19 (6.9%)
Shooting - FPS, 3rd person
56 (20.2%)
Mind - RTS, puzzle games
24 (8.7%)
Action - Martial arts and swordplay
17 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 314

Topic: What would YOU look for in a future game?

Offline Matt

• Addicted
  • Matt has no influence.
I consider Story to be a huge part of games these days

Reply #50 Posted: August 30, 2008, 05:12:57 pm
Quote from: Templar;966121
NOTICE: ICONZ Arena to close its doors.

Quote from: spongemaster001;966138
Oh well thats gay.
I worked so hard for my rep.

Offline nick247

• Addicted
  • nick247 has no influence.
Quote from: Zhija;786118
Oh wow, that's pretty impressive lol. What studio if you don't mind me asking? Also any tips for getting into the industry?

seriously dont get him started

its not even impressive, i refer to a very famous quote by me that saids
"a thousand monkeys at a thousand computers will eventually produce Half Life"

anyway back on topic after bells blatent self promotion............................

i would like to see a game where during the middle of an intense 32v32 tank/infantry/air support battle on a big well designed map i can stop for a second and go make some crops, and i have to water them, and pick the right ones to plant and then harvest them and take them to market-------------Harvest moon meets BF2 (harvest moon is one of my favorite games)

all while pwning noobs

Seriously though, replayability is the most important aspect of games and its also the one aspect that all historically famous games possess...........for inspiration you need to look at games like goldeneye, mario64, gta3 and any good multiplayer online game.

Alot of first person shooters struggle with this in that they are fun to play through once but once you have been through all the set pieces and you know how the story goes you really dont feel that keen to play it again, kinda like reading a mystery/murder detective book.

Goldeneye gave you an FPS that was based on relatively open environments, so you could go through the level doing it your way. Deus Ex is a good example of this type of system too, the levels feel soooooo cool and the level of interactivity and choice is excellent

Halo offered up good level design but also very good AI so the battles felt difficult and you feel like you achieved something when you kill a group of enemies.

and of course look no further than starcraft, insane game that defines what a strategy game should be all about.

Reply #51 Posted: August 30, 2008, 06:37:34 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: nick247;786221
i refer to a very famous quote by me that saids

"Those who can't, teach..."

Reply #52 Posted: August 30, 2008, 07:20:22 pm

Offline nick247

• Addicted
i cant teach either

Reply #53 Posted: August 30, 2008, 07:33:51 pm

Offline [tsw].Forsaken

• Just settled in
  • [tsw].Forsaken has no influence.
I have always wondered if it would be possible to have a strategy game such as World in Conflict that would allow you to switch to a FPS ina split second to the action going on on the ground....kinda like being a BF2 commander and then jsut selecting a unit and choosing to control it from 1st person....while the rest of the battlefield is controlled by the AI

THAT for me would be a good game of the future

Reply #54 Posted: September 01, 2008, 12:34:23 am

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Quote from: Chillipepper;785651
To be as real as they can make it. Simple really?

Quote from: mattnz;785665
There are parts of reality that aren't fun. Hence games.

Exactly, the best part of GTA is not that you can steal cars, pick up hookers and kill people, it's that you can steal a bike, go flying down a massive road, slam into a car head first then fly a couple of hundred metres then wrap your body around a pole, and the only punishment is losing a few hundred in game dollars.

Quote from: (oga).Forsaken;786889
I have always wondered if it would be possible to have a strategy game such as World in Conflict that would allow you to switch to a FPS ina split second to the action going on on the ground....kinda like being a BF2 commander and then jsut selecting a unit and choosing to control it from 1st person....while the rest of the battlefield is controlled by the AI

THAT for me would be a good game of the future

I have always thought this!

Also, it would be awesome if there was a singleplayer game where you start off as an unemployed teenager at any age (for example the 1500s or even the current day) and you have to do your best to get a job in any type of career, and either work your way to the top of that like you do in the sims, or you can branch off into the military of the day as a grunt, and you have to work your way to the top of the military.

This could even be a multiplayer game where there is one or more commanders just like BF2, and for them it is an RTS style game. For you it would be FPS, but more realistic where you have to stick with your squad and co-operate with other squads.

The commander would have to use resources from people who chose to go through all the types of career paths such as farming, excavation, etc. just as you would in a normal RTS, I guess there would have to be a whole group of 'commanders' to keep the team/ country/ what ever running, say a military commander, economical, etc.

The military commander would have to do a good job of managing the army, as if it was a multiplayer game then of course each person would of course have the choice to disobey their superiors order, even if they would get killed quickly.

I'm sure I have a far larger idea than this but I can't remember it all at the moment as I haven't thought about it for a while.

Pretty much just a combination - taking all the best parts from every game available; from BF2, Project Reality, to sims, cultures, age of empires, civilization, and many more.

Reply #55 Posted: September 01, 2008, 01:14:56 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
there's a game called savage that allows you to do that forsaken, I had the idea fucking years ago (sounds like most of us did) back when i played dune as a kid, unfortunately I didn't write it down, date it, sign it and show it to a lawyer...but that's ok cause savage did really average and I think its free now anyway...

