Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
  • Prowess has no influence.
Quote from: Wandarah;338545
The 4 great monothestic religions all believe they are the only way to 'get to god'.

what the four bud i can only think of three

Reply #1075 Posted: February 14, 2007, 11:23:24 pm

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
Quote from: Black Heart;337799
its about probability not possibility. you can't say it's not important which god it is either. when you're religious you tend to choose one. that choice can either be right or wrong, but by making that choice the probability of being correct is less, Even if you're right about there being a god, theres a chance that every religion is wrong, or just one is right. they can't all be right. you got more chance of being wrong.

Aethiest 50/50 chance
religious person has nowhere near that chance of being right.

Do you like to gamble, with your soul ? MUahahahHAHAHA

@ SM, Who said you knew how many sides or what markings they had before you made your choice on 1 or 2 ?

nobody chooses a religion or to be an aethiest by chance ,evidence (good or bad) leads to
your decision there is nothing random about what is the right choice.

Reply #1076 Posted: February 14, 2007, 11:33:30 pm

Offline Wandarah

• Addicted
  • Wandarah has no influence.
Quote from: Prowess;338568
what the four bud i can only think of three

Sophism. Ok, sure, slightly outside the same set on the surface.

I recommend a History of God, by Karen Armstrong.

Reply #1077 Posted: February 14, 2007, 11:48:46 pm
Immanentize the eschaton

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
  • Fragin barely matters.Fragin barely matters.
Quote from: Tiwaking!;338540
Repetition

That's not repetition. Completely different. I was talking about religion as a way of living your life. Take christianity: Most christians don't take the bible literally. The 'truth' that they talk about is the message that the bible has to offer eg. "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours arse." - not a truer word said and that's a rule that I live by :). This is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, to try and live your life according to principles that you find you agree with.

That's most christians (i think). Then you have the fundamentalists who take the bible literally. They take it too far and try and use the bible to explain natural phenomena. That's all they come to the "Religion vs Science" fight armed with. In order to try and explain the world around them, the scientists have looked at the world around them. The fundamentalists have only looked at the bible and they get pwned every time.

I don't understand why what i just said above repeats your comment of "belief is less important than faith".

An 'explanation' is different from a 'point'. A clear explanation quite often takes a whole textbook!! A clear 'point' takes less than 3 mins - trust me.

Reply #1078 Posted: February 15, 2007, 12:22:34 am
Originally Posted by Templar
If my mother kills someone, then gets out of jail and kills someone again and she is guilty beyond any doubt, then yes I will be sad but she\'d have to go.

Originally Posted by Xt1ncT
You see, you or Pyro doesn\'t get to choose how I define my own words. I do.

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
This thread is well on it's way to achieving Oboganamaism.

Reply #1079 Posted: February 15, 2007, 12:24:12 am
If my mother kills someone, then gets out of jail and kills someone again and she is guilty beyond any doubt, then yes I will be sad but she\'d have to go.

Offline Charlie C

• Just settled in
  • Charlie C has no influence.
Quote from: Hannibal4life;338191
... to clarify the official Christian position... they were in fact created on the same day as other land animals... provide more evidence ...

Official Christian position? Who made you the voice of Christendom? Created on the same day?  Arrgh!!
Translation sucks, especially when you have a single word that you want to translate into another single word, not a phrase.  For example, the Hebrew word 'yom' means 'period of time', not 'day' as it was translated to English in Genesis.  Therefore according to Genesis, God created the world in six 'periods of time', not six days.  As there doesn't seem to be any scale given to these periods of time, they could have been vast, millions or hundreds of millions of years.  This biblical creation was carried out by an eternal God, for whom time means nothing.
I WISH people would stop suggesting they can provide evidence of this, evidence of that, evidence of God.  There is no quantifiable and logical evidence, it's all faith.

BTW my wife's been reading some of my posts and has smartly informed me that there is no reason to be using expletives in the forums.  She's right of course, but they create a kind of special emphasis in the right places :) BUT... pwned by wife.

Reply #1080 Posted: February 15, 2007, 01:08:49 am
BDAKiwi
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: Charlie C;338648
BTW my wife's been reading some of my posts and has smartly informed me that there is no reason to be using expletives in the forums.  She's right of course, but they create a kind of special emphasis in the right places :) BUT... pwned by wife.

