Topic: Christchurch Treehouse of Awesome-Where everyone knows your name

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Too easy, you'd be pro.

Just as pro as that guy is trying to correct the skid even though he hasn't got any wheels to steer with.

Reply #13625 Posted: July 15, 2012, 11:09:00 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Win+R, cmd , mklink /?

> mklink /?
Creates a symbolic link.

MKLINK [[/D] | [/H] | [/J]] Link Target

/D      Creates a directory symbolic link.  Default is a file
                symbolic link.
        /H      Creates a hard link instead of a symbolic link.
        /J      Creates a Directory Junction.
        Link    specifies the new symbolic link name.
        Target  specifies the path (relative or absolute) that the new link
                refers to.

Use it for anything you like. It's kinda like a more manual way of using Windows 7 Libraries favourite folder things.
Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 11:17:38 am by Pyromanik

Reply #13626 Posted: July 15, 2012, 11:14:57 am

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Mistakenly got up an hour too early.

Wondered why it's still dark.

Reply #13627 Posted: July 16, 2012, 08:04:41 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
print job, i get sent PDFs (from indesign) not what I like for largeformat, especially when there are vector parts and gradients.

print full sized proof, gradients are shit, not surprised as indesign and graphical vectors for large format are shite.

reprint 13 proofs at 50% adjust rip to waste a fuckton of more time to override vectors and supersample them, heaps better, commercially acceptable.

Design house turns it down. Cool.

me: Give me Illustrator files like i require, and there will be no issues.

DH: we use indesign, not illustrator

me: You want pretty vector graphics and special fills, I NEED illustrator.

DH: we dont know how to use illustrator.

me: /facepalm CnP the gradient into photoshop rasterize it then set it as a background image in ind and all issues will be resolved.

DH: raterize? you mean make it a photo?

me: sure, make it a photo........ send me new files.

I get a new cd delivered in about 45 min, bla bla, all fine, print proofs and signed off.

the people I am doing the work for get an email from the DH today saying that I should pay for 4 hours of their time since the files wern't to my requirements......hahahaha fuck me. What's even funnier is I have the live files and creation dates which shows it took them under 30 minutes to make the changes.

I should email the end client and show them their 4 hours they are paying for!

Reply #13628 Posted: July 16, 2012, 04:05:38 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
A design house that doesn't know how to use Illustrator...

I do a lot of my work in InDesign currently because one of the printers we deal with only has Illustrator 7 and we work with CS4. I'm not fucking around designing in Illustrator only to squirt it out as a legacy file and have shit go south because as a legacy format it doesn't support some of the design I've made under CS4.

Reply #13629 Posted: July 16, 2012, 04:09:30 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Don't get me wrong, ID is a great program, but when you start dealiing in massive 1 off templates with vectors, drop shadows and all that sort of bollocks, it just don't cut the mustard.

Actually, adobe in general is pretty fail  with vectors to eps now.

Reply #13630 Posted: July 16, 2012, 04:13:32 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
There needs to be more of an integrated program. Illustrator is a cunt when dealing with raster images and has a terrible time spitting them out in PDFs.

InDesign with its large format vectors...

Reply #13631 Posted: July 16, 2012, 04:30:09 pm

Offline Growler

Reply #13632 Posted: July 16, 2012, 04:39:07 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Growler

If the DH touches base with me again I might tell them I have shipped all my file requirements to Quark..... hahaha I wonder what they will say then.

Reply #13633 Posted: July 16, 2012, 04:40:27 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
Hey Growler - I hate to pester, but have you had a chance to review that poster? I'd appreciate your impetus and feedback.

Reply #13634 Posted: July 16, 2012, 05:01:36 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
For the TLDR - designer sends you shit files then QQs and overcharges when you ask for better ones.

Surely you could have sorted the vectors if they had send a packaged ID file as well?

Reply #13635 Posted: July 16, 2012, 05:09:51 pm

Offline Growler

I normally would, but when they phone me telling me it's my fault and to fix my printer and learn how to operate it...... all form of me helping them goes out the door.

Reply #13636 Posted: July 16, 2012, 05:34:03 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Pyromanik

Reply #13637 Posted: July 16, 2012, 05:41:54 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Quote from: Growler;1494277
I normally would, but when they phone me telling me it's my fault and to fix my printer and learn how to operate it...... all form of me helping them goes out the door.

Jesus fucking christ.

Cardinal sin.

NEVER EVER EVER play your ego to a printer.

What idiots.

Reply #13638 Posted: July 16, 2012, 06:21:08 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Quote from: Growler;1494277

Exactly how I operate.

Reply #13639 Posted: July 16, 2012, 06:27:18 pm

Offline Growler

Reply #13640 Posted: July 16, 2012, 06:32:40 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: Retardobot;1494285
Jesus fucking christ.

Cardinal sin.

NEVER EVER EVER play your ego to a printer.

What idiots.

Or pretty much anyone really. Unless you really do have the goods and you're talking to someone in your own field of expertise... but you still come over as a cockgobbler.

Reply #13641 Posted: July 16, 2012, 06:33:58 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!

Reply #13642 Posted: July 16, 2012, 06:37:12 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Obble

Quote from: Super_Hori;1494318
http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/news/7288720/Boy-3-dies-after-TV-falls-on-him

First world problems.

#zing.

Kids these days are so weak, when i was 3, it was those crt tv's falling on us, and we survived, noobs.

Reply #13644 Posted: July 16, 2012, 11:03:30 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Bahahahaha.

Boss and wife are interviewing some poor sap to replace me. By the sounds of it, the boss is pretty keen on him.

I'm hoping this guy gets a chance to ask me when the boss isn't close by about what it is like to work here.

I wouldn't wish this place on my worse enemy.

Reply #13645 Posted: July 17, 2012, 01:00:12 pm

Offline Aloysius

• Just settled in
  • Aloysius has no influence.
I doubt they will ever let the two of you speak together alone. :S

Reply #13646 Posted: July 17, 2012, 01:07:23 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Hah.

Boss wants me to come in for a few hours next week to show him the ropes in regards to the pathetic attempt at a filing system this place has.

I swear, how many times do I have to say "upgrade the archive" before he'll upgrade the archive. At the moment, the past 6 months of work is being stored locally, and one Mac here has already blown its guts.

Reply #13647 Posted: July 17, 2012, 01:10:58 pm

Offline Growler

is next week your down time?

Tell him you will gladly come in, but will be at call out technicians rates of $150 first hour, $75/hr after. Payable on the finalisation of work on the day.

get him to sign a letter agreeing, or do nothing.

Reply #13648 Posted: July 17, 2012, 01:14:27 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Yep, he's already agreed to pay me more than what he has me on right not to get me in after hours next week.

I get no down time which sucks, finish up this Friday then in at Massey on Monday. I'm going to ask him today about my leave, I have a couple of days. I can give him the option of giving me Thursday and Friday off or paying me out. The tight money grubbing guy he is will want to give me Thursday and Friday off but he'll want me to do as much work as possible before I go.

Reply #13649 Posted: July 17, 2012, 01:18:54 pm