Topic: What would you do with a Year off?

Offline Lyesalot

• Devoted Member
  • Lyesalot has no influence.
I've recently resigned from my employment to take 6-12 months to recharge my batteries, get my health in check and figure out what I want to be doing in the future.
I have a number of things I'm looking to do with my time off - cooking, gym, reading, travel and of coarse catch up on some gaming and tv series.

Discussing this with my workmates has proved very interesting as they all had different things they would do when faced with an extended holiday. This lead me here to see your responses.

SO what would you do with your 'extended holiday'?

Posted: May 20, 2013, 01:06:47 am
iM

Offline nevjmac

• Just settled in
  • nevjmac has no influence.
A year is an awfully long time to take to recharge your batteries, 1-2 months would have been sufficient, assuming that is no the only reason for taking the leave. You need to be careful you don't let it drag out or finding yourself getting depressed. You'll be surprised how many people get lost with that much time off, without a real reason for doing so.

But you would need to fill it with stuff you enjoy doing, consider it a part time retirement. What do you see yourself doing when you retire.

Myself, I would take up a hobby, I quite like making furniture so I would probably pick up a few more tools to be able to do that. Continue gaming. A bit of exploring.

Reply #1 Posted: May 20, 2013, 06:39:39 am

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
This is probably a no go if you have dependants, but if I had 12 months off I'd love to do some volunteer service overseas (one option is http://www.vsa.org.nz/).  It would be a great way of getting immersed in another culture while doing something worthwhile.  Could be quite good for both body and mind depending on what you were doing.

Reply #2 Posted: May 20, 2013, 07:25:14 am

Offline varkk

• Just settled in
  • varkk has no influence.
Get a well kitted out campervan, fill the fuel tank and hit the road.

Reply #3 Posted: May 20, 2013, 08:14:06 am

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
bit of travel - more scale modelling, bit more gaming, gym, maybe learn to sail or a language

Reply #4 Posted: May 20, 2013, 09:31:36 am
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
I'd be so bored that I'd go back to work.

Reply #5 Posted: May 20, 2013, 10:08:50 am

Offline Spigalau

• Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.
Would try & tick off a couple of items on my bucket list:

1) Dive Bikini Atol
2) Dive with Manta Rays
3) Salmon fishing in Alaska

Reply #6 Posted: May 20, 2013, 10:31:08 am
49 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 6d 65 6d 62 65 72 20 77 68 65 6e 20 74 68 65 20 61 69 72 20 77 61 73 20 63 6c 65 61 6e 20 61 6e 64 20 73 65 78 20 77 61 73 20 64 69 72 74 79 2e

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
I'd switch places with my lady so I could be a stay at home dad :)

Reply #7 Posted: May 20, 2013, 10:51:22 am

Offline 5loth

• Addicted
  • 5loth has no influence.
Depends on money/living situation. It could be cheaper to fly somewhere like Mexico, Thailand, India etc. and live there for a year, and would be a great life experience.

Reply #8 Posted: May 20, 2013, 11:08:23 am
sila.

Offline camy205

• Addicted
  • camy205 barely matters.camy205 barely matters.
I was unemployed for 4 months this year and i painted the house, played a lot of video games, did a lot of cooking and I wanted to put a bullet in my brain.

It's very boring. Just make it a month or two bro.

Reply #9 Posted: May 20, 2013, 11:56:59 am
Quote from: Craigorsarus;1484182
GetSome Thread - Generic Timeline:

- Actual Topic
 - Variation of Topic
 - Someone calls someone a retard
 - Fight
 - Actual Topic
 - Fight
 - Troll
 - Your Mum
 - You\'re*
 - TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL
 - What is this thread about?

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Don't shave for a whole year.

Reply #10 Posted: May 20, 2013, 12:57:19 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline varkk

• Just settled in
  • varkk has no influence.
Add another option if money is permitting.
Fly to LA
buy a car
buy a map
Epic roadtrip!

Reply #11 Posted: May 20, 2013, 02:23:25 pm

Offline Kopfjaeger

• Addicted
  • Kopfjaeger has no influence.
paid or unpaid ?  would make a big difference, if paid i'd start working on the bucket list if not working on the land somewhere

Reply #12 Posted: May 20, 2013, 02:59:39 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Need info.
1. Are you single / attached / kids?
2. Do you have funds?

Some years ago now, I sold my house and went on two around the world trips over two years. I met heaps of people on the way who perpetually travel, working and saving here and there. Some of them only had a small amount of cash when they left. The cool thing about being in a foreign country working, is that you don't care about the 'status' of your job so you can do shitty work that pays well without the feeling of judgement that you get at home.

TLDR: I'd highly reccomend it if you can get an around the world ticket and go.

Reply #13 Posted: May 20, 2013, 03:16:58 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: 5loth;1525565
Depends on money/living situation. It could be cheaper to fly somewhere like Mexico, Thailand, India etc. and live there for a year, and would be a great life experience.

Fully agree with this, your western wage goes fucking miles in some countries if you are taking a year off you can do awesome shit, get to know another culture, lie on the beach for months and you will spend less money than if you stayed at home for a year.