Reply #56 Posted: September 01, 2008, 01:24:45 am
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline nick247

• Addicted
lol bounty i read your post like this

"there's a game called savage that allows you to do that to your foreskin, I had the idea fucking years ago (sounds like most of us did) back when i played dune as a kid, unfortunately I didn't write it down, date it, sign it and show it to a lawyer...but that's ok cause savage did really average and I think its free now anyway... "

can you see where i went wrong?

funny thing is i totally didnt bat an eyelid, i was like "i guess thats something bounty might write"

Reply #57 Posted: September 01, 2008, 01:56:08 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
There is also an old game called warzone 2100 that allowed you to play an RTS but jump into any of your units.
And also a recent game called battlestations midway that is similar.
And then there is also the Natural selection Mod for halflife 1 which was a FPS but the teams commander played the game like a RTS very similar to savage.

I'd love to see a mainstream game successfully pull that off, you pretty much just need to extend Battlefield2's commander to allow him to build upgrades and defensive structures.

Reply #58 Posted: September 01, 2008, 09:12:39 am

Codex

Quote from: Bell;786940
There is also an old game called warzone 2100 that allowed you to play an RTS but jump into any of your units.
And also a recent game called battlestations midway that is similar.
And then there is also the Natural selection Mod for halflife 1 which was a FPS but the teams commander played the game like a RTS very similar to savage.

I'd love to see a mainstream game successfully pull that off, you pretty much just need to extend Battlefield2's commander to allow him to build upgrades and defensive structures.

I have and fucking loved that game (warzone on ps1)

Reply #59 Posted: September 01, 2008, 09:49:07 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Yea its was pretty damn mint.
Way ahead of its time, the total customisation of units was wicked.

Reply #60 Posted: September 01, 2008, 10:41:22 am

Offline HunHunter

• Just settled in
  • HunHunter has no influence.
FoD bell... FoD

Reply #61 Posted: September 01, 2008, 10:47:43 am

Codex

Quote from: Bell;786993
Yea its was pretty damn mint.
Way ahead of its time, the total customisation of units was wicked.

Havn't seen anything like it since! Might have to crank it out tonight if im not stuck with my vcr :/ lol

I hated the last level, was such a drag :{(

Reply #62 Posted: September 01, 2008, 11:08:56 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: HunHunter;787003
FoD bell... FoD

*shakes fist at QW

one day HunHunter one day..

Reply #63 Posted: September 01, 2008, 12:43:05 pm

Offline Zhija

• Just settled in
  • Zhija has no influence.
Ah, I remember Savage... Savage 2 came out a while ago I think, or it is coming out... I thought it was pretty limited unfortunately, the RTS elements were severely cut by the multiplayer parts, with people able to choose units and the commander given limited control. I suppose you either sacrifice one or the other with a game like that though. I remember Command and Conquer ... Cant remember what it was called ... The FPS one, I thought would be pretty mint but it turned out to be pretty average.

Reply #64 Posted: September 01, 2008, 05:45:20 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Was called Renegade and yea it was crap IMO.

Reply #65 Posted: September 01, 2008, 07:03:20 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!

Wargasm did this also back in 1999. Dungeon Keeper 2 also did this to a limited extent
I'd love to see a mainstream game successfully pull that off

"Bladestorm: The Hundred Years War" is the most recent game to incorporate the "Unit possession" technique of gameplay. Unfortunately it is only one player and only on PS3 or Xbox360

Reply #66 Posted: September 01, 2008, 09:42:07 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
did wargasm do it? io remember playing the demo and thinking how cooler a game it was, it was miles ahead of its time but i never managed to get the full version...

Reply #67 Posted: September 01, 2008, 10:26:10 pm

Offline Danica

• Just settled in
  • Danica has no influence.
A few more female focused games.

I know, I know,,, it runs the risk of cross dressing males playing as women and that whole ugly arguement, but...

Reality is us chix have our faces in alot of places we didn't 10yrs ago. We get hurt, we get shot and we hurt others in the execution of our duties every day around the world as we speak. Whether society likes it or not, its still happening. Its time the games caught up.

I'm a combat soldier in the real world. I would like to see the same ingame. Mechwarrior had an intro vid which included female actors piloting machines in battle. Lets see it repeated in an FPS game. please

Or even better bring back the Mechwarrior and Heavy Gear series, only with a decent physics engine.

Also characterisation of your player and a decent story/plot/background to the gaime, thats ever evolving, is a must have.

Humour -  My brother used to play a Starwars Commando game and it had some bloody funny, realistic banter between the NPC sqaud mates during fire fights. It created atmosphere.

On the subject of atmosphere, F.E.A.R. was the best I've seen at creating that. It used to make me jump!

Reply #68 Posted: September 06, 2008, 10:53:17 pm
Ce que femme veut, Dieu le veut

Offline Zhija

• Just settled in
The female role in games is something that I see being introduced more and more lately, but mainly on consoles ie Heavenly Sword, SoulCalibur and such, but like you say its true there are rarely females in an FPS or even 3rd person shooters. There is probably quite a large market for that, and it will be interesting to see who picks up on it and creates something.