But expletives are fucking awesome!

Reply #1081 Posted: February 15, 2007, 02:04:13 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: Wandarah

Wait, wait, wait, what are you still posting for?
I thought you lost earlier because of Goodwins Law?!

Quote from: BerG
Imagine if this was merged with the religion mega-thread, where we have already pwned jay kay and religion many times over.

It wouldn't just be a mega-thread, it would be such an amazing thread that we would have to make up a new name, like Oboganama-thread.

What about Superiousipenultimate-thread?

Reply #1082 Posted: February 15, 2007, 07:40:34 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Hannibal4life;338191
No, sorry to clarify the official Christian position to dinosaurs - if its mentioned in the bible then Christian believe it.

What do you mean the 'official' Christian position? You mean the 'official' Christian creationist literalist position. Don't group the views of an entire religion with the narrow-minded views of a sub-group.

In my opinion, it's the Christian literalists which give the rest of Christians a bad name. The are many Christians who believe in a much older Earth, and believe in evolution and that science and religion can comfortably co-exist, but then all their good work gets ruined by the backward views of the literalists.

Remember the bible is written by humans, it's not the word of God. And it's meant to be taken metaphorically, like any creation myth.

Reply #1083 Posted: February 15, 2007, 08:20:27 am

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
Quote from: Prowess;338556
also the translation of the link is old king james version and while they did
thier best to translate they did not have the knowledge of hebrew and the support of anybody who knew the literature.a more resent translation says "muscles in his belly".
lastly it is hard to go past the "tail like a cedar" if you could point out another species that matches this i would love to know about it.

No they got owned so they re-interpreted it.

and it doesn't say tail like a cedar. it says tail moves like a cedar.

some think this is a penis joke, it probably just refers to the way it sways when it walks

Reply #1084 Posted: February 15, 2007, 08:33:54 am

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
Quote from: Prowess;338579
nobody chooses a religion or to be an aethiest by chance ,evidence (good or bad) leads to
your decision there is nothing random about what is the right choice.

actually it's mostly whatever religion you are taught. so if your in the middle east the most likely  religion you'll learn is muslim. Parents have alot to do with it.

Reply #1085 Posted: February 15, 2007, 08:35:46 am

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
Quote from: Arnifix;338663
But expletives are fucking awesome!

That's 50c for the swear jar.

Reply #1086 Posted: February 15, 2007, 06:07:37 pm

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
Quote from: Wandarah;338599

never heard of it what do they believe in?

Reply #1087 Posted: February 15, 2007, 09:47:44 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Tiwaking!;338540
Repetition

Quote from: Fragin';338635
That's not repetition. Completely different. I was talking about religion as a way of living your life. Take christianity: Most christians don't take the bible literally. The 'truth' that they talk about is the message that the bible has to offer eg. "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours arse." - not a truer word said and that's a rule that I live by :). This is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, to try and live your life according to principles that you find you agree with.

That's most christians (i think). Then you have the fundamentalists who take the bible literally. They take it too far and try and use the bible to explain natural phenomena. That's all they come to the "Religion vs Science" fight armed with. In order to try and explain the world around them, the scientists have looked at the world around them. The fundamentalists have only looked at the bible and they get pwned every time.

I don't understand why what i just said above repeats your comment of "belief is less important than faith".

Sorry for the confusion fragin :( I accidentally put the word 'repitition' there. I was meant to put a proper sentence, but accidentally posted it and it totally slipped my mind

The quote of mine was a quick response to your post, which I disagree with, but is fairly concisely contained within that quote.
Quote from: Fragin';338635
An 'explanation' is different from a 'point'. A clear explanation quite often takes a whole textbook!! A clear 'point' takes less than 3 mins - trust me.

*cough* LIGHT CONES *cough*
Sorry, that was rude. There are definitely 'points' which can take much more than 3 mins to read and even longer to understand. Peter Lynd's utterly fallacious theorie's on time for instance

Quote from: Spacemonkey;338720
What do you mean the 'official' Christian position? You mean the 'official' Christian creationist literalist position. Don't group the views of an entire religion with the narrow-minded views of a sub-group.

In my opinion, it's the Christian literalists which give the rest of Christians a bad name. The are many Christians who believe in a much older Earth, and believe in evolution and that science and religion can comfortably co-exist, but then all their good work gets ruined by the backward views of the literalists.

