Topic: Cool photos you've taken

Offline deadmeatwalking

• Devoted Member
  • deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.
and as MCC said ... dark nights in winter provide the best results .... no moon (as it will wash the sky out with light and make anything in the night sky hard to capture and yeah dark locations away from citys .... in auckland the westcast beachs like maori bay muriwai and karikari and bethells are the best locations

Reply #2375 Posted: January 30, 2014, 09:22:20 pm

Offline 3viction

• Addicted
  • 3viction has no influence.
The downside with using 50mm f1.8 is the fact you have to keep your shutter speed short to stop the star trails .. which in turn causes you to push your iso causing "noise" there is a formula for lenses and "size"

max exposure time = 1000 devided by focal length

So
10mm   : 100 secs
20mm   : 50 secs
50mm   : 20 secs
100mm : 10 secs
300mm : 3.3 secs

.. you wanna keep your aperture as high as possible .. IE: 1.8 or F2.4 F2.8 F3.5 F4 ect ..

your best friend at night is wide angle as it will let more light in so if you have an 18-55 f4 ect .. but its good to experiment (the downside to using a wideangle such as a 10mm lens is that you will always get star movement towards the outside of your lens.

Lemme where your at in nz bro and i can always go out with you and give you some help or point you towards some friends around the country that are very proficient

Awesome thanks for that, that's awesome! Wanna go out and try that now. I thought I read somewhere about having aperture around 8 or 9 but maybe that was for lighter times in the day. I'm down in Christchurch so a bit far from Auckland.
Looking at getting another lens I'm really keen on a wide angle or maybe something like the 15-85mm. Also was maybe thinking about a 18-200mm as a general lens when I can't swap them easily. I've got a 550d.

Reply #2376 Posted: January 31, 2014, 01:29:23 am
snprkd

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
Got in my first sunrise shot on the weekend, two exposures merged in PS with a mask etc.. this was shot on my 600D with my 18-55mm kit lens, forgot my tripod lolol.

Getting some new gear in the next couple of weeks so looking forward to shooting my next sunrise with even better gear! :D

CC and other comments welcome <3

IMO its too red. Like... cool and all, but too processed for me, looks like one of those funny HDR's. I think that's a bit personal preference though.

What new gears you getting?

Looking at a 5D MK3 and ya regular 24-70 and 70-200 and a couple of flash units/stands and umbrellas etc etccccc'
might pick up a 5D MK2 if I can find one with not a massive amount of clicks on her.. most are like 75k+ :/

RE: photo, believe it or not that's how the sky was haha, I did bump up the clarity in the foreground exposure, however that's how red/orange the sky was haha was actually surreal standing there taking the photos as the sky wasn't moving, everything was still and it looked like crazy fireee! I tried cooling it down and messing with the white balance, but it just made it look bland.
Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 09:12:19 am by winter

Reply #2377 Posted: January 31, 2014, 09:01:10 am

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...

Dragonfly by mcctravels, on Flickr

Reply #2378 Posted: February 01, 2014, 03:24:25 pm

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
  • frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.

Dragonfly by mcctravels, on Flickr

Great shot, love the shadow from the wings. Super detail.

Reply #2379 Posted: February 01, 2014, 06:10:40 pm

Offline Benda

• Just settled in
  • Benda has no influence.
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb378/_Benda/IMG_4448_zps1a938e1a.jpg
Cool photos you've taken

Reply #2380 Posted: February 01, 2014, 10:36:23 pm

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
  • bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.
My front garden

Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 06:50:15 pm by bigROBOTbill

Reply #2381 Posted: February 06, 2014, 06:47:46 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Bill....... I don't know how to tell you this.... BUT YOU HAVE A MASSIVE FUCKING BLACK HOLE IN THE MIDDLE OF YOUR GARDEN!

How many shots and what did you use to PP it?

Reply #2382 Posted: February 06, 2014, 06:49:46 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
  • bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.
Lol Growler, it makes lawn mowing quite interesting

About 16 shots on a small compact Canon G10, held vertical on manual exposure, a bit of overlap and then panoramad in Photoshop. Cropped and tidied, reduced the width to about 50 cm made a copy layer, and then added 10 cm of white to the the canvas at the bottom. Changed the image size to be square, you have to untick the 'constrain proportion' for that. Rotate the image vertically. Then the exciting bit, go to filter, distort, polar co-ordinates. Then you play with cutting out the circle, rotating it and giving it some backround

Reply #2383 Posted: February 06, 2014, 06:57:31 pm

Offline deadmeatwalking

• Devoted Member
  • deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.

Untitled by Lindsay sops, on Flickr

A stink bug

(Acrosternum hilare)

Looks much better big

Reply #2384 Posted: February 06, 2014, 08:58:18 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
Is that bug alive?

Reply #2385 Posted: February 07, 2014, 11:11:50 am

Offline deadmeatwalking

• Devoted Member
Is that bug alive?

Kind of :P ... was out cold from flying into the lamp shade

Reply #2386 Posted: February 07, 2014, 11:14:31 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
what macro you using? a try 1:1 or is it a reverse?

Reply #2387 Posted: February 07, 2014, 11:56:29 am
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline deadmeatwalking

• Devoted Member
what macro you using? a try 1:1 or is it a reverse?

nah not reversed shot at 75mm with a tube at F11 @1/200th

Reply #2388 Posted: February 07, 2014, 12:38:06 pm

Offline Growler

ohhh what tubes you using?

Reply #2389 Posted: February 07, 2014, 12:40:08 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline deadmeatwalking

• Devoted Member
the one i made :P ... get the fstop by having lens direct on body set to F11 or what you want and then hold the preview button and take lens off and attach to tube ;)

Reply #2390 Posted: February 07, 2014, 12:44:15 pm

Offline Growler

I was thinking of getting a reverse adapter for my 50mm

Reply #2391 Posted: February 07, 2014, 12:58:52 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline deadmeatwalking

• Devoted Member
hehe bust out the CC and get some of those powered macro tubes :P

Reply #2392 Posted: February 07, 2014, 09:55:30 pm

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
Bee at it.

Nifty 50 with manual tubes hand held 800 ISO

Reply #2393 Posted: February 09, 2014, 07:09:11 pm

Offline Growler

hehe bust out the CC and get some of those powered macro tubes :P

I am tempted in that too, what brand did you end up going with?

Reply #2394 Posted: February 09, 2014, 07:12:05 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline deadmeatwalking

• Devoted Member
none ;) i made mine lol

Reply #2395 Posted: February 09, 2014, 07:46:23 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
I got some cheap $16 tubes from trademe, but am unable to make things focus.

Does the front element need to be super close to the subject or something? Tips plz.

Reply #2396 Posted: February 09, 2014, 07:55:02 pm

Offline deadmeatwalking

• Devoted Member
with macro rings the zoom is your focus ... and if your using a prime your focus is moving closer and further from your subject 

Reply #2397 Posted: February 09, 2014, 07:56:44 pm

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
Bee at it.

Nifty 50 with manual tubes hand held 800 ISO

Gorgeous mate, love it.  Awesome composition.

Reply #2398 Posted: February 10, 2014, 09:14:00 am

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
Thanks winter! :)

Reply #2399 Posted: February 10, 2014, 05:19:56 pm