Reply #69 Posted: September 07, 2008, 12:04:55 am

Offline Danica

• Just settled in
  • Danica has no influence.
The issue is seeing a woman in pain and or inflicting said pain. Its a hot topic on promotion courses with respect to training and control under fire/during a contact.

Yet they don't really even include the option in Sim games where your shooting a machine and not a person direct. And its a proven fact, the female body is the ideal for a pilot. Bigger heart ( for pregnancy, higher pain threshold for the same reason) shorter distance from the heart to the head and generally a little stockier. This means less blood flow loss from the brain during high G moves resulting in overall higher G's being pulled.

And just think how good Jessica Biel looked piloting the Talon Fighter in stealth.

Reply #70 Posted: September 07, 2008, 12:17:52 am
Ce que femme veut, Dieu le veut

Offline Tosser

• Just settled in
  • Tosser has no influence.
Damn, seems us who wear the uniform are everywhere.

Reply #71 Posted: September 07, 2008, 12:23:22 am
"When Colditz was liberated by American forces, most of the inmates made their own way home immediately. Upham broke into a German armoury, helped himself to weaponry, and went out hunting Germans."

Offline Zhija

• Just settled in
I've found it. Star Wars: Battlefront 2, the sniper class for the Rebels was a female. The only example of this I can see anywhere actually :\.

Reply #72 Posted: September 07, 2008, 07:36:06 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
the character in that new dice game is a chick?

Reply #73 Posted: September 07, 2008, 10:03:22 am

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;787501
did wargasm do it? io remember playing the demo and thinking how cooler a game it was, it was miles ahead of its time but i never managed to get the full version...

The problem was Wargasm was too far ahead of its time. It took 8 years for RTS games to get a decent interface system and 15 years on games STILL have crippled GUI. With Wargasm the ability to take first-person control of any unit in the game was both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because it gave a player a totally and, still to this day, unique way of interacting with a game. A curse because it highlighted the poor A.I and interface. Even though I consider it good, I would not play it again. Its like playing Warcraft: Orcs vs Humans after playing Age of Empires 2
Quote from: Danica;790233
A few more female focused games

The problem is the gaming industry, like the movie industry, makets to the biggest audience: Teenage boys. Sure you can say that most programmers are male and hence the male bent for games but the creator of Centipede, Dona Bailey, is a legend in the gaming world.

The other problem is that the gaming industry has zero historical experience in dealing with or marketing a game to females. Dont believe me? Check out all the Barbie, Bratz, Horsez and High School Musical games out there. They are either hideously pink and flowery or bright with sparkely colours and stars.

If I were to make a game specifically targeting females it would have to be Goal Orientated, Craft focussed with a fully Refineable/Customizable system and highly interactive.

Unfortunately that game basically already exists: Animal Crossing
Quote from: Danica;790233
I know, I know,,, it runs the risk of cross dressing males playing as women and that whole ugly arguement, but...

Reality is us chix have our faces in alot of places we didn't 10yrs ago. We get hurt, we get shot and we hurt others in the execution of our duties every day around the world as we speak. Whether society likes it or not, its still happening. Its time the games caught up.

I'm a combat soldier in the real world. I would like to see the same ingame. Mechwarrior had an intro vid which included female actors piloting machines in battle. Lets see it repeated in an FPS game. please

Or even better bring back the Mechwarrior and Heavy Gear series, only with a decent physics engine.

Also characterisation of your player and a decent story/plot/background to the gaime, thats ever evolving, is a must have.

Humour -  My brother used to play a Starwars Commando game and it had some bloody funny, realistic banter between the NPC sqaud mates during fire fights. It created atmosphere.

On the subject of atmosphere, F.E.A.R. was the best I've seen at creating that. It used to make me jump!

Quote from: Zhija;790333
I've found it. Star Wars: Battlefront 2, the sniper class for the Rebels was a female. The only example of this I can see anywhere actually :\.

I read these two posts and was abit disappointed

The greatest female game character ever conceived has so far been Samus from the Metroid series and second only to Gordon Freeman as my favourite video game character of all time.
Quote from: Zhija;790273
The female role in games is something that I see being introduced more and more lately, but mainly on consoles ie Heavenly Sword, SoulCalibur and such, but like you say its true there are rarely females in an FPS or even 3rd person shooters. There is probably quite a large market for that, and it will be interesting to see who picks up on it and creates something.

I hardly consider a re-skin of "God of War" or a fighting game with Ninjas to be a 'female role'. Also in FPS the roles of females have always been that of support such as in Halo or that sexy voice for the M.E.C in Battlefield 2. In most MMO's, like Guild Wars, you'll find that females are magic using types.

HOWEVER: There is one FPS game which stands out in regards to females. Unreal. The female character in Unreal could jump higher and was smaller and harder to hit, which made her a popular choice.

I actually have no idea how you could incorporate females into an FPS without giving them some kind of advantage. Tomb Raider did it with boobies

Reply #74 Posted: September 07, 2008, 11:26:42 am
I am now banned from GetSome