19 (6.9%)
Shooting - FPS, 3rd person
56 (20.2%)
Mind - RTS, puzzle games
24 (8.7%)
Action - Martial arts and swordplay
17 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 314

Topic: What would YOU look for in a future game?

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: mattnz;785550
There will be no practical way to do that without impacting on legitimate players.

I know, but it's o.k. to dream, no?

Reply #25 Posted: August 29, 2008, 01:02:22 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline Zhija

• Just settled in
  • Zhija has no influence.
It sounds alot like you guys are talking about M.A.G. - It seems like a pretty cool game, just depends how its implemened, as you say.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/mag/index.html

Reply #26 Posted: August 29, 2008, 01:25:57 pm

Offline c0nc0n

• Just settled in
  • c0nc0n has no influence.
I think games need to be able to have an open environment, but they need to have direction. Take GTA4 for example, despite an open environment (developers didn't lock out sections), I felt safer to stay in the ghetto until I actually got my first gun, by then I felt I knew everything about my area. That kind of gameplay with natural but not forced directions makes games good.

Graphics is important but shouldn't be first priority because then games become superficial and we lose the depth of games. I think the best example of this is Crysis, the focus was graphics, essentially we're left with an interactive graphics test.

Metal Gear Solid 4 comes pretty close in my book to a perfect game, storyline is great, graphics looks good, but there is limited replayability. However, with Metal Gear online, that really helps alleviate that aspect. Although MGS4 is mission based and you MUST move onto the next objectives, there are bits in the game where you feel compelled to play to reach that point again (Rex vs Ray - YEEEEEAAHHH!!!)

With COD5 going back to WWII, I feel somewhat disappointed as I liked the move to modern warfare.. Again, the question stands, are the developers doing it for the money or for the players. I think it would be the latter this time because the WWII games fanbase across the world is pretty damn big.

With releases like Battlefield: Heroes and America's Army 3.0 in the near future, this will bring FPS to a new level, as they're both free games. This forces developers to rethink their approach as A grade titles like those are  being released for free with continued support for a few years to come.

With MMOs, I think in order to attract new players, the cost of playing such games should be reduced, however I'm more than happy to pay for more for a good quiality game that I can play for years although I think reduced fees would bring more players. WoW is great as it pioneered a successful MMO model but I don't think it'll bring more players to it as MMOs that did fail but have good concepts (Fury and Tabula Rasa) will be brought into the mainstream limelight as players look for WoW alternatives.

In terms of RTS, we've gotta see the problems with CnC3 or Red Alert or even Supreme commander as they all require a lot of time.

In general, game developers need to ask themselves whether they're building a game for realism or a game people can pick up and play for a few hours and walk away feeling satisfied. If realism is the way they're planning on going, they need to research their stuff and not market it to everyone as a mainstream game because they know it'll just give a worse response than it actually is (America's army is the prime example of this).

Well that was my wall of text on games and it's future.
c0nc0n

Reply #27 Posted: August 29, 2008, 02:15:24 pm

Project Deep Blue P182 under way

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Gameplay for multiplayer.

Stroyline for singleplayer.

Depends what you're into.
I dig the HL series, where as my flatmate hates it.
He's more of an RPG guy who NEEDS the (personal) character development, and less linear plot.
On the other hand, I dig the cinematic experience, with epic linear plot.

*edit*
Just so you know, I ticked everything in your poll, as they're all relevant when considering the consumer base as a whole.

Reply #28 Posted: August 29, 2008, 02:30:58 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Zhija;785571
It sounds alot like you guys are talking about M.A.G. - It seems like a pretty cool game, just depends how its implemened, as you say.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/mag/index.html

Yea M.A.G is a step in the right direction it will be an amazing step forward for consoles. but 256 players isn't quite the scale im looking for.
I doubt a PC game supporting 256 players would even be classed an Massively Multiplayer like M.A.G is being marketted as.
As I said MMORPGs already currently support worlds with 10000s concurrent players, so bring on the MMOFPS

Reply #29 Posted: August 29, 2008, 02:48:10 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
me and bell pretty much have it sorted.

just give us a few mill, a good publisher and we'll make the best game ever!

Reply #30 Posted: August 29, 2008, 03:34:21 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Zhija

• Just settled in
You'll have some competition my friend ;). My and my friends just so happen to be aspiring game developers, although we don't have any money or training xD. This is NOT a consumer research project though, it is seriously just personal interest.

Many thanks to those of you who voted aswell :D.

Reply #31 Posted: August 29, 2008, 03:47:47 pm

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
  • Chilli has no influence.
Quote from: Zhija;784978
What would YOU look for in a future game??

To be as real as they can make it. Simple really?