Reply #14 Posted: May 20, 2013, 05:20:46 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: BerG;1525560

This

Reply #15 Posted: May 20, 2013, 06:25:30 pm

Offline Lyesalot

• Devoted Member
Quote from: BeNZene;1525554
This is probably a no go if you have dependants, but if I had 12 months off I'd love to do some volunteer service overseas (one option is http://www.vsa.org.nz/).  It would be a great way of getting immersed in another culture while doing something worthwhile.  Could be quite good for both body and mind depending on what you were doing.

Great site. Something for me to look into! Something good for body and mind is what I'm after.

Quote from: BerG;1525560

Definitely a possibility. I'm hoping this time will help me decide where I want to be working or what I'd like to study. I might find myself back working in a few months.

Quote from: winter;1525564
I'd switch places with my lady so I could be a stay at home dad :)

This is surprisingly happening more and more often and I think it's a good thing! I would do the same if I had kids.

Quote from: Kopfjaeger;1525578
paid or unpaid ?  would make a big difference, if paid i'd start working on the bucket list if not working on the land somewhere

Not paid. I'm living for as long as my savings let me or until I feel like working again. I've just started creating my bucket list, untill now I hadn't really thought about it too much.

Quote from: 5loth;1525565

I'm interested in an overseas trip but I'm not sure if it's something I'd want to do on my own but then again maybe that's a reason why I should do it just to challenge myself?
The thought of being in a foreign country on my own does scare the shit out of me a wee bit especially countries that are very different.

Quote from: Emrico1;1525581
Need info.
1. Are you single / attached / kids?
2. Do you have funds?

Some years ago now, I sold my house and went on two around the world trips over two years. I met heaps of people on the way who perpetually travel, working and saving here and there. Some of them only had a small amount of cash when they left. The cool thing about being in a foreign country working, is that you don't care about the 'status' of your job so you can do $#@!ty work that pays well without the feeling of judgement that you get at home.

TLDR: I'd highly reccomend it if you can get an around the world ticket and go.

No real attachments keeping me here and I have savings of around 12-15K so it really depends on how I spend it. I've been living the last 5 years pretty greedy so a lot would need to change if I want it to last or if I want to spend it on a big trip. Which is one of the reasons why I'm doing this.

Reply #16 Posted: May 20, 2013, 06:30:41 pm
iM

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Lyesalot;1525595
Definitely a possibility. I'm hoping this time will help me decide where I want to be working or what I'd like to study. I might find myself back working in a few months.

I've been unemployed for 5 weeks, and I'm bored to fucking tears already.

Reply #17 Posted: May 20, 2013, 06:47:34 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Are you unemployed by choice though? IMO there a massive difference in mindset when you choose to take time off.

Reply #18 Posted: May 20, 2013, 06:50:20 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Lyesalot;1525552
I've recently resigned from my employment to take 6-12 months to recharge my batteries, get my health in check and figure out what I want to be doing in the future.
I have a number of things I'm looking to do with my time off - cooking, gym, reading, travel and of coarse catch up on some gaming and tv series.

Discussing this with my workmates has proved very interesting as they all had different things they would do when faced with an extended holiday. This lead me here to see your responses.

SO what would you do with your 'extended holiday'?

Fuck.

A lot.

In other countries if at all possible.

Reply #19 Posted: May 20, 2013, 06:58:38 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
In all seriousness I think I'd start a hobby project that I could monetise down the track if I wanted.
And run. Being this unfit is shit.
And travel.
And fuck. Life's all about fuck'n.

Reply #20 Posted: May 20, 2013, 07:07:02 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
What most here have said, get overseas somewhere cheap and beautiful and make that 12k go a very long way.

I spent 6 months in South America and had a wonderful time, could of easily spent more time there.

This was my fav spot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilcabamba,_Ecuador

O
r you could just stay at home and single handed keep the forums alive

Reply #21 Posted: May 20, 2013, 07:13:38 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Yea you could take Tiwakings job that is now vacant.

Reply #22 Posted: May 20, 2013, 07:18:21 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
I'd try living it out in Japan. Somewhere i've always wanted to go, see the culture of, Learn the language. I'm practically a Weeaboo.

I actually plan on doing that for 2015. Going to try learn Japanese, Become qualified end of 2014, and just try be a Sparky over there.

Or an english teacher.

Fukkit i'll make it work.

Reply #23 Posted: May 20, 2013, 07:18:29 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Lyesalot

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Bell;1525598
Are you unemployed by choice though? IMO there a massive difference in mindset when you choose to take time off.

Yes I decided to leave my job to figure stuff out and see what else the world has for me. Wasn't an easy decision but I'm positive it's the right one.

Quote from: Bell;1525603
Yea you could take Tiwakings job that is now vacant.

I'm not trained in the art of thread revival.

Quote from: `Kayne;1525604

$#@!kit i'll make it work.

This is pretty much as far as my planning has gone. :D

Reply #24 Posted: May 20, 2013, 08:35:56 pm
iM