Remember the bible is written by humans, it's not the word of God. And it's meant to be taken metaphorically, like any creation myth.

Quote from: Tiwaking!;333338
Simply put: Fundamentalist Christian attitudes have severely damaged the image of Christianity.

Hannibal has posted quite abit about Christian Theology, unfortunately: Fundamentalist Christian groups do the same thing, so to an uncaring observer: Hannibal is a Fundamentalist(blatantly not true)

Although he's pushing the limits at the moment

She's 100% correct. When you swear at someone you do two things. 1) Create intimidation. 2) Artificially obscures your point.
Scaring people into thinking like you achieves nothing. If scaring people into thinking like you worked, we wouldnt need torture.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;338690
Wait, wait, wait, what are you still posting for?
I thought you lost earlier because of Goodwins Law?!

He knew about Goodwins law and deliberately invoked it
Quote from: Wikipedia
It is considered poor form to arbitrarily raise such a comparison with the motive of ending the thread. There is a widely recognized codicil that any such ulterior-motive invocation of Godwin's Law will be unsuccessful. This is sometimes referred to as "Quirk's Exception". "RGB's Restriction of Quirk's Exception", also states: "In cases where the subject of the comparison to Hitler fails to recognize the applicability of Quirk's Exception, Quirk's Exception shall not apply and Godwin's Law shall take effect in its normal manner."

Thusly: Quirks exception takes precedent
Quote from: Wandarah;338599

I dont actually know what Sophism is

Reply #1088 Posted: February 15, 2007, 09:54:05 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
Quote from: Black Heart;338742
actually it's mostly whatever religion you are taught. so if your in the middle east the most likely  religion you'll learn is muslim. Parents have alot to do with it.

yeah lucky youlive in a country where you can look at proper
sientific everdence and make up your own mind.but what ever
you beleive you should always look hard at what supports it.
i dont see a hole lots holding up dawinism.also point about
the tail moving like a cedar i still dont see any other option.

Reply #1089 Posted: February 15, 2007, 10:02:16 pm

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
thanks ill try and find somthing about it later sounds out of it.

Reply #1090 Posted: February 15, 2007, 10:05:38 pm

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
Official Christian position? Who made you the voice of Christendom? Created on the same day?  Arrgh!!
Translation sucks, especially when you have a single word that you want to translate into another single word, not a phrase.  For example, the Hebrew word 'yom' means 'period of time', not 'day' as it was translated to English in Genesis.  Therefore according to Genesis, God created the world in six 'periods of time', not six days.  As there doesn't seem to be any scale given to these periods of time, they could have been vast, millions or hundreds of millions of years.  This biblical creation was carried out by an eternal God, for whom time means nothing.
I WISH people would stop suggesting they can provide evidence of this, evidence of that, evidence of God.  There is no quantifiable and logical evidence, it's all faith.

'yom' is used in context to express the time wanted by the author.it is used to describe a
random amont of time,a year or in this case 24hrs this was the authors context.

Reply #1091 Posted: February 15, 2007, 10:09:39 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
i like manicheanism, partly cause its got a long and difficult to spell name. partly because of the possibility of truth and partly because the poor bastard got his beans, (wiped out by christians with extreme prejudice)

neo manicheanism is even LONGER!!

Reply #1092 Posted: February 15, 2007, 10:12:21 pm

Offline Menial

• Addicted
  • Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.
Mad props guys, good convo, looks like alot to read tbh.

Reply #1093 Posted: February 15, 2007, 10:14:23 pm

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
Quote from: Tiwaking!;339627
*cough* LIGHT CONES *cough*
Sorry, that was rude. There are definitely 'points' which can take much more than 3 mins to read and even longer to understand. Peter Lynd's utterly fallacious theorie's on time for instance
Read my post again. 'clear' means easily understood.

Reply #1094 Posted: February 15, 2007, 10:16:36 pm

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
Quote from: Spacemonkey;338720

both judaists and muslims take thier books to be literal so why do christians get
to pick and chose what they do and do not like/take literaly.also all provable science
does not contardict the bible they do compliment each other.