Reply #32 Posted: August 29, 2008, 03:52:12 pm
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Quote from: Chillipepper;785651
To be as real as they can make it. Simple really?

There are parts of reality that aren't fun. Hence games.

Reply #33 Posted: August 29, 2008, 04:03:23 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;785635

30mill, 3 years and an EA marketting campaign and you have a deal :P

Reply #34 Posted: August 29, 2008, 04:37:08 pm

Offline nick247

• Addicted
  • nick247 has no influence.
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;785635

what the fuck ever

firstly me and bell have spent alot of time talking about this kind of thing and in my opinion all his ideas were either shit or rip offs of other games (yes bell lets make an RTS with a human race and an alien race that is all about large amounts of numbers and then another alien/humaniod race that is all like mystic and is all about strength over numbers)

secondly bounty is at the very most half as smart as bell. Bounty lists his favourite game of all time as ET on the atari

Reply #35 Posted: August 29, 2008, 04:59:42 pm

Offline Zhija

• Just settled in
Getting back on topic, I read somewhere that a few gamers are looking for more political motivation and activity in gaming. A good example is Splinter Cell: Double Agent. Things like being in a terrorist cell, and PICKING your targets, different targets having different implications for you to get your message across or something. Any thoughts on this, or are most of you just looking for a good game without added complications(Although they make it interesting).

Reply #36 Posted: August 30, 2008, 09:25:40 am

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
^ Nice idea.

Reply #37 Posted: August 30, 2008, 11:39:25 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I'm studing games design atm, it's pretty fun, but alot of work, it's amzing how much work goes into the creation of a game.

Reply #38 Posted: August 30, 2008, 12:03:26 pm

Offline Zhija

• Just settled in
Quote from: Spacemonkey;786076
I'm studing games design atm, it's pretty fun, but alot of work, it's amzing how much work goes into the creation of a game.

Where are you studying, and what's the course like? I'm looking at Media Design School and so far its the best option, but its always good to look around.

Reply #39 Posted: August 30, 2008, 01:18:11 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Are you looking at getting into the art side of things or the code side of things?

Reply #40 Posted: August 30, 2008, 01:25:23 pm

Offline Zhija

• Just settled in
Quote from: Bell;786105
Are you looking at getting into the art side of things or the code side of things?

Art. I've done some basic stuff like this:

animation and stuff but nothing to major, I probably need a decent program and training to do the amazing stuff that you see today...

Reply #41 Posted: August 30, 2008, 01:29:11 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: nick247;785717
what the fuck ever

firstly me and bell have spent alot of time talking about this kind of thing and in my opinion all his ideas were either shit or rip offs of other games (yes bell lets make an RTS with a human race and an alien race that is all about large amounts of numbers and then another alien/humaniod race that is all like mystic and is all about strength over numbers)

secondly bounty is at the very most half as smart as bell. Bounty lists his favourite game of all time as ET on the atari

Like you can talk nick, all you want to make is farming games where you have to go out and grow your crops and then go and touch the horses.

Reply #42 Posted: August 30, 2008, 01:30:31 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: Zhija;786106
Art. I've done some basic stuff like this:animation and stuff but nothing to major, I probably need a decent program and training to do the amazing stuff that you see today...

Dunno much about the art side, except that our dudes use maya alot :P
Media Design School seems pretty respected, I think afew grads from there got hired a couple of months back.

Reply #43 Posted: August 30, 2008, 01:34:16 pm

Offline Zhija

• Just settled in
Yeah I've been taking a look at their stuff and apparently all five post-grad students got jobs last year, so pretty high success rate. Are you studying there yourself Bell?

Reply #44 Posted: August 30, 2008, 01:37:03 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
na I'm working in game dev.

Reply #45 Posted: August 30, 2008, 01:39:29 pm

Offline Zhija

• Just settled in
Oh wow, that's pretty impressive lol. What studio if you don't mind me asking? Also any tips for getting into the industry?

Reply #46 Posted: August 30, 2008, 01:46:57 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
I work as a  programmer at Sidhe Interactive.
Since I'm not an artist I'm prob not the best person to ask.

Showing passion for the industry and having a good portfilo will set you up pretty good.

Reply #47 Posted: August 30, 2008, 02:03:09 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: nick247;785717
what the fuck ever

you mean...I'm...the very best half of bells smart? fuck this is a proud day indeed.

Reply #48 Posted: August 30, 2008, 03:39:36 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Zhija

• Just settled in
Quote from: Bell;786124

Showing passion for the industry and having a good portfilo will set you up pretty good.

Awesome, thanks for that Bell. I've got some friends who are aspiring programmers who might get in touch over PM, lol. Sorry bout that xD.

Reply #49 Posted: August 30, 2008, 05:05:03 pm