alive and posting this, sadly luck didn't carry over to Saturday nights lotto draw.

Attached pics show the gouges in the road from their car's front suspension bottoming out at point of impact (bout 8-10 inches long and 5-6cm deep), being the heavier vehicle we shunted them back 1-2 meters from the impact point.

Also a pic showing a couple of the service vehicles (we ended up with 1 cop car, 1 rural fire van, 2 fire engines and 2 ambulances)

And a couple from the tow yard showing the crumpling around the drivers seat and the accelerator pedal mushed up into the dash.

Posted: December 22, 2014, 11:21:39 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
That road looks incredibly narrow. Where was this crash?! Did anyone else hit the two cars?

Glad to see the air bags deployed and no one was killed
Not glad to see the reason why they were

Reply #1 Posted: December 22, 2014, 11:47:32 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
That road looks incredibly narrow. Where was this crash?! Did anyone else hit the two cars?

Glad to see the air bags deployed and no one was killed
Not glad to see the reason why they were

Here

Nah once we were out we started waving people down so they didn't slam into them.
Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 12:03:04 am by Lias

Reply #2 Posted: December 22, 2014, 11:58:29 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
That's nasty. Glad you're mostly ok.

Reply #3 Posted: December 23, 2014, 05:21:57 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Yeah, Car accidents hurt.

Good to see everyone walking away (or limping as the case may be)

What would this Forum be without Lias?

Reply #4 Posted: December 23, 2014, 07:24:37 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
You must have a wicked bruise from the seatbelt.

Pics please.

Reply #5 Posted: December 23, 2014, 07:27:41 am

Bro

You got a flat tyre.

Reply #6 Posted: December 23, 2014, 07:29:56 am

Offline 420fairy

• Mother Of Dragons

• 420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!
Shit Lias glad to hear though injured that you all came through this ok.

Reply #7 Posted: December 23, 2014, 08:23:40 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Wholey hell, that's a scary thing.
I've heard that bruised ribs hurt just as much if not more than a broken one, so hopefully that's all it is.

But yeh, whiplash hurts alright, but better that than the alternative. Glad to hear you had your belt on, even though you were in the back! Scary how many people don't :<

Tip: get your neck (& back) checked on. Whiplash can do some sneaky stuff that only comes out later in terms of pain & headaches. Be it muscular or otherwise.

Glad to hear the marvels of modern safety equipment in vehicles!

Reply #8 Posted: December 23, 2014, 08:42:44 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
Tip: get your neck (& back) checked on. Whiplash can do some sneaky stuff that only comes out later in terms of pain & headaches. Be it muscular or otherwise.

2nd'd. Mum & Dad were in an accident a few months back, Dad's neck is fine (and didn't have any issues at all), Mum's still having issues from whiplash in her neck and has spent a fair amount of time with a physio to try and get it sorted.

Glad to hear you're okish. I always find it incredible how much metal bends in car accidents. Maybe those tourists will decide to finish their holiday on a bus :)

Reply #9 Posted: December 23, 2014, 09:23:08 am

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!

3rd'd
Took me months to get my neck and shoulders sorted after some guy tried to kill me

Glad you're ok man.

Reply #10 Posted: December 23, 2014, 09:59:24 am
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline Lias

• Administrator

Pics please.

Have some bruised pasty white fat man :-)

Reply #11 Posted: December 23, 2014, 10:12:21 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
I always find it incredible how much metal bends in car accidents.

It's supposed to, crumple zones and all that. Greatly reduces the impact effect by the time the energy reaches the cockpit.
Amazing really if you look at the figures. What is effectively a 200Km/h impact becomes about 30Km/h by the time it reaches the driver. Or something like that. Google will probably have the correct stats, I'm sure.
That and airbags, much thankfuls for the saved lives.

PS.
One hell of a bruise alright Lias.
Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 11:00:21 am by Pyromanik

Reply #12 Posted: December 23, 2014, 10:57:57 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Gee buddy lucky!

Glad you're ok though man.

Reply #13 Posted: December 23, 2014, 12:02:50 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Lias

• Administrator
Also seeing as facebook liked it, bask in the awesome of my dad's beard.. totally puts mine to shame lol.

Reply #14 Posted: December 23, 2014, 12:30:35 pm

His beard would have absorbed most of the impact. It's epic.

Reply #15 Posted: December 23, 2014, 01:20:03 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!

Pics please.

Have some bruised pasty white fat man :-)

It was Tricky, but I eventually managed to fap to this

Reply #16 Posted: December 23, 2014, 03:19:30 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Also seeing as facebook liked it, bask in the awesome of my dad's beard.. totally puts mine to shame lol.
You will never be as cool as that

Reply #17 Posted: December 23, 2014, 03:33:01 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
Please don't get me wrong. I'm glad you're okay, and this is obviously a very serious situation which could of resulted in a very serious end.

But looking at that second image of bruising.

I can't help but see this.

I think I've been snapchatting craig too much

Blurred slightly to make it a bit less-gay for the straight peoples.

Spoiler :

Edit : I'm immature I know ;L
Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 05:34:50 pm by `Kayne

Reply #18 Posted: December 23, 2014, 05:33:13 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Lias

• Administrator
LOL sif wear seatbelt over arse like that :-P

Reply #19 Posted: December 23, 2014, 05:40:33 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
That's no bruise...

Reply #20 Posted: December 23, 2014, 05:43:55 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
Glad your all in one piece mate.

Reply #21 Posted: December 23, 2014, 10:31:42 pm

Offline Pyromanik

That's no bruise...

There's a tubboy these days?

dafuq.

Reply #22 Posted: December 24, 2014, 09:51:50 am

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
Ugh, It actually aggravates me to no end when I see accidents/road deaths caused by tourists.. what the fuck is it? are our roads that perilous compared to the rest of the world that as soon as a tourist touches down here they fucking wipe out and usually take people with them?? I'm of the opinion tourists from ANYWHERE I don't give a fuck where, should be given a test and be able to identify our road signs and conditions/country roads properly before being given the green light to drive on our roads.

I'm gonna hug the gravel this Christmas road trip, fuck staying anywhere near the centre line with cunts that don't know what side of the road they're supposed to be on or better yet, drive all over the show to 'lessen the windys' .........

Here are some of my tips for surviving tourist driving this year.

- Drive a massively shiney white car that can be seen at all times of the day/night from the moon in pitch black.
- Drive with lights on full beam constantly so that you can be seen at all times. HID lights that are so bright they burn the eye sockets of on-coming traffic are perfect.. if they can see you coming from ten thousand miles away, they'll stay the fuck away.
- Bull bars.
- Drive at 30Km an hour to ensure you don't get fucked up by an idiot driving a country road they've never driven on in the dark at 100km/h+
- Don't drive.

Stay safe, Kia kaha.

This could be a xpost for 'what grinds my gears'  ;)
Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 11:34:43 am by winter

Reply #23 Posted: December 24, 2014, 11:31:31 am

Offline Tiwaking!

I always find it incredible how much metal bends in car accidents.

It's supposed to, crumple zones and all that. Greatly reduces the impact effect by the time the energy reaches the cockpit.
Here is an incredible video demonstrating fifty years of innovation in car safety
1959 Chevrolet Bel Air vs. 2009 Chevrolet Malibu IIHS crash test

1959 Chevrolet Bel Air vs. 2009 Chevrolet Malibu IIHS crash test
I thought the 1959 car would completely survive such a crash, but the reality is pretty shocking.

Reply #24 Posted: December 25, 2014, 10:30:34 pm