Reply #1095 Posted: February 15, 2007, 10:16:44 pm

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
Quote from: Black Heart;339671
i like manicheanism, partly cause its got a long and difficult to spell name. partly because of the possibility of truth and partly because the poor bastard got his beans, (wiped out by christians with extreme prejudice)

neo manicheanism is even LONGER!!

intersting care to explain what that word means

Reply #1096 Posted: February 15, 2007, 10:19:10 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Fragin';337842
That guy in the video is such a noob. Nothing he said is new and he made the same mistake that so many others make. Everything he said was based on the assumption that there is no evidence for a god. That in itself is a matter of opinion. An agnostic is one who has that opinion - logic has little to do with it.

I dont agree with him. Nothing he said is new, but most of the people who have been sucked into this thread have heard them. And yes he's made the same mistake that many have, BUT....hasnt everyone in this thread?
Quote from: Black Heart;337853
well thats just the glass is half full /empty. accepting a possibility when there are 2 options defaults to rejecting the other.
ie rejecting that there might be no god, because of the bible.
EDIT : Yes I worded it terribly.

Actually you worded this better than you could have had you had worded it correctly. "Given the evidence of God put forward by God give us a basis of evidence AGAINST God"
Quote from: Hannibal4life;338180
You are in fact wrong on this account. I refer your eyes to Job 40:15 onwards.

Job is a well known Bedouin story. Im trying to put together words so I'll just fire out what Im thinking. "Why would you believe a morality story which isnt based on Christian intent?"
Quote from: Hannibal4life;338228
Yeah interestly enough Blackheart. Only one religion actually claims they are the only way to get to God. That is in fact Christianity when Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one gets to the father except thrrough me."

Muslims believe Jesus was a prophet... if a prophet cannot lie (their belief) then there is no point being muslim, cos Jesus said only he could save right...
Most other religions have a theory along the "Karma, or Nirvana" lines.
The choice is therefore easier, cos if the others are right (not Christianity for instance), then really you lose nothing, whereas if Christianity is the way then its the only way to heaven.

If you worship Allah and have no other gods before him, if you follow the teachings of his prophet Muhammed and all the laws laid down by him: Then you go to Heaven. There are of course a few problems with Islam which I wont go into because it's not nice(suicide bombers, Aisha, etc)

The wheel of Dharma, Nirvana and re-incarnation in Buddhism are fairly universally misinterpreted. In fact: Bodhidharma's first trip into China highlighted the misinterpreation of the ideal of Karma that the Chinese had.
Quote from: dirtyape;338419
i'm afraid you are deluded if you think that science compliments that which is written in the bible. That which science does compliement christianity upon is but a grain of sand on a beach of condemnation.

I know it's hard when someone discredits what you believe in, i mean no offence. I am mearly pointing out the evidence is stacked against christianities explanation of existance.

Reinterpretation of this post for dummies: "Religion picks out proof from Scientific discoveries, but all credit goes to God" - If anyone's ever studied modern reinterpretations of the Koran in relation to Quantum Mechanics, you'd realize just how ridiculous this all is
Quote from: Tiwaking!;338501
This is one of the reasons why Im out of this discussion: Any clear point Im going to make is going to take at least 3 minutes to read, and thats just nasty. Forums are for entertainment not lectures!

Well it turns out that people here actually WANT lectures! Why you'd want such punishment is beyond me. I guess I'll hang around and poke fun at peoples incredibly wrong viewpoints

Reply #1097 Posted: February 15, 2007, 10:19:33 pm

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
partly because of the possibility of truth and partly because the poor bastard got his beans, (wiped out by christians with extreme prejudice)

like to see a group off humans who hasn't wiped out another for no real reson
and do you blame the god or the people twisting the message.

Reply #1098 Posted: February 15, 2007, 10:24:48 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Fragin';339681
Read my post again. 'clear' means easily understood.

....how is it possible to explain something like 'light cones'(or even an aspect) which would take less than 3 minutes to read and be easily understood?

Assuming a person has a reading speed of 160 wpm that would mean that I would have to write 440 words in a single post. Fortunately not possible due to the 500 character limit
Quote from: Prowess;339682
both judaists and muslims take thier books to be literal so why do christians get
to pick and chose what they do and do not like/take literaly.also all provable science
does not contardict the bible they do compliment each other.

And all three of these Religion's are horribly fractured. I wonder why that is?

Provable science deals with fact's, not fallacies. Why would scientific method be applied to fairy tales?

Reply #1099 Posted: February 15, 2007, 10:32:44 pm